SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

A-1: Made by Alstom. 4 car sets. Only on the (J)(L)(M)(Z)

A-2: Made by Alstom. 5 car sets. listen to the door motors when they close. They make a "whirring" sound

B: Made by Kawasaki. 5 car sets. Door motors are quieter. Half of the R160Bs have Siemens traction motors.

Just look for the builders plate at the end of every car

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A-2: Made by Alstom. 5 car sets. listen to the door motors when they close. They make a "whirring" sound

B: Made by Kawasaki. 5 car sets. Door motors are quieter. Half of the R160Bs have Siemens traction motors.

Beat me to it :P

On door motors. (Q) train is a R160A, (N) train is a R160B.

On door motors. (Q) train is a R160A, (N) train is a R160B.

Both the (N) and (Q) use any R160's from CI Yard.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

No visual aids? Damn.

R160A-1 8313-8652, 9943-74

R160A-2 8653-8712,9233-9802

R160B (alstom) 8713-8842,9103-9232,9803-9942

R160B (semeins) 8843-9102

I hope that helped for those who need info on the cars

CI yard has 8653-8712,8713-9192

Jamaica has 9193-9232,9233-9802,9803-9942

ENY has 8313-8652,9943-74

Jamaica had 9163-92 until the (G) was officially sent to CI

Edited by R32 3838

Might be old news to many. In case no one saw this yet....

From the New York Transit Museum's Facebook page:

"Ten years ago today the R36 Redbirds made their last runs in active service. They were brought out for the 1964 World’s Fair but didn’t receive their distinctive red coloring until the 1980s. R36 World’s Fair cars 9586 and 9587 will be coming to the New York Transit Museum soon, pending a new paint job! You may recognize them from the unforgettable car & subway chase scene in The French Connection (although the car numbers were changed for the film)!"

1391540_10151777140873843_709193597_n.jp

Also being added to the fleet, this BMT Pump Car:

"Say hello to a future member of our collection: The original BMT Pump Car! The left image shows the pump car in 1940, and the right image shows the car now. After layers of paint are removed, the car will be restored to its original maroon color. Pump trains were used after Superstorm Sandy to drain flooded tunnels. Courtesy of New York Transit Museum

1401309_10151777139013843_1280511700_o.j

Another subway surfer gets hurt. I mean really, sorry to say but in this case that was simply stupid for him to do that. Regardless I wish him a safe recovery despite the moronic stunt he performed that nearly got him killed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-subway-surfer-smacks-head-steel-beam-article-1.1506946

A subway “surfer” was seriously injured when he struck his head on a steel beam while riding atop an F train in Brooklyn Tuesday, the second such accident in a week, police said.

The victim, believed to be in his 20s, was rushed to Lutheran Hospital in critical condition after the 2:20 a.m. incident.

He smacked into a beam as the southbound train travelled between the Smith-9th Street and Fourth Ave. stations, police said.

The victim had no ID on him, but he was carring his cell phone, which police are using in an effort to learn his name.

Another subway surfer gets hurt. I mean really, sorry to say but in this case that was simply stupid for him to do that. Regardless I wish him a safe recovery despite the moronic stunt he performed that nearly got him killed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-subway-surfer-smacks-head-steel-beam-article-1.1506946

I don't feel sorry for this idiot, not do I wish him a safe recovery. I can't feel sorry for dumb-asses and general morons. If he died, it's just another case of Darwinism at its finest.

I don't feel sorry for this idiot, not do I wish him a safe recovery. I can't feel sorry for dumb-asses and general morons. If he died, it's just another case of Darwinism at its finest.

"Nor do I wish him a safe recovery"?

You got something to prove here, man? Guy f**ked up, if every dumb choice young people made led to death we'd have nobody left alive.

I feel differently. I tend to mind my business on the subway but there has been several incidences where as a good samaritan I saved people from sexual predators, helped a man going through a heart attack ready to perform CPR, and a time I prevented a drunk man from jumping right into the tracks in the path of an approaching train.

Of course the kid made a mistake but I do not wish death upon him for it.

It's called actually giving a shit about fellow New Yorkers.

Random Observations - 11/5/13

Just got out of a meeting down in Brooklyn and riding the (F) line to get to the Brighton Line to get home. Among the things i saw at Coney Island Yard:

R16 6305 is painted almost completely in silver. Car looks really neat; they didnt get much of the upper roof, though. No painting done to 6339 it seems. A BMT Standard is hooked to the R16s. No pictures, as it was getting pretty dark.

Also, the lone R46 is car 5576. It's no longer a lone car; a B-car was hooked to it. So I assume this car and the rest of the 4-car unit was there for some sort of long term work.