SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The signs along the (R) in Brooklyn were updated last night to show that late night service is extended to Whitehall St. No word on if the signs in  Manhattan telling people to "take (N) to 36 St for (R) " have been updated yet. None of the service songs have been updated for the (N) express or the (W).

I have pics up on the Facebook groups if you are interested.

Wow...So the  (R) being extended to whitehall st...You know why ATH??

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...So the  (R) being extended to whitehall st...You know why ATH??

To provide better connections to the (R) and reduce the number of three-leg transfers.

(If I were running things, it would go all the way to 57 St-7 Av with the (D) becoming express in Brooklyn and the (Q) express in Manhattan.)

To provide better connections to the (R) and reduce the number of three-leg transfers.

(If I were running things, it would go all the way to 57 St-7 Av with the (D) becoming express in Brooklyn and the (Q) express in Manhattan.)

Oh ok I see....That will be nice if the  (D) stayed express in bklyn...Wasn't the  (Q) changed to help along bway...

Does anyone think the MTA would ever build express platforms at 51 St on the (4) and (5) lines?

No. It's not worth the tens, if not hundreds of millions to dig a new station on the lower level express tracks.

Before anyone uses the conversion of 59 Street to an express stop as reasoning on why the same should be done for 51 Street, please don't. 59 Street was converted at a time when there were already too few connections between the Lexington Ave express and other services. Grand Central was the only station where riders could transfer for Queens service from the Lexington express. That undoubtedly led to a dangerous crowding condition at Grand Central, along with unbalanced train loading between the locals and express. Also keep in mind that the connection between 51 Street and the Queens Blvd line did not exist at that time.

Whoop there it is! Thanks. Was an interesting read.

Another question... why are there so many sealed cross-unders/overs in the system?

To add on to the other comment on the subject, a lot of the passageways were closed off during the time when the subway was at its lowest point and crime was at its peak. With the MTA practically broke in the 70s and 80s, there was no money in keeping a lot of these potential crime and homeless hangouts safe for regular riders.

Just saw an (M) resigned to terminate at 2 Av (this happened at B'Way Lafayette). Is this often or was it probably a quick fix to turn around an (M) ?

It happens fairly often, especially when something affects service on the Williamsburg Bridge or the Jamaica line. Of course, this was one of those times when this wasn't the cause.

Perhaps that will be a later service expansion. Of course, at that point, they might as well just extend service to 71 Avenue. Besides, 57 Street will not be a viable terminal with the (Q) running through service to/from 96 Street.

Would this Broadway Service make 4th Ave service more reliable?

(R) Whitehall St - 71st Ave

(W) Astoria - 95th Street

i'd imagine that (W) route would have similar speeds and efficacy to the 2010-2016 (N) ... nice

that (R) route also seems pretty nice. i don't think there's many riders who ride from bay ridge to qns blvd along local anyway...

With the incredible headway at night between trains, I believe that the MTA would provide better service by running 3 local services so passengers can get moving faster rather than waiting on the platform. Not only is track work common at night, they often necessitate keeping some tracks free of revenue traffic.

The (R) to Whitehall Street–South Ferry is actually the MTA’s best late-night service expansion ever.

Those transferring from the (1) can use some very clever commuting tricks to get around downtown Brooklyn from the west side of Manhattan. For example, I could see that the countdown clock says the (2) train is 18 minutes away, and knowing that there are two services to downtown Brooklyn from Whitehall Street–South Ferry for a combined headway of 10 minutes between trains, I’d take the (1) to the (N) or (R) since my average wait time would be 5 minutes but my worse case might be 10—still a lot better than an upfront declaration of an 18-minute wait for the (2).

Those on the (2), (4), (A), (F), (G), and (Q) can also take advantage of the increased frequency at Borough Hall, Jay Street–MetroTech, DeKalb Avenue, Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center, and Smith–9 Streets. Passengers transferring at the latter three stops can also take advantage of (D) local service to decrease the average wait time down to 3 minutes and 20 seconds (assuming their destination is also a 4 Avenue stop between DeKalb Avenue and 36 Street).

