SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that Grand Central station on the Lexington Ave line is always jam packed? As a result, I avoid going there now when I'm heading to my internship at 2 Broadway (I work at CPM). Instead, at Queensboro, I take the N and Q to 59th Street, which is crowded, but not very much since people get off at that station. Also, why is it that the N and Q trains tend to be crowded during the morning rush?

I take the N and Q to 59th Street, which is crowded, but not very much since people get off at that station. Also, why is it that the N and Q trains tend to be crowded during the morning rush?

Transfer stations like 59 Street are like instances of Musical Chair. Provided you can get yourself into the train right after the last person gets off, you have a good shot at getting into the train. Too bad for the polite suckers who wait patiently.

Other stations like that include (in no particular order): Jay Street–MetroTech, Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center, 36 Street (Brooklyn), Fulton Street (Manhattan), 74 Street–Broadway/Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue, Queensboro Plaza, Lexington Avenue–53 Street, 7 Avenue (Manhattan), 14 Street–Union Square.

Broadway–Lafayette Street is not such a station going southbound; everyone who needed to transfer did it at West 4 Street–Washington Square. If a train is full, you don’t have much of a shot getting on. I’ve missed (F) trains, (D) trains, and (B) trains like that.

The new (N) stations along the Sea Beach should look like Beverly & Cortelyou Rds on the (Q) right?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I think so. The MTA posted a rendering of what they're supposed to look like I forgot the link to it though. You can probably search for it on Google to find it.

By being observant.

Delays within the city line are better avoided if commuters just listened & looked. Canal St was a nightmare this weekend...

And some of the users on this forum are either tenured MTA employees or junkies with good leads. I myself can't always preempt things but then again my travel scope is far larger.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! I hope one day I can catch stuff like DJ, I don't even live in the city, but have seen some cool stuff when I stay for prolonged periods, I am going to be in for a few days next week and I am going to spend a whole day going around. I have a checklist already, new time clocks on BMT, g line LED test, maybe hit up a few stations I have not been to and ride the 32s on the JZ line, anything else you can think of? beside the things that could happen all day like rerouting 

Why is it that Grand Central station on the Lexington Ave line is always jam packed?

Not only do you have the already overcrowded Lexington Ave line to contend with, but also all the people connecting to/from Metro-North at Grand Central Terminal.

Thanks for the reply! I hope one day I can catch stuff like DJ, I don't even live in the city, but have seen some cool stuff when I stay for prolonged periods, I am going to be in for a few days next week and I am going to spend a whole day going around. I have a checklist already, new time clocks on BMT, g line LED test, maybe hit up a few stations I have not been to and ride the 32s on the JZ line, anything else you can think of? beside the things that could happen all day like rerouting

You're welcome.

Good talking points.

Those trains are rather old, and are the closest thing to the bad times of 70s past. They are also the most derelict ridden.

Do the locked staircases on the (J)(Z) irritate you sometimes?

I did an article on it. Read it here:

https://plus.google.com/+EricShields-TransitHonchkrow/posts/b5qhDqBoPEP

????Eric Shields | Mass Transit Honchkrow????

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

You're welcome.

Good talking points.

Those trains are rather old, and are the closest thing to the bad times of 70s past. They are also the most derelict ridden.

Do the locked staircases on the (J)(Z) irritate you sometimes?

I did an article on it. Read it here:

https://plus.google.com/+EricShields-TransitHonchkrow/posts/b5qhDqBoPEP

Eric Shields | Mass Transit Honchkrow

I have never actually gotten to ride the JZ lines so thats why i am doing it for the first time. I am trying to think of other subway points of intrest that I can do in a day, got anything?

I have never actually gotten to ride the JZ lines so thats why i am doing it for the first time. I am trying to think of other subway points of intrest that I can do in a day, got anything?

Well, most of the (J)(Z) is elevated, making POIs easy to locate. However, much of the landscape, especially in the East New York section, are shuttered businesses due to a lack of foot traffic, the sticking point of my post.

On weekends, especially the next 25, the (J) is your link to Fulton St as the (A)(C) are available at Essex St during weekends.

Suggested connectors helpful in connecting POI include the B12, B57, and the B38. That trio of buses merges with or follows near the (J)(M)(Z) and have endpoints near popular or well known landmarks.

I'd also suggest taking the (7) to Hudson Yards/34th St and go up and out. Javitts Center is right there. Here's a list of upcoming events

I hope to catch the Star Trek Mission New York Convention this September! Also, check out the surroundings. It's simply a must see place to visit!

I'd also suggest taking the (7) to Hudson Yards/34th St and go up and out. Javitts Center is right there. Here's a list of upcoming events

I hope to catch the Star Trek Mission New York Convention this September! Also, check out the surroundings. It's simply a must see place to visit!

yep already on my list. and see ya at the convention

Something ive notice for month's now is that the (J) has 3 or more sets of R143's running on the line...Does anybody else recognize the same thing...Just curious...

This has been happening for a couple months now. Originally, they put a few on the line when the R160s were undergoing an SMS, and now the R143s on the (J) have become semi-permanent but not official, similar to the R160s on the (R).

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Just rode a R62A (6) with broken A/Cs in an ENTIRE five car set. Lexington has some of the hottest stations in the system and it is beyond clear that the 62As cannot handle it. The MTA needs to get these things in the shop asap

I had to get back out of the train to stay cool last week.