SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd question;

If the R211's are to replace the remaining R44's and R46's in the subway system, then does that mean that all the following lines will receive new techs?

IND Rockaway Shuttle (S)

SIRR

8 Av (A)

6 Av (F)

Broadway (R)

Thats actually a good question to me... But besides those lines they could likely put some cars to serve the portion of the Second Ave Subway, primarily the (Q) and future (T) if the next phases are built. The (E) could maybe get them too but thats "only my prediction." As far as any other lines, to early to predict.

If all goes well and steady with the R211 order which in total is 1,025 with a futher option order of 520 more totaling to 1,545, I think it all depends on were the R179s will ultimately end up and what lines end up with some service enhancements.

Odd question;

If the R211's are to replace the remaining R44's and R46's in the subway system, then does that mean that all the following lines will receive new techs?

IND Rockaway Shuttle (S)

SIRR

8 Av (A)

6 Av (F)

Broadway (R)

The R44s have been gone since 2010 so yeah at this time the bulk of them should be going to the (A) and (R) lines but only time will tell.

So Pennsylvania Av on the (3) is closed again, this time until further notice.

A truck hit the structure this morning around 7, must've been bad enough to have trains skip it in both directions. I was heading to work this morning, and while walking to the (L) I seen a few B83s come down New Lots Av and turn on Christopher Av and Sackman St.

The Pennsylvania Avenue station on the No. 3 line in Brooklyn will be closed for about a month as the MTA scrambles to repair damage that happened when a truck slammed into the elevated structure Thursday morning.

The box truck collided with the base of the East New York platform at about 5:45 am. Train service on the line was suspended for an hour.

Engineers found the steel structure and the tracks to be sound, but the mezzanine needs to be repaired, said agency officials.

The MTA will run a shuttle between the Pennsylvania Avenue and the Van Siclen Avenue stops while the repairs are completed.

Why are there some speed signs with non-round numbers? "D13" on the uptown (2)(3) at Penn, "23 miles" on the Forest Hills bound (M)(R) track at Steinway come to mind, but im sure there are many others.

That's the posted speed limit within that area. Prefixes like D/GT/ST are for the appropriate timers in that area.

Why are there some speed signs with non-round numbers? "D13" on the uptown (2)(3) at Penn, "23 miles" on the Forest Hills bound (M)(R) track at Steinway come to mind, but im sure there are many others.

There are a lot of others: "16 miles" leaving 57/7 on 1 track, and "17 miles" leaving DeKalb towards the tube.  I have no clue why they don't end in a 5 or 0 though.

Honestly you guys are making it sound as if it looks like this:

iSJx06wD3.png

The new signs aren't perfect but they also aren't horrible.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

^No, if Wally becomes chairman.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That is most definitely true. He proposed it at least two years before it happened and was soundly ridiculed on SubChat for it.

That is true.  There was one poster in particular who was angry about the change when it went through because he happened to live near the 2nd Avenue (F) station (the terminal for the (V) ) and not being able to get a seat there.    

And yes, I was ridiculed about it by some, but I saw where that made sense to combine the two lines.  

So Pennsylvania Av on the (3) is closed again, this time until further notice.

A truck hit the structure this morning around 7, must've been bad enough to have trains skip it in both directions. I was heading to work this morning, and while walking to the (L) I seen a few B83s come down New Lots Av and turn on Christopher Av and Sackman St.

Dag it Wasn't  even open 2 months yet since the renovation....Back to the  (L) i go.... :(  

Is it true that all lines with colored (S) bullets, namely the :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg:, were always intended to be temporary due to some construction issue (the rebuilding of a bridge or renovation of a tunnel, for instance)? Only the black/grey (S) lines seem to stick around indefinitely. Interestingly, the (MTA) decided to use the old (H) designation instead of the during the Sandy recovery period.

Does anyone know why the downtown (E) at 50 Street, says " transfer is available to the downtown (C) train", but the uptown (E) at 50 Street doesn't specify a direction, and instead says " transfer is available to the (C) train" ?

Downtown (E) s can't transfer to the uptown (C) at 50 St, and no one would want to take an uptown (C) to a downtown (E) at 50 St, so the uptown announcements get no special treatment.