SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm at the Oculus (and mall) right now. There are future entrances to (1) and (R) that will lead directly into the second level (when complete). I'll post pics when I get home.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

There is also one at Vesey Street for the (E) and an additional one for the (1) train on the second level near 4 World Trade.

Dam that's a whole 5 car set...

We only lost a total of 10 R62s. The 5 from the above accident, and the 5 involved in the Union Sq wreck.

So I'm at the Oculus (and mall) right now. There are future entrances to (1) and (R) that will lead directly into the second level (when complete). I'll post pics when I get home.

I was there last night. I really love how everything is starting to take shape now.

We only lost a total of 10 R62s. The 5 from the above accident, and the 5 involved in the Union Sq wreck.

I was there last night. I really love how everything is starting to take shape now.

Yeah. It's really coming together and looks gorgeous!

Alright folks, here are those photos I was talking about!

The (1) train entrance door was open (I didn't get photos cause two National Guard people, in full fatigues, were walking nearby) and I saw that the "space" (I assume) for turnstiles, MVMs and the booth, was already roughed out in concrete. Its roughly the same spot as the PATH faregates but one floor up and not as wide.

28787813330_294120781e_b.jpg

28453310904_815dcebdde_b.jpg

29074161945_5e33f14d9a_b.jpg

Grand Street too. 36 Street in Brooklyn also has the "three pronged box" installed but no service yet...

Add all the (R) local stops north of 36 Street to the list. They all have the boxes but no service yet (so does 45 Street- which also has black brackets in spots, I assume for eventual countdown clocks)

No... The B39 runs from Delancey Street - Essex Street to Marcy Avenue in Brooklyn.

The Grand Avenue Shuttle only exists nowadays when the (D) is suspended from 34th Street to Atlantic Avenue. It runs as a shuttle bus or as a shuttle train, depending on where work is being done on the line.

Oh yes. I believe that was the same week of my conversation about the radios at West 4th Street with an employee.

The setup, if I remember: (D) trains were operating in two sections -

- between Norwood - 205th Street & Herald Square

- between Pacific Street & Stilwell Avenue.

(N) trains weren't running in the 59th Street corridor and the IRT Midtown Shuttle ran overnight. .

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

1366 is on Randall's Island

1367 was reefed

1368 was reefed

1369 was scrapped

1370 (half the car) is on Randall's Island

Quite verbose of you. [emoji57]

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't it available at nycsubway.org?

Pretty sure it is.

I was at the Oculus earlier today and agree that it's quite nice (well, except for the damn tourists standing in the middle of the stairs/walkways to take pictures). Certainly will be nice when Cortlandt (1) is back open.

Someone on FB linked to the B division work program effective in November. Its some pretty interesting stuff...

Things of note:

(Q) trains are showing 96 Street as the Manhattan destination

(N) trains currently operating to 57 Street are shown as continuing to 96 Street (with one or two trips operating 96th to Whitehall if I'm reading this thing correctly)

Some (M) trains in the morning start from 179 Street

(W) train trips between Ditmars and Whitehall are shown under the (N) section

(R) trains are shown operating between Whitehall and 95 Street late nights, taking approximately 31 minutes in either direction with a 15 to 18 minute lay over at Whitehall

Grand Street too. 36 Street in Brooklyn also has the "three pronged box" installed but no service yet...

I wonder if West 4th has service. That's one station that would be useful to see service advisories, and to see if the M5 is coming , just in case the 6th Ave line is screwed.

(N) trains currently operating to 57 Street are shown as continuing to 96 Street (with one or two trips operating 96th to Whitehall if I'm reading this thing correctly)

(N) is already taken; that obviously different route should be a yellow (T) because it has nothing in common with the (N) except Broadway from 57 Street–7 Avenue to Canal Street.

Someone on FB linked to the B division work program effective in November. Its some pretty interesting stuff...

Things of note:

(R) trains are shown operating between Whitehall and 95 Street late nights, taking approximately 31 minutes in either direction with a 15 to 18 minute lay over at Whitehall

As Snowblock has said in the past some (M)s come from 179th Street NOT stopping and then come in service at Forest Hills. I see one of these trains on the local track between 75th Avenue and where the yard lead merges into it.

DJ Hammers has told me that the (N)s to 57th are going to 96th, and he said that (N) and (W) are internally one route. Remember than in the 1980s <N> service covered the exact route as the (W). Time to check your older maps. He has done work on this. I know it.

Can I see the link by any chance? Thank you.

Edited by Union Tpke

Things of note:

Interesting to know, especially since we are gonna enter September in 2 weeks. 

BTW, what happened to the "What If" thread? 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

Hold up, I thought the original plan was to have weekend (M) service terminate at 96th St during the Carnarsie Shutdown.

It is Canarsie, and there are two options: Queens Plaza or 96th Street. There is not a set plan. This is what Operations Planning is going to be deciding.

(N) is already taken; that obviously different route should be a yellow (T) because it has nothing in common with the (N) except Broadway from 57 Street–7 Avenue to Canal Street.

They aren't going to give an entirely new designation for a couple of short-turns and put-ins. If they were to do so, they'd have to give separate designations for the (2) and (5) runs to Utica Av and New Lots Av, which have a lot more runs that deviate from the mapped route.

Hold up, I thought the original plan was to have weekend (M) service terminate at 96th St during the Carnarsie Shutdown.

The Canarsie tunnel closure won't happen for another 2-3 years or so. What ATH posted will take effect sometime this fall.

Interesting to know, especially since we are gonna enter September in 2 weeks. 

It's not going to happen in September. I think it's timed for the next job pick this fall, November if I'm not mistaken. Besides, the MTA will have to make an announcement via the office of Governor Cuomo for the start date of the (N) - Broadway Express and restoration of (W) service.

It's not going to happen in September. I think it's timed for the next job pick this fall, November if I'm not mistaken. Besides, the MTA will have to make an announcement via the office of Governor Cuomo for the start date of the (N) - Broadway Express and restoration of (W) service.

Yes the work program is effective November 6th.

As Snowblock has said in the past some (M)s come from 179th Street NOT stopping and then come in service at Forest Hills. I see one of these trains on the local track between 75th Avenue and where the yard lead merges into it.

DJ Hammers has told me that the (N)s to 57th are going to 96th, and he said that (N) and (W) are internally one route. Remember than in the 1980s <N> service covered the exact route as the (W). Time to check your older maps. He has done work on this. I know it.

Can I see the link by any chance? Thank you.

Thanks for the clarification on the (M) train. Running light makes more sense.

As for the link, when I'm near my computer, I'll post the link.

Queens Blvd line is shut down just because of a injured passenger on Elmhurst Ave. As a result the power needed to be shut off and no (E)(F)(M) and (R) trains are running right now.

So apparently this passenger died and it was said that the lady jumped in front of the train but service has resumed.

Edited by NewFlyer 230