SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My adventure on the (A) today...

For starters, I needed to go into Harlem to visit someone so I decided to take the (L) to the junction and catch the (A) from there.

...big mistake

For starters, when I got downstairs, I see it sitting on the local track. Started to move down the train since I needed the front. Ended up walking all the way to the front if the train in no rush at all and the train was still sitting there. Ended up making all local stops along the way.

Fast forward further up the line and we get to 14 St, and they announce that the train would be terminating at 145 St because of a broken rail at 155 St. Kinda inconvenienced me since I needed 155, but I shrugged it off. Get to 50 St, and they said service resumed...get to 59 St and a (B) pulls in on the express track next to us. That gets put in front of us, and we go local right behind it. Along the way to 125 St, we end up getting passed by 2 (D) trains.

I can't believe they suspended the (C) entirely all for a rail condition at just one station when they could have just had it run express in both directions between 168 and 125. I guess they didn't want to do any switching at 168 and 125, so they decided to just have the (A) make all stops instead. Another thing is that...whenever there's a snowstorm, southbound (A) trains are always running on the local track from 168 to 145, then switch back to the express, most likely due to trains being stored on the southbound express track on that aforementioned section.

You could have taken the (L) to 8th ave they took a train from there

I normally do that

I can't believe they suspended the (C) entirely all for a rail condition at just one station when they could have just had it run express in both directions between 168 and 125. I guess they didn't want to do any switching at 168 and 125, so they decided to just have the (A) make all stops instead. Another thing is that...whenever there's a snowstorm, southbound (A) trains are always running on the local track from 168 to 145, then switch back to the express, most likely due to trains being stored on the southbound express track on that aforementioned section.

What's funny is downtown trains (along with the (E)) were going express from 59 St to Canal St because something else happened. Had I gotten on the (A) at 14 St, I would not have gotten a seat.

I was home at that the time when the (C) was suspended and the (A) went local from Euclid Av to Hoyt. I take the (A) all the time from Far Rockaway to Chambers St. Today, the Broad Channel Bridge was stuck open for 10 minutes. I got a notification like 3 minutes later after the conductor made an announcement. You should try out this app call "My MTA Alerts Mobile". You will receive automatic notification regarding to service changes, delays & planned work. Or you can try "NYC Transit Status", which is similar to the other app but instead of receiving notification automatically, you can choose what subway line, RR or bus you take everyday and you will see the information.

Who else has downloaded this NYC signalling simulator? As a Singapore rail enthusiast, is this worth a download and try to get a feel of those MTA people working in the local tower or RCC? 

It looks like it was developed back at the start of the 2000s. is there any updated version elsewhere?

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/NXSYS,_Signalling_and_Interlocking_Simulator#Download.2C_Version_1_for_Microsoft_Windows

No. It happened before, and it works fine. The MTA can even pair up an R160A and R160B if they wanted to.

They mix an R160A with an R160B every day since they both have the Alstom traction motors. No difference between the two, except for who built them and the type of door motors...

Now mixing a set with Alstom motors with a set with Siemens motors happens less often (but still happens every now and again) because of the braking methods they use.

There is an R68 car #2755 with it's original number boards. I didn't get my camera out in time.

That car was in an accident when it was new. Got hit by a flat car on one side, fixed it and never put the right number plate on it

They mix an R160A with an R160B every day since they both have the Alstom traction motors. No difference between the two, except for who built them and the type of door motors...

Now mixing a set with Alstom motors with a set with Siemens motors happens less often (but still happens every now and again) because of the braking methods they use.

At least they can get away with coupling together Alstom R160's with Siemens R160's without any major problems (other than the braking differential and the weird dueling sounds of the two propulsion packages.)

Heaven forbid if they couple an R142 with an R142A. I heard they tried it once and haven't done it since.

There is an R68 car #2755 with it's original number boards. I didn't get my camera out in time.

Those aren't their original number plates. The original is the same one currently on every R-68 besides the oddball numbers you saw on 2755. Check the oldest photos on nycsubway.org - you can (barely) make out the Standard Medium font on the plates.

Subchat posters mention that these "replacement plates" are actually stickers. Last I checked, that was true for one of them (numbers were even painted white due to wear), but it was too dark for me to see the other one.

Subchat also mentions another possibility for their disappearing plates - that they weren't destroyed, but stolen while it was out of service.

Those aren't their original number plates. The original is the same one currently on every R-68 besides the oddball numbers you saw on 2755. Check the oldest photos on nycsubway.org - you can (barely) make out the Standard Medium font on the plates.

Subchat posters mention that these "replacement plates" are actually stickers. Last I checked, that was true for one of them (numbers were even painted white due to wear), but it was too dark for me to see the other one.

Subchat also mentions another possibility for their disappearing plates - that they weren't destroyed, but stolen while it was out of service.

Interesting, thanks! I only saw it quickly as it was passing through the station.

I will add this to my list of cars I need to look out for.

That car was in an accident when it was new. Got hit by a flat car on one side, fixed it and never put the right number plate on it

I guess that's the equivalent of an R32/38 mix or an R40M/42mix lol

Who else has downloaded this NYC signalling simulator? As a Singapore rail enthusiast, is this worth a download and try to get a feel of those MTA people working in the local tower or RCC? 

It looks like it was developed back at the start of the 2000s. is there any updated version elsewhere?

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/NXSYS,_Signalling_and_Interlocking_Simulator#Download.2C_Version_1_for_Microsoft_Windows

Actually if you look, they just released version 2 for mac. It doesn't have the 3d cab view, but it's fairly cool. Since it's free it's worth a download. Bear in mind it only has 4 interlocking, 2 of them fake. 

But you can conceivably make your own. just not easily. 

Ethan777: Adding on to itmaybeokay's post, the site's blog also mention that Version 2 for Windows is being worked on.

Depending on what you look at, simulations may or may not be accurate. The idea/concept may be spot-on, but the actual operations could be completely different (hence why there are users who'll praise simulations for thier accuracy, while others who have/had actual experience in the industry will denounce the same simulation for being far from the real thing).

I can't say anything about this program though; I already had the application for a few months but haven't set some time aside to play it. But that doesn't mean it's not worth checking out, so if you're interested you should give it a go. You have nothing to lose except the time you spent on it.

Can someone please explain the scheduling of the rush hour (E)? Does it get backed up at JC and the trip to 179th St prevents a backup all the way onto the QBL, and then they leave JC at 4 minute intervals?

The tight rush hour intervals between trains and the layout of the tracks in and around Jamaica Center are why some trains come out of 179 Street.

Whats the purpose of the (B) to Midtown-57 St just for this month? 

They're replacing the switch between the express tracks around W 4 St. Some B trains are being rerouted over the Broadway line to reduce congestion in the slow-zone. That's also why D trains are running local on 6th Ave nights and weekends.