SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Yes the work program is effective November 6th.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Thanks for the clarification on the (M) train. Running light makes more sense.

As for the link, when I'm near my computer, I'll post the link.

Your welcome and thanks.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on FB linked to the B division work program effective in November. Its some pretty interesting stuff...

Things of note:

(Q) trains are showing 96 Street as the Manhattan destination

(N) trains currently operating to 57 Street are shown as continuing to 96 Street (with one or two trips operating 96th to Whitehall if I'm reading this thing correctly)

Some (M) trains in the morning start from 179 Street

(W) train trips between Ditmars and Whitehall are shown under the (N) section

(R) trains are shown operating between Whitehall and 95 Street late nights, taking approximately 31 minutes in either direction with a 15 to 18 minute lay over at Whitehall

I could also use some help deciphering parts of it. It is hard to distinguish the first Ws that run from 86th Street as opposed to N trains. Thanks again!

Question, why do the Second Av (Q) programs announce themselves as via Second Avenue Line? Why dosent it just say, "This is a 96th St-2nd Avenue bound (Q) local train."

They're like that because they were recorded way back in 2006. They'll probably be changed to something much shorter in an upcoming software update. 

I could also use some help deciphering parts of it. It is hard to distinguish the first Ws that run from 86th Street as opposed to N trains. Thanks again!

It's almost like this document wasn't for the average layman...

Question, why do the Second Av (Q) programs announce themselves as via Second Avenue Line? Why dosent it just say, "This is a 96th St-2nd Avenue bound (Q) local train."

Speaking of the devil, does the signs for the (Q) still say "EAST SIDE-96 ST"?

I would look for runs that start at 86 Street, turn at Ditmars and then are shown ending at Whitehall.

They aren't going to give an entirely new designation for a couple of short-turns and put-ins. If they were to do so, they'd have to give separate designations for the (2) and (5) runs to Utica Av and New Lots Av, which have a lot more runs that deviate from the mapped route.

Arguably, there should be a different designation for different paths regardless of frequency. A long time annoyance is the (A) having 3 branches. Those should be separated into the (K), (A), and <A> with the same combined frequency as the current (A). The (5) anywhere else should be <5> to indicate that is is somehow deviant. And since the (N) from 96 Street to Whitehall Street will be more like a (Q) subset (being local below Canal Street and short-turning), it should be a <Q> rather than an (N). If the MTA were so keen on reducing confusion, it should do a thorough job at it. (F) trains that do not run the full route (especially those to Kings Highway) toe the line; I’m willing to tolerate it since it is entirely a subset of the regular (F), but <F> should be a better designation. The diamond designations require finer resolution to make clear, and should be most useful when these cars come into service.

201 (N) weekday looks freakin' sweet for a T/O! You pick up a train on the middle track somewhere in Astoria, have lunch when you get to Stillwell, discharge at 96th/2nd Avenue, then deadhead to City Hall for the layup. Only 1 R/T with passengers, who can complain about that?

239 (N) is the Brooklyn equivalent. Get your train at CIY, start service at 86th, lunch at Ditmars, then discharge at 86th! Then you do some yard stuff for three hours and you're done.

Also, I don't see any (W) trains starting/ending in BKLYN, they all seem to start service at Canal-Tunnel in the AM, and go to City Hall lower level at night.

Edited by paulrivera

Question, why does SF Loop have two third rails on each side of track 1 in the station while City Hall only has one?

I did not know this. I guess because it is essentially impossible to operate trains in the opposite direction at City Hall as then trains would be going the wrong way on the downtown tracks, and in order to reach the right track, the northbound local track trains would have to cross both express tracks. However, at South Ferry, there is a crossover, which easily allows trains to get back to the right track.

So by reading this, some rush hour (Q) trains will still go to Astoria?

No. If you read the document you would see that all (Q)s run from 96th to Stillwell.

No. The (W) is likely making a comeback. Second Avenue will probably need all of the service it can get.

The (W) is coming back, but these runs are mentioned as (N) runs in the document. Internally, (W) trains are just (N) trains that run local and short-turn at Whitehall. The first and last trains of the day run via the Sea Beach Line are the same as regular (N)s except they run local.

Bowling_Green-South_Ferry.png

Also, I don't see any (W) trains starting/ending in BKLYN, they all seem to start service at Canal-Tunnel in the AM, and go to City Hall lower level at night.

I think that they are listed as N trains.

28991345082_6d8157638a_b.jpgScreen Shot 2016-08-19 at 7.36.06 PM by spicker613, on Flickr]

Since (W) trains are listed as N trains, the crews that start out as (W)s at 86th might switch to become an (N) crew at Ditmars.

