SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if mentioned but 1904 (just 1904) is at 239 St yard.

Oh and I just could 1903 as well. Could these two be garbage trains? They are connected to the R127 and the other cars that are used for garbage pick up.

1907 is also being used for garbage duty. Saw it last night on the middle track at 207th st on the (1).

Not sure if mentioned but 1904 (just 1904) is at 239 St yard.

Oh and I just could 1903 as well. Could these two be garbage trains? They are connected to the R127 and the other cars that are used for garbage pick up.

The Garbage trains use 62A's during the summer because the R127's don't have A/C.

The only line I can see getting a re-designation is the Lefferts Blvd (A) to something else since the Lefferts Blvd/Far Rockaway branches operate at all times except late nights. I arbitrarily chose that branch because it allows the flagship (A) to continue running at all times to Far Rockaway. Your other suggestions will not make understanding the routes and services any easier, but rather make things more confusing because there would now be several new designations for what amounts to about five runs for each short-turn or put-in, (F) to Kings Highway notwithstanding.

And another thing, the current definition of the diamond services is that they're express variants of concurrently operating local services. When they used to mean "rush hour variants of normal service" prior to 2005, it became confusing to riders because that definition became muddled when there were oddball diamond services that operated outside of rush hours, like the <6>, <7> and <Q>.  Switching the definition back to mean rush hour variants will not change anything, especially when applied to your suggestions along with the existing services.

And before anyone asks, no these rush hour offshoots cannot or should not be given different letters/numbers to distinguish them. At a certain point, trying to give each branch or offshoot its own identity makes the whole thing incomprehensible. It also becomes a matter of having to put all of that information on a map or a service information sign and how the average rider absorbs all of it.

In any case, the “(N)” origination from 96 Street ending at Whitehall Street is more like a short-turn (Q) than an (N). (Q) or <Q>, it should not be an (N).

I saw to many R42's today on the (2) signed up with the weirdest destinations lmaoooo.

One was signed up as a 2 to Chambers, the other was signed up as a 2 to Rector, the other was signed up as a 2 to Bowling Green, the other was signed up as a 2 to South Ferry, the other was signed up as a 2 to 14th.

SO MANY 2'S LOL.

By the way, how come the NTT'S announcments glitch when the (2) program to Rector St goes on?

I saw to many R42's today on the (2) signed up with the weirdest destinations lmaoooo.

One was signed up as a 2 to Chambers, the other was signed up as a 2 to Rector, the other was signed up as a 2 to Bowling Green, the other was signed up as a 2 to South Ferry, the other was signed up as a 2 to 14th.

SO MANY 2'S LOL.

By the way, how come the NTT'S announcments glitch when the (2) program to Rector St goes on?

Ooooh! I need to check this out tomorrow!

When I rode the (2) to Rector earlier, the "Rector Street bound (2)" announcement glitched and the train played the "ding-ding-dong" glitch. I'm guessing some trains still have programs that are a bit faulty. It could be that I was at Chambers, just one stop before Rector however and since the program isn't meant to play the announcement before the last stop.

That's because it thinks Cortlandt is the next stop after Chambers, so when you skip it, it's still going to think you still want to stop at Cortlandt which is why that bug occurs.

Same thing with the (2) to South Ferry, it's still programmed to have the coordinates for new South Ferry. So basically it's going to bug out and announce its self as a Wakefield bound (2) train at Rector, then bug out and say THE NEXT AND LAST STOP IS SOUTH FERRY. The this is announcements play correctly at South Ferry, and that surprises me.

But here's the thing, no one seems to know how to program their 2 train after they leave South Ferry. They sign it up correctly as a 2 to East 180th, but they seem to forget that they're setting it coming from FLATBUSH. So basically you got 6 (2) trains at 14th St thinking the next stop is President St.

Today was the first time in a while that I rode an R62A with a properly functioning A/C...

I've been lucky enough to get ice boxes when riding the (1) a lot.

Then again, hot R62A's are common as both the (1) and now the (6) train units are for the most part underground in very hot tunnels, rendering many a/c units useless compared to the (7) when the line itself is almost always outside.

When I rode the (2) to Rector earlier, the "Rector Street bound (2)" announcement glitched and the train played the "ding-ding-dong" glitch. I'm guessing some trains still have programs that are a bit faulty. It could be that I was at Chambers, just one stop before Rector however and since the program isn't meant to play the announcement before the last stop.

I was on it today too. Rode it from 42 St all the way down to Rector...total PITA for me to travel today since there was no (3) trains to my area and I needed to go along the (3), but I digress lol...

Long story short, the glitch announcement played, followed by the next stop announcement the entire way down. Once we got to Chambers, the glitch announcement played, followed by the the train. Saying the next and last stop was Rector St.

Why the heck does SubwayTime show the (2) and the (5) trains in reverse ( (2) 241-Flatbush via Lex and (5) E180-Rector via 7th) when the clocks in the stations show the (5) on the East Side and the (2) on the West Side?

Don't tell me it's because of the work program because I know the (2) crews are working the (5) this weekend and vice versa; I'm talking from a purely data and technological point of view.

Back in 2001 after 9/11, when the  1  2 ran local all throughout 7 Av into Brooklyn, was time schedule slow for both of these routes? I'm quite sure that a line that has at least 70 stops and runs local might require lots of rolling stock. How did the  2 deal all those stops? Did the  5 have to give up some of their cars for the  2? I know that most of redbirds (R26, R27, R28) were reefed by Aug 2001 and R142 were still in delivery. Did the  2  ever use R62's during this time? I know that the  1  had to steal  3 R62's to make the long extension into New Lots. Did the  3 lack service when it ran as an express to 14 St?

