SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They havent been on the (G) since 2010.

I have no idea what you mean by '' talking tens"

As a daily rider of the (R), I get alot of R46s (grrr :angry: ). The wobbling depends on the car.

The last time the  (G) ran R46s was during the derailment in 2015. 

They don't? Then what are those cars used by the (G)? They seem more spatial than the R68A, but what are they?

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

The (G) uses R68s and R68As.

They havent been on the (G) since 2010.

I have no idea what you mean by '' talking tens"

He meant the proposal of making the (G) a full length train.

The R46. Used by the (A), some peak (F) to Kings Hwy or 2 Av - Houston, and the (R)?

Alright. I know the difference now.

No (F)s terminate at Second Avenue, and RANDOM (F)s are R46s. They aren't for specific trips. They also operate on the Rockaway Park Shuttle.

The R46. Used by the (A), some peak (F) to Kings Hwy or 2 Av - Houston, and the (R)?

Alright. I know the difference now.

Close but no cigar. Yes the (A) and (R) use them. The (F) is assigned four trains in addition to the R160s on the line. However, the Kings Highway (F) trains during the rush can be both R160s and R46s.

I did notice a few years ago when I used the (F) more regularly that you were more likely to see the R46s on the Coney Island trains, I assume because they prefer the trains with clear automated announcements on the short turns.

As mentioned by Union, there are no scheduled trains to 2 Avenue. That is purely an emergency terminal nowadays. If you saw a 2 Avenue bound (F) at some point, there must have been some sort of disruption.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

As mentioned by Union, there are no scheduled trains to 2 Avenue. That is purely an emergency terminal nowadays. If you saw a 2 Avenue bound (F) at some point, there must have been some sort of disruption.

They leave 2 Avenue open for the (B) or (D) as well when the bridge suddenly goes out of service.

No (F)s terminate at Second Avenue, and RANDOM (F)s are R46s. They aren't for specific trips. They also operate on the Rockaway Park Shuttle.

Thanks. You confirmed my suspicions. I figured those PT (F) trains were R46 cars after all.

For such old cars, why do thy have displays but the R68A's don't?

Close but no cigar. Yes the (A) and (R) use them. The (F) is assigned four trains in addition to the R160s on the line. However, the Kings Highway (F) trains during the rush can be both R160s and R46s.

I did notice a few years ago when I used the (F) more regularly that you were more likely to see the R46s on the Coney Island trains, I assume because they prefer the trains with clear automated announcements on the short turns.

I took a picture of one at Bay Pkwy earlier this year. It was one of my Google+ cover photos.

Thanks. You confirmed my suspicions. I figured those PT (F) trains were R46 cars after all.

For such old cars, why do thy have displays but the R68A's don't?

I took a picture of one at Bay Pkwy earlier this year. It was one of my Google+ cover photos.

Prior to the 1990s, cars did not go through regular maintenance cycles and as a result cars got into really bad shape. The R46s as well. As the MTA was trying to recover from its low in the 1970s and early 1980s, it focused on its subway equipment. It instituted GOH, General Overhauls for older subway cars. The cars were essentially rebuilt from top to bottom. As part of the R46s GOH, it got LCD displays. The R68s came into service in the mid to late 1980s and since they were given regular maintenance they did not get overhauled. They get SMSed.

img_115873.jpg

img_115874.jpg

img_115875.jpg

I can see that you have a lot to learn about the history of the transit system.

Edited by Union Tpke

Prior to the 1990s, cars did not go through regular maintenance cycles and as a result cars got into really bad shape. The R46s as well. As the MTA was trying to recover from its low in the 1970s and early 1980s, it focused on its subway equipment. It instituted GOH, General Overhauls for older subway cars. The cars were essentially rebuilt from top to bottom. As part of the R46s GOH, it got LCD displays. The R68s came into service in the mid to late 1980s and since they were given regular maintenance they did not get overhauled. They get SMSed.

img_115873.jpg

img_115874.jpg

img_115875.jpg

I can see that you have a lot to learn about the history of the transit system.

It's why I'm here[emoji4]

That's actually not the reason why R46s have digital displays. The R32s, 38s, 40s, etc. all went through a GOH at the same time and none of them have displays.

It's because the rollsigns on the R46s were motorized; the driver could change them from the cab. When they went through the GOH, the existing wiring was hooked up to the LCD screens.

That's actually not the reason why R46s have digital displays. The R32s, 38s, 40s, etc. all went through a GOH at the same time and none of them have displays.

It's because the rollsigns on the R46s were motorized; the driver could change them from the cab. When they went through the GOH, the existing wiring was hooked up to the LCD screens.

