SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Is it me or does Lex feel like your crammed in a sardine can during rush hour...?

Nothing new.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I went through an entire five car set with broken ACs. Every stop, I got out and switched cars. When I got to the sixth car, I could tell that AC beginning to fail too. I gave up and took a Lyft.

On the way back, however, the R142A (4) AC was blasting.

Best. Feeling. Ever. Makes you feel like leftover lasagna. Away from the frying pan and into the freezer with you!

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or does Lex feel like your crammed in a sardine can during rush hour...? 

Just rush hour? Please. The only time you can probably get some elbow room on any Lex train would be in the middle of the night or early morning on the weekends.

Just rode a R62A (6) with broken A/Cs in an ENTIRE five car set. Lexington has some of the hottest stations in the system and it is beyond clear that the 62As cannot handle it. The MTA needs to get these things in the shop asap

This is getting ridiculous. Cars with no AC in this kind of heat is not only unbearable, but also quite dangerous as well as a health issue. I caught a few of these hot boxes and the lack of AC or any kind of air blowing through makes it hard to breathe at times. These cars need to have their systems replaced like immediately. Obviously they can't blitz-repair this problem, but what they should be doing is taking these cars out of service and temporarily replacing them with as many spare 142s and 142As as possible. Yes, I'm aware that September is fast approaching, but passing Labor Day does not mean we will not get any more hot days.

And before anyone says anything, the 62As on the shuttle, maintained out of Livonia, have failing HVACs just like the ones on the (6), so no, it's not Westchester's supposed lack of maintenance.

Just rush hour? Please. The only time you can probably get some elbow room on any Lex train would be in the middle of the night or early morning on the weekends.

This is getting ridiculous. Cars with no AC in this kind of heat is not only unbearable, but also quite dangerous as well as a health issue. I caught a few of these hot boxes and the lack of AC or any kind of air blowing through makes it hard to breathe at times. These cars need to have their systems replaced like immediately. Obviously they can't blitz-repair this problem, but what they should be doing is taking these cars out of service and temporarily replacing them with as many spare 142s and 142As as possible. Yes, I'm aware that September is fast approaching, but passing Labor Day does not mean we will not get any more hot days.

And before anyone says anything, the 62As on the shuttle, maintained out of Livonia, have failing HVACs just like the ones on the (6), so no, it's not Westchester's supposed lack of maintenance.

Truth be told:

The MTA is going to wait until -

Sick passenger delays shoot up dramatically

Lawsuits come their way

Somebody dies

Ignoring this is no longer profitable.

As for me, I simply avoid IRT systems as much as possible. That's where most R62A's are concentrated.

Visit my thread to find alternatives to travel using BMT or IND systems. Name your destination and I'll chart a course. Faster, less walking or do you have an unlimited? Commutes belong to the commuter and so should your time.

Here:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49357-For-Unlimited-Ride-Customers---Try-These-Xfers

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

I'm lucky enough to still be in good shape from my student athlete days. My body has handled everything from -15 F to 115 F, so for me, its nothing more than a irritation (and if I'm going to a business meeting in formal clothes, a huge annoyance). I can't imagine what it is like for people whose bodies are not able to handle those kinds of conditions. 

My question is, is it really that imperative that the (7) have the R188s at this very moment? CBTC isn't active at the moment. As ridiculous as it sounds, is it possible to do temp swaps of 188s and 62As? The (7) being outdoors for a majority of the route would put a lot less strain on the 62A compressors and the newer R188s would be able to handle Lex's suffocating conditions

My question is, is it really that imperative that the (7) have the R188s at this very moment? CBTC isn't active at the moment. As ridiculous as it sounds, is it possible to do temp swaps of 188s and 62As? The (7) being outdoors for a majority of the route would put a lot less strain on the 62A compressors and the newer R188s would be able to handle Lex's suffocating conditions

As ATH stated, with the majority of the cars linked as six-car sets, swapping with the 188s is not an option. Besides, there's still the issue of the cars not having any air at all. Putting the cars on the mostly outdoor (7) will still mean riders are subjected to stifling conditions, whether they're inside the train car or waiting on the platform.

So earlier this afternoon I took my girlfriend home, and my (L) train was a 160. We get in car 8317. I go back home about an hour later, and I get the same exact set.

I'm on the (L) again hours later, and what do you know, 8317 AGAIN lol.

That's happened to me loads of times lmao

Back when 7746 returned to the (4), I'd see that set everywhere I went. Even when I'm walking through the Lexington Avenue platform to get to the (7) platform at Grand Central, I'd see that set just sitting there. One time, I took it to 59th Street and took a three hour trip within Queens. By the time I'm back on the (4), the first train to Woodlawn was 7746.

I've had various other situations like this, but that was the first one that came to my mind.

So earlier this afternoon I took my girlfriend home, and my (L) train was a 160. We get in car 8317. I go back home about an hour later, and I get the same exact set.

I forgot the car number, but there was a pool of vomit in one of the corners of the train. I got off at 72nd St on the (2), spent an hour in the city, and when I went back into 72nd St to go home, I got the same car with the same pool of vomit.

That's been happening with me on the (J). I keep getting set 8341-8344/8345-8348.

You've got a stalker. That happened to me a few times with car 1101 when I would take the (4).

Lucky you. In fact, I've seen the R-143s as (J) trains more often.

Sounds like a planar shift.

*Ding Dong* This station is. Grand Central.

*Ding Dong* As you leave the train, please watch the gap between the train and the platform.

IMG_0065_zpsqukh1h49.jpg

I see the shuttle has borrowed a few "watch the gap" stickers from Metro North.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Those shuttle trains are so annoying and old. Would be great if they got new trains for it.

Until the Times Square rehabilitation (and platform extension) is completed you'll see the R62As ply the line. Afterwards I wouldn't be surprised if the single units get permanently linked into five car sets and get sent to the (6) in exchange for one or two R142As which can just run as five car sets. Edited by Around the Horn

Until the Times Square rehabilitation (and platform extension) is completed you'll see the R62As ply the line. Afterwards I wouldn't be surprised if the single units get permanently linked into five car sets and get sent to the (6) in exchange for one or two R142As which can just run as five car sets.

One reason I don't ride the (S) unless it's balmy out and I don't feel like walking from the East Side to Times Square...