If transit service patterns affect the attractiveness of a neighborhood, I think I can see the appeal of Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill, Gowanus, Park Slope, Greenwood, Sunset Park and—to a certain extent—Bay Ridge rising. The area between Gowanus and Park Slope would be especially appealing given the extra options ( (D)(F)(G)(N)(R)).

It’s an exciting time for nightlife. :D

With the incredible headway at night between trains, I believe that the MTA would provide better service by running 3 local services so passengers can get moving faster rather than waiting on the platform. Not only is track work common at night, they often necessitate keeping some tracks free of revenue traffic.

The (R) to Whitehall Street–South Ferry is actually the MTA’s best late-night service expansion ever.

Those transferring from the (1) can use some very clever commuting tricks to get around downtown Brooklyn from the west side of Manhattan. For example, I could see that the countdown clock says the (2) train is 18 minutes away, and knowing that there are two services to downtown Brooklyn from Whitehall Street–South Ferry for a combined headway of 10 minutes between trains, I’d take the (1) to the (N) or (R) since my average wait time would be 5 minutes but my worse case might be 10—still a lot better than an upfront declaration of an 18-minute wait for the (2).

Those on the (2), (4), (A), (F), (G), and (Q) can also take advantage of the increased frequency at Borough Hall, Jay Street–MetroTech, DeKalb Avenue, Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center, and Smith–9 Streets. Passengers transferring at the latter three stops can also take advantage of (D) local service to decrease the average wait time down to 3 minutes and 20 seconds (assuming their destination is also a 4 Avenue stop between DeKalb Avenue and 36 Street).

If transit service patterns affect the attractiveness of a neighborhood, I think I can see the appeal of Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill, Gowanus, Park Slope, Greenwood, Sunset Park and—to a certain extent—Bay Ridge rising. The area between Gowanus and Park Slope would be especially appealing given the extra options ( (D)(F)(G)(N)(R)).

It’s an exciting time for nightlife. :D

I agree that provide a great option from 4 ave into manhattan and vice versa...Now the  (MTA) needs to work on extending that  (5) past E180...At least to 149st Grand Con for the (4) ... :D

Would this Broadway Service make 4th Ave service more reliable?

(R) Whitehall St - 71st Ave

(W) Astoria - 95th Street

Probably, but at the expense of removing easy yard access for the (W). This service pattern was already done with the  (EE)  <N> and (R) when the first two served Queens Blvd and the latter ran to Astoria. It depends on how much dead-heading the trains will have to do to get to their yards.

i'd imagine that (W) route would have similar speeds and efficacy to the 2010-2016 (N) ... nice

that (R) route also seems pretty nice. i don't think there's many riders who ride from bay ridge to qns blvd along local anyway...

Actually, it would likely speed up the line as such a direct route without any merges would move more smoothly than the current setup.

Few people ride most long routes, so that's not the issue. The problem lies in how can a service benefit the highest amount of riders while remaining fiscally efficient.

Probably, but at the expense of removing easy yard access for the (W). This service pattern was already done with the  (EE)  <N> and (R) when the first two served Queens Blvd and the latter ran to Astoria. It depends on how much dead-heading the trains will have to do to get to their yards.

Actually, it would likely speed up the line as such a direct route without any merges would move more smoothly than the current setup.

Few people ride most long routes, so that's not the issue. The problem lies in how can a service benefit the highest amount of riders while remaining fiscally efficient.

Question for you Lance....Would it be hard for the  (MTA) to extend  (5) service to 149-Grand C....Other night im at my friend house in the BX got drop off  at gunhill but next to the   (5) not the  (2) at about 12:40am... (5) came in like 10mins but then there's the transfering mess...Had to wait 15mins for the  (2) then the long walk connection to the  (4) which i just missed and had to wait another 17 mins...Would it benifit riders and themselves if they made this move...or no

I agree that provide a great option from 4 ave into manhattan and vice versa...Now the  (MTA) needs to work on extending that  (5) past E180...At least to 149st Grand Con for the (4) ... :D

What could be done is actually extend the (5) to 86th Street and terminate/begin on the downtown express platform there in late nights.  Unless the express tracks are needed otherwise, it allows the transfer to the (4) and (6) going downtown there (uptown, that transfer can be made at 125th) without disrupting other service at 125th or 149th.  

If it's not too big of an issue to do late nights, the (5) could be extended to Grand Central then.

There are new posters on subway cars announcing the return of the (W). 6:30 AM Nov 7 is when this would go into affect.

Probably, but at the expense of removing easy yard access for the (W). This service pattern was already done with the (EE)<N> and (R) when the first two served Queens Blvd and the latter ran to Astoria. It depends on how much dead-heading the trains will have to do to get to their yards.

In my opinion, I would just have the (R) suspended during late nights and have the (W) run full time between Astoria and 95th St.

So I did end up stopping by Fulton Center and Whitehall St today. No signs of the (W) at all in Fulton Center (I can't speak for the platforms at Cortlandt tho). Whitehall Street only has the new signs for the late night (R) and the current (R) signage on both platforms is still up.

Also took the (1) through Cortlandt Street. Its basically only missing tiles, signage and turnstiles (and already has tactile edges in spots).

As some people suspected, there are two entrances on the uptown platform, one large one directly into the 2nd floor of the Oculus at the north end and another smaller one into the 2nd floor of the mall near WTC 3 on the south end. The downtown platform will apparently have stairs down to either an intermediate level or into the PATH level of the Oculus near the middle.

So I did end up stopping by Fulton Center and Whitehall St today. No signs of the (W) at all in Fulton Center (I can't speak for the platforms at Cortlandt tho). Whitehall Street only has the new signs for the late night (R) and the current (R) signage on both platforms is still up.

Also took the (1) through Cortlandt Street. Its basically only missing tiles, signage and turnstiles (and already has tactile edges in spots).

As some people suspected, there are two entrances on the uptown platform, one large one directly into the 2nd floor of the Oculus at the north end and another smaller one into the 2nd floor of the mall near WTC 3 on the south end. The downtown platform will apparently have stairs down to either an intermediate level or into the PATH level of the Oculus near the middle.

I know someone on here makes videos of Cortlandt St progress, can that person please make another video?

Why are the (L) Stations so close together, especially west of Morgan Ave? Some of them have like a Train length between them.

(N) Express?

Yes the (N) will be express, and it will run local during weekends like it used to. As mentioned, the (Q) would terminate at 57th Street, and the (W) would run during weekdays between Whitehall and Ditmars.

There are new posters on subway cars announcing the return of the (W). 6:30 AM Nov 7 is when this would go into affect.

In my opinion, I would just have the (R) suspended during late nights and have the (W) run full time between Astoria and 95th St.

Which cars have the posters?

The entire discussion has happened already:

Why not just 149 Street–Grand Concourse? The major options are there: (2) down the west side and (4) down the east side. 86 Street does not offer any additional transfer opportunities besides the (6). The next major attraction is Grand Central which adds access to the (7), (E), (N), and (R). But at that point, it would just make sense to make the trip all the way to Brooklyn Bridge–City Hall for a substantial increase in options; the choices would amount to: (2), (4), (6), (7), (D), (E), (F), (J), (L), (N), (Q), and (R). That is just a stone throw away from Bowling Green which would add a transfer to the (A). Beyond that, there are no additional transfer opportunities besides to the (S) in Brooklyn. But again, what is the load from Dyre Avenue anyway? Is it so important that the full array of options must be offered at quadruple/pentuple/sextuple the expense?

I think 149 Street–Grand Concourse gives the rider 2 Manhattan options, which is decent enough. Other additions are just luxurious toppings.

On the (A) heading back home, I had the pleasure of dealing with a beggar, candy seller and showtime performers within the same car. 

I would hope not at once. I have had a beggar and showtime performers at the same time. Someone gave money to the beggar, and the showtime performers looked annoyed.