The (1) used about half of the (3) line's fleet since the (3) was cut back to 14 Street for the duration of the cleanup at the World Trade Center. For a better idea of what cars ran on which line at the time, check out this car assignments list I've compiled, specifically the entries for July 2001 - Sept. 2002.

That's because it thinks Cortlandt is the next stop after Chambers, so when you skip it, it's still going to think you still want to stop at Cortlandt which is why that bug occurs.

Same thing with the 2 to South Ferry, it's still programmed to have the coordinates for new South Ferry. So basically it's going to bug out and announce its self as a Wakefield bound 2 train at Rector, then bug out and say THE NEXT AND LAST STOP IS SOUTH FERRY. The this is announcements play correctly at South Ferry, and that surprises me.

But here's the thing, no one seems to know how to program their 2 train after they leave South Ferry. They sign it up correctly as a 2 to East 180th, but they seem to forget that they're setting it coming from FLATBUSH. So basically you got 6 2 trains at 14th St thinking the next stop is President St.

That's because there is no option for the (2) South Ferry > E 180 Street. For a while, there wasn't one for (2) South Ferry > [anything], which is why most conductors would leave the trains unsigned until Chambers St.

Why the heck does SubwayTime show the 2 and the 5 trains in reverse ( 2 241-Flatbush via Lex and 5 E180-Rector via 7th) when the clocks in the stations show the 5 on the East Side and the 2 on the West Side?

Don't tell me it's because of the work program because I know the 2 crews are working the 5 this weekend and vice versa; I'm talking from a purely data and technological point of view.

That probably has something to do with it though. Internally, the trains are designated as (2) trains from Wakefield to Flatbush Av via Lexington Ave and (5) trains from E 180 Street to Rector St by the ATS system. For some reason, that's the data that feeds to SubwayTime and the other third-party apps instead of the more useful (and correct) information that goes to the in-station countdown clocks. It's really amateurish if you ask me.

Edited by Lance

The (1) used about half of the (3) line's fleet since the (3) was cut back to 14 Street for the duration of the cleanup at the World Trade Center. For a better idea of what cars ran on which line at the time, check out this car assignments list I've compiled, specifically the entries for July 2001 - Sept. 2002.

What about the  (2)? Most of it's redbird were reefed and some R142 were in service while most were in delivery still. Im asking did the  (2) have any time waiting issues after 9/11? You answered first half of my question. The link you sent me requires me to log in and download the PDF :angry: . So can you try to summarize under your best ability please? :)

There IS one for the (2) from Rector St to Wakefield as I saw one of my conductors play with the program. He knocked off the stops after East 180th, which fixed the program in Manahattan, but for some reason lit up the (5) stops to Pelham Pkwy on the strip maps.

And I've seen at least 4 conductors who completely forgot or were oblivious to their train along the entire 7th Avenue corridor that the trains were still signed up coming from Flatbush. It confused the hell out of everyone.

When the  (Q) replaced   (R)  in Queens Blvd after 9/11 until Oct 28, 2001 how long did the  (Q) use R46? And if you rode the R46 on  (Q) along Brighton can you describe the experience? How many R46 sets were in service for the  (Q) at that time? Is there any more photos of R46 on  (Q) besides this one? 

img_5727.jpg

I sure had fun railfanning today!

I took the (5) to East 180th and I took pictures there. I then took pictures of the old NYW&B stub that ends at Lebanon Avenue. I also took pictures of the building now blocking the ROW. I also took pictures of Unionport Yard and 239th Street Yards. It sure was fun!

actually, that glitch is caused by the memory unit in the AAS subsystem running out of memory. This is currently being fixed

Speaking of odd announcements with this G.O., I caught a Wakefield (5) at the Barclays, and 5% of the announcements, including the "The Next Stop" and "This is" announcements, replaced Jessica E.G. with Diane Thompson. I heard her voice only announce the Bowling Green and Nevins St stations, but I heard a new voice for 138th Street (got off at 125th and didn't clearly hear the announcement too well). I can't tell if this announcement from 138th St was from the very first (5) program on R142s or if it was taken from the experiment units and just happened to be sliced into the "new" Wakefield (5) announcements.

Edited by ShadeJay

Speaking of odd announcements with this G.O., I caught a Wakefield (5) at the Barclays, and 5% of the announcements, including the "The Next Stop" and "This is" announcements, replaced Jessica E.G. with Diane Thompson. I heard her voice only announce the Bowling Green and Nevins St stations, but I heard a new voice for 138th Street (got off at 125th and didn't clearly hear the announcement too well). I can't tell if this announcement from 138th St was from the very first (5) program on R142s or if it was taken from the experiment units and just happened to be sliced into the "new" Wakefield (5) announcements.

Even though my (5) was in the Bronx, as part of these announcements, instead of saying "this is a Wakefield-bound (5)" it said "this is a Bronx-bound (5),"

Not only that, a lot of R142's on the (4) announce them selves as a "Manhattan Bound (4) train" when they're already IN Manhattan. This bug only happens to be fixed after you leave Brooklyn Bridge, when it then corrects itself to a "Brooklyn bound (4) train".

Same thing at 125th St, some (4)'s don't announce any transfers at 125th St what so ever.