SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Exactly. While they are pet-peeves of mine, a slightly smaller font size is not a big issue. On the other hand, the needless abbreviations the sign makers come up with sometimes really annoys me, especially when there's enough room on the sign for the full word.

Also "Weekends Broadway Local" drives me up a wall... You couldn't just add "via", really?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with

Manh bnd Exp. (N) trn via W End Loc 4 Av Exp Fre Tco Tuesd Lcl

/s

It really says something that I could actually read that somewhat. It hurt though, so there is that.

Honestly you guys are making it sound as if it looks like this:

<pic removed>

The new signs aren't perfect but they also aren't horrible.

What's the ransom?  :P

A question for (5) riders-- when the (5) skips the stops in between 3 Av-149 St and E 180 St, does it go down White Plains to Nereid or to Dyre? I'm assuming Nereid since that's also the path of rush ext. trains but I never rode the (5) in the Bronx

Those trains serve both destinations. However, as conditions warrant, some trains bound for Nereid Av may terminate at E 180 Street or Gun Hill Rd.

Does it really matter, if they still look clean and serve their intended purpose?

Not really. We notice these things because we're rail enthusiasts, and some of us have a particular interest in the signs. Obviously the average Joe isn't going to notice or care that the font is slightly smaller or if it's a thinner or thicker weight or a completely different font entirely. Don't think too much into it.

New n_large.png q_xlarge.png r_xxlarge.png W_bullet.png Service

marquee3_1b_resize.jpg Beginning 6:30 AM Monday, November 7:
W_bullet.pngReturns, local in Queens and Mahattan on weekdays

Service operates between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Whitehall St-
South Ferry.
n_large.pngExpress in Manhattan on weekdays

Service runs local during late nights and on weekends.
Stops at 49 St, all times.
q_xlarge.pngIn Manhattan and Brooklyn only

Service operates between 57 St-7 Av and Coney Island.
Express service in Manhattan remains. Take the n_large.png or W_bullet.png for Queens.
r_xxlarge.pngExtended to Manhattan during late night hours

Service operates between Bay Ridge-95 St and Whitehall St-South Ferry.
Begins 11:30 PM, Saturday, Nov 5.

Map of New n_large.png q_xlarge.png r_xxlarge.png W_bullet.png Servicesn_512_16-(NQRW)-subway_map_ENb_resize.j

Does anybody know what the point of the "walk thru train" sign reading on the R46's meant?

Afrer Sandy, I think they used that sign when they parked a train on the center track at Whitehall to walk thru from kne platform to another. I forget why though.

Basically its to let people literally walk through the train from one platform to the other on a 3 track station

I've always wondered about this: back when the (JFK) was running, how did it make a faster trip than the (A)? After a few skipped stations, the (JFK) would surely get stuck at regular express speed behind the next (A) and sit in the tunnel behind each station stop of that next train? Or am I missing something?

I've always wondered about this: back when the (JFK) was running, how did it make a faster trip than the (A)? After a few skipped stations, the (JFK) would surely get stuck at regular express speed behind the next (A) and sit in the tunnel behind each station stop of that next train? Or am I missing something?

During most of the time the JFK Express ran, the A ran express in Brooklyn during rush hours only. It wasn't until 1988 that the A started running express during midday periods and the C was expanded from a rush-hour only route. That expansion of service was the final nail in the coffin for the JFK Express.

The (JFK) would get priority on the tracks. The (A) would often be local as Lance pointed out, so the express tracks would be wide open.

Does anybody know what the point of the "walk thru train" sign reading on the R46's meant?

He same reason they have "Long Island RR" and "Metro North RR" codes...unknown reasons

So, the new uptown signs for the (R)(W) have been installed. Apart from the obvious (W) related changes, the sign has another interesting change: the late night instructions for the (R) have changed. They used to tell you to "take the (N) to 34 St for the (F) ", but now the signs tell you to "take the (D) to 7 Av for the (E) " and above Herald Square, they advise you to "take (N) to Lex Av-59 St, then Downtown (4)(6) to 51 St for (E) "

Edited by Around the Horn

During most of the time the JFK Express ran, the A ran express in Brooklyn during rush hours only. It wasn't until 1988 that the A started running express during midday periods and the C was expanded from a rush-hour only route. That expansion of service was the final nail in the coffin for the JFK Express.

Interesting. So during rush hours (A) trains would occasionally be put on the local track to get passed by (JFK) trains?

Edited by Amtrak706

So, the new uptown signs for the (R)(W) have been installed. Apart from the obvious (W) related changes, the sign has another interesting change: the late night instructions for the (R) have changed. They used to tell you to "take the (N) to 34 St for the (F) ", but now the signs tell you to "take the (D) to 7 Av for the (E) " and above Herald Square, they advise you to "take (N) to Lex Av-59 St, then Downtown (4)(6) to 51 St for (E) "

Is this just in Manhattan, or in Brooklyn too?