SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Looks like last Tuesday during that big downpour we had.

...and onto the train... Just imagine you're texting and boom outta nowhere a gush of water all over you. LOL

I've seen photos from Penn Station that were crazy too. Whole platform just flooded with water from above.

There wasn't a downpour in Far Rockaway. I was surprised when I saw those photos of stations flooded.

1 minute ago, EphraimB said:

There wasn't a downpour in Far Rockaway. I was surprised when I saw those photos of stations flooded.

Well it poured most of the day in Manhattan.  I had my rain boots on the entire day. It was like the coming of Moses. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

...and onto the train... Just imagine you're texting and boom outta nowhere a gush of water all over you. LOL

I've seen photos from Penn Station that were crazy too. Whole platform just flooded with water from above.

Thats a fact...The way that looks like if someone poured a truck load of water on the subway....Ive seen a flood but thats different right there

Just now, biGC323232 said:

Jesus christ....This kind of shit could be very dangerous

You're telling me. I almost slipped some months ago on both the mezzanine and the platform at Grand Central.  It's like walking on ice. That (L) train station though... I have never seen any station that flooded before. That is crazy.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Id love water to gush all over me :lmao:

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Id love water to gush all over me :lmao:

If I was a tourist, I would think what in the hell kind of subway system does NYC have where it floods inside like this? I can't think of any other subway that I've used where this has happened.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Lately, I feel like the subway has gotten a lot better. I know that everyone might not agree but to a certain extent, most operators I feel are hauling ass once again especially on express runs. Idk if I get lucky with operators or they're actually removing useless timers such as the one at 74th st on the (7). Dispatch is a whole nother story because when you see multiple trains approaching the terminal, how do you not have the common sense to start sending some trains out?? The subway has improved a tiny bit IMO, though there are still lots of problems that need to be addressed like flooding. 

On 9/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, danielhg121 said:

Lately, I feel like the subway has gotten a lot better. I know that everyone might not agree but to a certain extent, most operators I feel are hauling ass once again especially on express runs. Idk if I get lucky with operators or they're actually removing useless timers such as the one at 74th st on the (7). Dispatch is a whole nother story because when you see multiple trains approaching the terminal, how do you not have the common sense to start sending some trains out?? The subway has improved a tiny bit IMO, though there are still lots of problems that need to be addressed like flooding. 

Changes have been slow in my opinion from the slightly hyperbolic "State Of Emergency" Cuomo declared last year. While the agency is picking itself up for once (i've seen less trash, delays seem to be down, communication is better), crowding still is an issue, trains are still greatly unreliable for many and fares keep going up for little justified service.  It's a good start in my book, though more improvements in the system will be needed for it to handle future generations.

I'd personally give Byford some more time to improve - I don't expect the bureaucracy to be easy to overcome.

However, if he has been on the job for lets say more than a year and a half (next summer) and we don't see any improvements, I would grow skeptical and believe that he has either submitted to politics or is trapped by it. 

21 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'd personally give Byford some more time to improve - I don't expect the bureaucracy to be easy to overcome.

However, if he has been on the job for lets say more than a year and a half (next summer) and we don't see any improvements, I would grow skeptical and believe that he has either submitted to politics or is trapped by it. 

He certainly has potential to make major contributions to the subway system if done right (Ex. Fast Forward). And the dedication he has for the system isn't to be scoffed at either. So im certainly hoping for the best from him, though after seeing him handle the SIM buses on Staten Island, I do have some respectful skepticism for him too, even if he is by definition an exemplary transit president. 

Going back to the subway and a prior point I made, I don't expect the system to suddenly turn into one like MTR's overnight (doesn't even need to). But what I want to see is the system showing signs of being able to keep up. From the factors of increasing ridership and crowds, rising fares, cleanliness and service. From what I've seen this year, im not exactly sure our system can keep up and maintain itself with the times if it keeps improving at this current rate. It's a lot to ask for and it wont come without troubles, but it by no means is impossible either.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

Today R62As were on the (4), difference was this time the (4) was running express in Brooklyn where's prior weekends they had this G.O The (4) had been scraping the wall in BK due to the Clark Street work.

Got to ride one in both directions between Fulton and Utica, loved it😃 

At times we ran along side a 62 (3) trains, felt like it was the 90s again 😄 

8 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today R62As were on the (4), difference was this time the (4) was running express in Brooklyn where's prior weekends they had this G.O The (4) had been scraping the wall in BK due to the Clark Street work.

Got to ride one in both directions between Fulton and Utica, loved it😃 

At times we ran along side a 62 (3) trains, felt like it was the 90s again 😄 

Didnt this issue happen with the R142 testing in the Steinway tunnels?