SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They wanted to relieve congestion at DeKalb Avenue Junction.

Bring 2 Avenue to Brooklyn and Staten Island via the Gowanus Expressway. Then connect the West End Line to it and relegate the poorly-designed junction at 4 Avenue to service reroutes and non-revenue trains. It’ll save both West End and Sea Beach passengers a lot of trouble during rush hours. They could also give the Sea Beach Line a similar connection either in addition to or instead of the West End connection, but that would leave the express tracks barren along 4 Avenue. Either way, the DeKalb Avenue junction would have even less traffic.

Rerouted (L) trains? What are you talking about? How do you know it wasn't a regular R143 (J) train that had to get sent up via the (M)?

And a note on something, the Court St bound (G) train program on the R160's is set up as follows:

CROSSTOWN LCL

COURT ST

QUEENS BLVD LCL

Rerouted (L) trains? What are you talking about? How do you know it wasn't a regular R143 (J) train that had to get sent up via the (M)?

And a note on something, the Court St bound  (G) train program on the R160's is set up as follows:

CROSSTOWN LCL

COURT ST

QUEENS BLVD LCL

For some reason they have the old pre-2010 service pattern installed for the R160 (G)... Hmph. Weird.

Edited by Tonyboy515

The R143 (M) Trains were rerouted (L) Trains, not extra (M) Trains. They only did a couple round trips before being sent back to the yard

The R46 and R160 (G) Trains were however extra service trains

the R143 (M) trains were desdheaded from Canarsie to Continental and were put in to service as (M) extras. While they did use (L) crews, they were for all intents and purposes extra (M) trains, not rerouted (L) trains Edited by Dj Hammers

Exactly. They wouldn't have rerouted an in service (L) to Nassau just like that.

Now regarding the (G) programs, it's odd that's the only line other then the (V) that hasn't been updated since 2010. The crazy reroutes (that I like to call it, i.e the D to Far Rockaway) have all the updated transfers and what not. The (V) on the other hand does still have the updated transfers from 2015 and so forth, but the TV screen still lists it as the 6 Av Local and Queens Blvd Local. It's also odd that in Queens you see the (M) transfer as well on Queens Blvd lol.

It's not that odd. The (G) has never really used 160s outside of the rare reroute like the (G) to Coney Island service change a few years ago, or the complete FUBAR of the (L) the other day. The (V) on the other hand, has used 160s at the end of its run. As far as I can tell with the (G) route options, there appears to be no updates since 2009 when the (G) was extended to Church Av semi-permanently. You can tell that because the route options for the (G) to Church Av start at Forest Hills-71 Av while the only option to Court Sq from Church Av is actually from Coney Island. There's also the fact that the announcements on the (G) options south of Smith-9 Streets still say "via the (F) [local] line". Obviously, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things; it's just those little observations I notice.

I have heard and seen (before I retired) during extreme outages on the L line, when the M was going to Ninth Ave./Bay Pky.,  to be rerouted to Chambers St. so passengers would have their train going thru to Manhattan and they can change for the Lex for Union Sq. or take another train one more stop for the A/C to 14/8.  In the case last week, in order to get these R143's (and CNR could have sent a few R160's over also which of course would blend right in to the M) to CTL, PERHAPS they could have been rerouted L trains from CNR to CTL and once they get there they were kept in M service for the rest of the day.  So now you have your extra M service + some L crews.  But can't say for sure it happened like that because I was out of the loop.

I have heard and seen (before I retired) during extreme outages on the L line, when the M was going to Ninth Ave./Bay Pky.,  to be rerouted to Chambers St. so passengers would have their train going thru to Manhattan and they can change for the Lex for Union Sq. or take another train one more stop for the A/C to 14/8.  In the case last week, in order to get these R143's (and CNR could have sent a few R160's over also which of course would blend right in to the M) to CTL, PERHAPS they could have been rerouted L trains from CNR to CTL and once they get there they were kept in M service for the rest of the day.  So now you have your extra M service + some L crews.  But can't say for sure it happened like that because I was out of the loop.

Interesting theory. Anyone know if there is a (M) to Forest Hills-71 program from Canarsie?

It's not that odd. The (G) has never really used 160s outside of the rare reroute like the (G) to Coney Island service change a few years ago, or the complete FUBAR of the (L) the other day. The (V) on the other hand, has used 160s at the end of its run. As far as I can tell with the (G) route options, there appears to be no updates since 2009 when the (G) was extended to Church Av semi-permanently. You can tell that because the route options for the (G) to Church Av start at Forest Hills-71 Av while the only option to Court Sq from Church Av is actually from Coney Island. There's also the fact that the announcements on the (G) options south of Smith-9 Streets still say "via the (F) [local] line". Obviously, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things; it's just those little observations I notice.

I realized that. The (G) has to be the only line that never really got the chance to use R160's, because its program is so out of date.

Another thing, the (W) program now lists its self as "VIA ASTORIA" like the (Q) used to do pre-2010. That's strange. I never got the chance to hear the announcements of it in Queens, but my guess is that it would go like "This is an Astoria-Ditmars Blvd bound (W) train via the (N) line." One more thing, the (W) now lists itself as "VIA SEA BEACH LCL" when it's started from Kings Highway. I don't know why it was changed, but my guess is that they did it before the Sea Beac rehab happened