Interesting. It does explain why the R46s had an upgrade and on the R68s. Thanks for the information.

So why didn't the R68's have this feature if the R46's did? It would've been much much easier today on all the remaining SMEE's, excluding the R32's and R42's.

To change the rollsigns.

I guess those were happier days when the budget wasn't full of hot air...

They simply don't have the innovative backbone they once had...

If any of you clean up at 3 AM at Herald Square, 145 St - St Nick, and Woodside-61, does it seem to worsen after each clean?

I dunno, but as a custodian who's handled my fair share of muck, that is MENTAL ABUSE.

So why didn't the R68's have this feature if the R46's did? It would've been much much easier today on all the remaining SMEE's, excluding the R32's and R42's.

To change the rollsigns.

The big rolls of the R40s-R46s, all electronically controlled, were great for cars that kept to largely the same lines under the same service patterns, but they were disastrous when anything changed. You had to print new signs, new stickers, find rolls from different divisions, swap rolls out, etc. The R62s and up took the design of the R46 rolls (bullet to side with destinations on top of each other) and divided it into pieces. Instead of four foot wide rollsigns, the biggest pieces were the north-south rolls, and nothing was ever missing from the signs available when a C/R selected a route. My guess is that wiring all the different rolls to the cabs just meant more to go wrong and unnecessary complexity. They went back to the tried and true format, just using the newer design. When the R40s and R42s were overhauled, they got rid of the original one-piece boxes and put in a similar three-piece setup. For the R44s and R46s, rollsigns were entirely removed.

The R44s had motorized sign curtains as well, including the Staten Island fleet. Signs on the latter cars were removed after the overhauls since they were largely redundant.

The R68 were sort of a back to the future type of car where they went back to the SMEE design. This was also before the GOH so they spec'd manual rollsigns

The 62s and 68s returned to a much simpler design after the disastrous mess that was the rollout of the 44s and 46s. Had those problems not existed, the 62s would've likely expanded on the design specs of the 46s.

The big rolls of the R40s-R46s, all electronically controlled, were great for cars that kept to largely the same lines under the same service patterns, but they were disastrous when anything changed. You had to print new signs, new stickers, find rolls from different divisions, swap rolls out, etc. The R62s and up took the design of the R46 rolls (bullet to side with destinations on top of each other) and divided it into pieces. Instead of four foot wide rollsigns, the biggest pieces were the north-south rolls, and nothing was ever missing from the signs available when a C/R selected a route. My guess is that wiring all the different rolls to the cabs just meant more to go wrong and unnecessary complexity. They went back to the tried and true format, just using the newer design. When the R40s and R42s were overhauled, they got rid of the original one-piece boxes and put in a similar three-piece setup. For the R44s and R46s, rollsigns were entirely removed.

Just a slight correction, the 40s and 42s never had motorized rollsigns. That's why you'll never see any of those Identra codes on those signs when they pop up on eBay. But you are right about the cumbersome nature of those rolls. Even when service was routed somewhere besides the few destinations included on those signs, they were pretty much useless. Never mind when the newer cars filled in for a line not in its home yard, as was very likely in the '70s. That's why there are so many pictures of 40s-46s signed as specials.

The (C) to Lefferts and (A) to Rockaway is pretty solid imo, would reduce customer confusion with the (A) having three terminals.

The (A) having 3 terminals has been like this for past 24 years. I don't think it's confusing. If a (A) is riding to Lefferts but mistakenly catches the Rockaway Park or Far Rockaway (A) they can get off at Rockaway Blvd. Same goes for the Far Rockaway rider on the Lefferts. If the (C) run to Lefferts it will require more train sets and crews to maintain service for both lines. And if the (C) is going towards Manhattan from Lefferts after Rockaway Blvd it will run empty because riders like the express service. 

I guess the MTA and their contractors learned from the mistakes at Rockaway/Van siclen because they're making some stellar progress on the station rehabs on the 3. The Manhattan bound platform at Saratoga avenue looks like it's almost done. The actual platform has the concrete and ADA strips in place, the steel beams need to be painted and windscreens have to be added though. So far so good

I guess the F and N station rehabs may be done on time too, now just wait and see if the SAS will be done on time. (which I doubt lol)

I'm anxious to see how their new station design that the governor revealed will look too and the stations that are planned.

Stupid question. How do you guys catch all these museum moves and strange occurances, how do you find out bout them in advance?

By being observant.

Delays within the city line are better avoided if commuters just listened & looked. Canal St was a nightmare this weekend...

And some of the users on this forum are either tenured MTA employees or junkies with good leads. I myself can't always preempt things but then again my travel scope is far larger.

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow