SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) At 145 St station, since there was a fastrak G/O having the (1) to 148 St (previously), did the doos open on the first 5-cars of the R62As?

2) Briarwood is seperate, IIRC, meaning one straight entry to Jamaica and another to Manhattan

Edited by Calvin

1) At 145 St station, since there was a fastrak G/O having the (1) to 148 St (previously), did the doos open on the first 5-cars of the R62As?

2) Briarwood is seperate, IIRC, meaning one straight entry to Jamaica and another to Manhattan

(1) trains bypassed 145 St in both directions

Edited by Fresh Pond

I'm surprised you didn't just link to the Bulletin on issuu.com.

By the way, the ERA has almost every issue of the Bulletin from 2000 to the present, along with some other goodies, all available there.

EDIT: Just realized that today is the 30th anniversary of the first run of the R68s. They'd enter service on the (D) just two weeks before the line was split for Manhattan Bridge repairs. Also occurring on this date, the Jamaica line was cut back from its then-temporary terminal at Queens Blvd to its final temporary terminal at 121 Street.

Edited by Lance

Does anyone know why do Jamaica bound (E) and (F) always slow down and craw into Forest Hills 71st Ave? It always seems to happen in the evenings and it's always at 67th Ave when we stop and crawl then stop again and it's annoying.

I think it happens throughout the day but it's worst in the evening from my experience. It causes me to miss that Q64 connection all the time.

Does anyone know why do Jamaica bound (E) and (F) always slow down and craw into Forest Hills 71st Ave? It always seems to happen in the evenings and it's always at 67th Ave when we stop and crawl then stop again and it's annoying.

I think it happens throughout the day but it's worst in the evening from my experience. It causes me to miss that Q64 connection all the time.

Forest Hills-71 Av is where the (M) and (R) turn around. In order to turn around they have to use both express tracks to get to the Westbound side. That's probably why they slow down there.

I don't know which (J) station was it(121st, 111st or 104) but every time my train arrives at the station and opens the door, the train's HVAC and the lights shuts off. The HVAC and the lights came back on after a few seconds leaving the station. I was going towards Manhattan. Has anyone every rode a train without the HVAC on?

Edited by Q113 LTD

I don't know which (J) station was it(121st, 111st or 104) but every time my train arrives at the station and opens the door, the train's HVAC and the lights shuts off. The HVAC and the lights came back on after a few seconds leaving the station. I was going towards Manhattan. Has anyone every rode a train without the HVAC on?

Something similar happens on the (1) at 157th St. Probably a gap in the third rail, since I tend to ride in the same car.

Also, I've ridden a train with broken HVAC...during the summer...it's miserable. 

Anyone see in the board materials the increase in (2) and (7) service?

Yep. Well deserved weekend increase for the (2), and IMO it should go into effect immediately. Same for the weeknight (7) increase. They cut too much around the time they cut back the <7> to basically rush hour only.

My only concern with the (2) increase is that it will likely set up a permanent weekend cut to (5) service in the future.

I do not like the (2) during rush hours. Every time when it's at the station it's always crowded, and you have to stand most of the time. Adding it further, it's pretty slow sometimes (with train traffic). It feels like you're on the Tokyo metro. Not only that, it looks better to ride the (3) during rush hours. More seats and a faster ride. 

The  (2) sucks on weekends with its current headways. 8 minute headways will be beneficial to the (2). When the (1) was suspended entirely (2)s ran every 8 minutes and I'm surprised to see packed trains in the Bronx.​

The (1) (the line I live nearby) has crowded trains on weekends when it isn't suspended. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

I understand people don't like to wait for trains and busses, and alot of times people don't care the reason for a train or bus to be late. Its not like a train can make up the difference when its already late. Its on tracks and theres uncontrollable situations that causes trains to be late.

So why doesn't the mta just say most of the issues are uncontrollable, flooding, construction, track work, sjgnal issues causes most of the problem. Combined with not moving fast, I surprised some of these trains go past 30mph when there is so much going on.

The  (2) sucks on weekends with its current headways. 8 minute headways will be beneficial to the (2). When the (1) was suspended entirely (2)s ran every 8 minutes and I'm surprised to see packed trains in the Bronx.​

Doesn't surprise me the (1) gets a decent amount of riders in the Bronx.

Not sure if anyone's actually picked up on it, but I observed that they've begun installing joint strip maps on (2) and (5) R142's... it's about time it happened.

If anyone's got good pics of them I'd appreciate it. Couldn't get on one of the trains that had them to see them well.