SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the shuttle has borrowed a few "watch the gap" stickers from Metro North.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Until the Times Square rehabilitation (and platform extension) is completed you'll see the R62As ply the line. Afterwards I wouldn't be surprised if the single units get permanently linked into five car sets and get sent to the (6) in exchange for one or two R142As which can just run as five car sets.

Not that this is an issue at this time, but do the R142/As even have a program for the shuttle?

What will be the service changes if the North Side or South Side of the Manhattan Bridge closes again? 

Don't mention the war. I hope it doesn't happen for a VERY long time, but probably similar to what we have seen in the past. The (Q) would likely run via 6th Avenue between DeKalb and Lex/63rd if the south side was closed, for example. Based on track layouts, a north side closure would be more disruptive, as every South Brooklyn service other than the (F) would have to run via Broadway or Nassau Street.

Not that this is an issue at this time, but do the R142/As even have a program for the shuttle?

Don't mention the war. I hope it doesn't happen for a VERY long time, but probably similar to what we have seen in the past. The (Q) would likely run via 6th Avenue between DeKalb and Lex/63rd if the south side was closed, for example. Based on track layouts, a north side closure would be more disruptive, as every South Brooklyn service other than the (F) would have to run via Broadway or Nassau Street.

Yes they do. All the 142A's have programs for the 42nd St (S) ONLY. All the other shuttles are included in the R143's and R160's.

Those shuttle trains are so annoying and old. Would be great if they got new trains for it.  Also hate all of those damn ads everywhere.  

*ALL* The R62A's are annoying and old. This summer has been horrendous if you're looking for AC on the (1) and (6). The shuttle sets have pretty crappy AC too.

It's been making the rounds in the press (NY1 and Gothamist) so with enough pressure hopefully they'll start doing a summer swap next year.

Have the (3) line's R62s been having the same problem as well?

*ALL* The R62A's are annoying and old. This summer has been horrendous if you're looking for AC on the (1) and (6). The shuttle sets have pretty crappy AC too.

It's been making the rounds in the press (NY1 and Gothamist) so with enough pressure hopefully they'll start doing a summer swap next year.

I don't see what a summer swap would do. In the end, you're just giving the crappy A/C cars to a different set of riders.

No, at least not on the ones I rode today.

And IMO a summer swap with the R62As and other cars would be moot since those non-working A/Cs will just be moving to another line. They should consider fixing them first before a summer swap even occurs, since that won't help anyone in the long run...

Those shuttle trains are so annoying and old. Would be great if they got new trains for it. Also hate all of those damn ads everywhere.

What shuttle train are we even talking about?

Wait. Never mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tonyboy515

As stated by Javier, The R142/As and R188s have the announcements for the 42nd Street (S). I believe Mr Railfan has recorded them before.

Due to an AAS update, only SOME of the original R142A converts still have that program since they added a new (7) to Woodside program. (as stated by my source in MTA).

And I'm talkING about ALL THE shuttles except for the Rockaways. The R68A AC on the Franklin shuttle are starting to fail.

The only shuttle right now that isn't stankin hot is the Grand St shuttle.

Due to an AAS update, only SOME of the original R142A converts still have that program since they added a new (7) to Woodside program. (as stated by my source in MTA).

Hmmm. So Would I be correct in assuming that the sign says "61 ST-WOODSIDE" or has the MTA come up with yet another ridiculous abbreviation? Edited by Around the Horn

^You have the (7) for that reason...

Or the M42.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

And they're hot (not in a good way)...

Good thing it runs as a bus now [emoji38]

The B39 right?

The B39 right?

No... The B39 runs from Delancey Street - Essex Street to Marcy Avenue in Brooklyn.

The Grand Avenue Shuttle only exists nowadays when the (D) is suspended from 34th Street to Atlantic Avenue. It runs as a shuttle bus or as a shuttle train, depending on where work is being done on the line.

Edited by r142a 7795

Not sure, but when I stay in Manhattan sometimes I grab the (6) train here and there for short trips.  The other morning I see a train coming and look in the car and I'm like oh I'll get in this car since it's less crowded than the others.... When I stepped on I realized why.... Hot as a sauna.  I got into another car for the next few stops, but I honestly try avoiding the Lex line altogether... If I'm traveling with someone who prefers taxis I'll just ride with them... The crowding at all hours is bad enough and then with no AC... Forget it... 

[quote name="r142a 7795" post="891146" timestamp="1471526993"

The Grand Avenue Shuttle only exists nowadays when the (D) is suspended from 34th Street to Atlantic Avenue. It runs as a shuttle bus or as a shuttle train, depending on where work is being done on the line.

This weekend it's running as a bus.

Edited by paulrivera

Was 1370 scrapped?

If you're talking about the R62 set, then yes, 1366-1370 were all scrapped because I believe 1370 was rear ended.

1366 is on Randall's Island

1367 was reefed

1368 was reefed

1369 was scrapped

1370 (half the car) is on Randall's Island