SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The upper level was not meant to continue. The lower level of City Hall was supposed to continue south. But then they changed their mind and decided to use the upper level for through service, diverting the lower level to the Manhattan Bridge north of Canal Street.

Can anyone watch this and tell me what the issue is?

I see three issues right off the bat:

- The train says Queens bound even though it's going to 57th Street

- At 47th-50th, it says "This is a Queens bound Q train via the D line, the next stop is 57th Street". The D doesn't go to Queens or 57th Street. It should say "via the F line" at this stop.

- Brooklyn bound it says "via the D line". I get that the D is the only express train late nights but I could also see people getting confused and thinking this Q train will also follow the D line when it gets to Brooklyn. "This is a Brooklyn bound Q train via the B line" might be a better choice.

There are a few of these route options that have weird announcements and/or display signage. For example, send an (N) train down the West End via Whitehall and it will announce itself as "via the (R) line" all the way down to 36 Street. Choose a (4) option from Flatbush Av to Woodlawn and the side signs will display "via PELHAM LINE" for some reason. It comes from not proofing the code and the recordings before uploading it to the on-board computers. It's apparent some of the code was reused for several route options, but the announcement was never changed to match the route in question. The problem lies in the fact that a lot of these routes are seldom used, so the errors in them are rarely noticed, if ever, until the day that route option is chosen by the train crew.

how many R68/R68A's run on N and Q train?

Usually about 2-3 during the weekdays.

Speaking of which, they have most of the signs updated for the (W)'s return. I saw a "Broadway Clip Art" style poster at Woodhaven Blvd today for the (W) and both the northbound and southbound signs at Queensboro Plaza have the (W) on them.

Usually about 2-3 during the weekdays.

Speaking of which, they have most of the signs updated for the (W)'s return. I saw a "Broadway Clip Art" style poster at Woodhaven Blvd today for the (W) and both the northbound and southbound signs at Queensboro Plaza have the (W) on them.

6RC2zYt.jpg

I took this today heading back towards Manhattan from Flushing.

One thing that's been going on with the <6> and this crap better not persist is missed trains. During the window I commute in the morning there are three scheduled trips out of PBP and I aim to get the earliest of the three. They leave at 6:52, 6:57 and 7:04. At least 3 times in this month I noticed one of the three failed to even make it's trip out of Pelham Bay. I got burned a couple of times by the 6:57 trip being a no-show and both times the 7:04 trip was unbearably slow and crowded (I guess that's what happens when one train has to pick for two). The other time it was the 6:52 that was a no-show and the 6:57 was so bad following it that it was on the 7:04 schedule in Manhattan. Each time I was late to work because of this nonsense. Whatever happened to trains actually making their trips even if it starts a couple of minutes late? 

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if the font on the sign is a little bit off, as long as it still serves its intended purpose?

This stuff looks amateur. Sure, you could pencil the stuff in on a white sheet of paper to serve its purpose, but we should expect better from a multibillion dollar agency. 

Exactly. While they are pet-peeves of mine, a slightly smaller font size is not a big issue. On the other hand, the needless abbreviations the sign makers come up with sometimes really annoys me, especially when there's enough room on the sign for the full word.