SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Is there a reason on how the R142/A doesn't announce the destination, then saying the next and last stop?

(Wall St on the (5) to Bowling Green)

That's a new update, all the R142s do that. It makes sense if you think about it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a new update, all the R142s do that. It makes sense if you think about it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Why can't they do that for the B Division and (7) train announcements, too? Isn't the dwell time at the platform supposed to be 10 seconds, so shouldn't you try to make the announcements as quick as possible?

Edited by SoulAce Transport

Just out of curiosity, I notice that a lot of the NTT announcement videos on Youtube, especially the rarer programs, seem to be recorded from a train that isn't moving.

Is there any way to trigger the announcements to play in order, one after the other, like a playlist (perhaps a test feature?) or is the C/R manually using the feature that allows them to cut out certain stops as necessary, for example when a train gets rerouted on the fly?

Edited by Around the Horn

(Q) trains were announcing the destination in Brooklyn as “Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue-bound” instead of the previously shortened “Coney Island-bound”.

These useless portion of the announcement really waste time stations such as 90 Street should just be 90 St not 90 St Elmhurst AV. It may reduce the dwell time in station

These useless portion of the announcement really waste time stations such as 90 Street should just be 90 St not 90 St Elmhurst AV. It may reduce the dwell time in station

As shown by that pilot program on the (5) train, shorter automated announcements do not decrease dwell times.

Edited by Around the Horn

Yeah, I heard that a few days ago. It's kind of annoying how Transit keeps going back and forth with the announcement length. When the 160s first arrived in 2006, the (N) announcements had "Coney Island-Stillwell Av-bound..." as the norm. That was eventually cut back to the now-standard "Coney Island-bound..." for the (N) and (Q). Now, it looks like we're back to the long-form announcements. I just have to ask why. Is there another Coney Island I'm not aware of that we need to distinguish between?

As shown by that pilot program on the (5) train, shorter automated announcements do not decrease dwell times.

I don't even mean that I mean instead of saying 90 St- Elmhurst AV or 82 St Jackson Heights, we could just say 90 St and 82 Street. During rush hours every second count.

Does anyone know if I can transfer from two busses onto the same line? And from subway to bus to subway?

I want do the whole thing on one fare:

Q to 96,

M15 from 96 to 86 to 72 to 63.

Q to 96

The bus will be free. The second (Q) to 96 St will cost an additional fare.

Edited by Caelestor

Does anyone know if I can transfer from two busses onto the same line? And from subway to bus to subway?

I want do the whole thing on one fare:

Q to 96,

M15 from 96 to 86 to 72 to 63.

Q to 96

No One subway to bus transfer or bus to subway transfer so essentially Q at 96 Street and M15 OR Q at 96 Street and walk to 63 St within 2 hours then Q to 96 St. Out of system transfer takes away your transfer.

But I can get on and get off the bus as many times as I want right?

Technically yes, as long as the Reciept don't expire.

At Lex-63rd on the first train to 96th Street: "EVERYONE SHUSH SO WE CAN HEAR THE ANNOUNCEMENTS" "This is a 96 Street - 2nd Avenue bound (Q) train via the second avenue line. The next stop is: 72nd Street. Stand clear of the closing doors please". *ding dong* *doors close* *train starts moving* *everyone screams* OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH

At 96th Street: "This is: 96th Street - 2nd Avenue. This is the last stop on this train. Everyone please leave the train." *train stops* *doors open* *everyone screams* OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH HISTORY! HISTORY! HISTORY! HISTORY!

Everyone was so hyped in the first car LMAO xD

The trip to 96th was so cool

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

At Lex-63rd on the first train to 96th Street: "EVERYONE SHUSH SO WE CAN HEAR THE ANNOUNCEMENTS" "This is a 96 Street - 2nd Avenue bound (Q) train via the second avenue line. The next stop is: 72nd Street. Stand clear of the closing doors please". *ding dong* *doors close* *train starts moving* *everyone screams* OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH

At 96th Street: "This is: 96th Street - 2nd Avenue. This is the last stop on this train. Everyone please leave the train." *train stops* *doors open* *everyone screams* OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH HISTORY! HISTORY! HISTORY! HISTORY!

Everyone was so hyped in the first car LMAO xD

The trip to 96th was so cool

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Do you mean the put-in from 57th, or the train from Coney Island