28475217004_66605721de_b.jpgScreen Shot 2016-08-19 at 7.39.35 PM by spicker613, on Flickr

Edited by Union Tpke

Today was the first time in a while that I rode an R62A with a properly functioning A/C...

These past two days, I've been fortunate to ride on R62As with pleasant A/Cs on both the (1) & (6). When those A/Cs work properly on the R62As, its a delightful feel... I'll tell ya'll lol.

Oh yes. I believe that was the same week of my conversation about the radios at West 4th Street with an employee.

The setup, if I remember: (D) trains were operating in two sections -

- between Norwood - 205th Street & Herald Square

- between Pacific Street & Stilwell Avenue.

(N) trains weren't running in the 59th Street corridor and the IRT Midtown Shuttle ran overnight. .

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Quite verbose of you. [emoji57]

Its happening again. I had no idea it was this weekend. Jinx knock on wood.

I was on a (6) the other day whose A/C was busted. That car was literally hotter than the station itself. This reminds me of the A/C problems the R32 have.

Them, too? The one I was on at Kingston-Throop was like heaven to me, throw me in a fridge and bury the key.

I'm a creature of the cold and the R32s are my favorite when it comes to big chill and best, specifically because the vents are behind your shins...

Arguably, there should be a different designation for different paths regardless of frequency. A long time annoyance is the (A) having 3 branches. Those should be separated into the (K), (A), and <A> with the same combined frequency as the current (A). The (5) anywhere else should be <5> to indicate that is is somehow deviant. And since the (N) from 96 Street to Whitehall Street will be more like a (Q) subset (being local below Canal Street and short-turning), it should be a <Q> rather than an (N). If the MTA were so keen on reducing confusion, it should do a thorough job at it. (F) trains that do not run the full route (especially those to Kings Highway) toe the line; I’m willing to tolerate it since it is entirely a subset of the regular (F), but <F> should be a better designation. The diamond designations require finer resolution to make clear, and should be most useful when these cars come into service.

The only line I can see getting a re-designation is the Lefferts Blvd (A) to something else since the Lefferts Blvd/Far Rockaway branches operate at all times except late nights. I arbitrarily chose that branch because it allows the flagship (A) to continue running at all times to Far Rockaway. Your other suggestions will not make understanding the routes and services any easier, but rather make things more confusing because there would now be several new designations for what amounts to about five runs for each short-turn or put-in, (F) to Kings Highway notwithstanding.

And another thing, the current definition of the diamond services is that they're express variants of concurrently operating local services. When they used to mean "rush hour variants of normal service" prior to 2005, it became confusing to riders because that definition became muddled when there were oddball diamond services that operated outside of rush hours, like the <6>, <7> and <Q>.  Switching the definition back to mean rush hour variants will not change anything, especially when applied to your suggestions along with the existing services.

And before anyone asks, no these rush hour offshoots cannot or should not be given different letters/numbers to distinguish them. At a certain point, trying to give each branch or offshoot its own identity makes the whole thing incomprehensible. It also becomes a matter of having to put all of that information on a map or a service information sign and how the average rider absorbs all of it.

Today was the first time in a while that I rode an R62A with a properly functioning A/C...

Lucky you. My experience with the 62As is either getting a train that has a completely busted A/C or one that's barely working while leaking all over the floor.

These past two days, I've been fortunate to ride on R62As with pleasant A/Cs on both the (1) & (6). When those A/Cs work properly on the R62As, its a delightful feel... I'll tell ya'll lol.

Again, lucky you.

Do you guys remember the GO last year where the (4) was completely suspended and the (5) took over?

Yeah. I remember that. The only way that'll happen again is if there's significant work on Jerome Ave.

Looking at the pictures from the first night of London's night tube, I think Sadiq Khan, the London mayor, is secretly a railfanner. He looks giddy in the pictures inside a Victoria line train's cab, particularly the photo op behind the controls.

Back in 2001 after 9/11, when the  (1)  (2) ran local all throughout 7 Av into Brooklyn, was time schedule slow for both of these routes? I'm quite sure that a line that has at least 70 stops and runs local might require lots of rolling stock. How did the  (2) deal all those stops? Did the  (5) have to give up some of their cars for the  (2)? I know that most of redbirds (R26, R27, R28) were reefed by Aug 2001 and R142 were still in delivery. Did the  (2)  ever use R62's during this time? I know that the  (1)  had to steal  (3) R62's to make the long extension into New Lots. Did the  (3) lack service when it ran as an express to 14 St?