(N) signage has now been updated to read:

ASTORIA-DITMARS

SEA BEACH EXPRESS

BROADWAY LOCAL

(Q) signage reads:

96 ST - 2 AV

BRIGHTON LOCAL

BROADWAY EXPRESS

Now, if only they'd make the abbreviations on the A division go away, especially "34-HUDSON."

And also the (R), too.

And it also have Q70 SBS display

And M23 SBS as well.

Really? I saw one yesterday that still had the LCL designation. Maybe that set wasn't updated yet.

I saw a set yesterday that had QUEENS BLVD LOCAL. There were a couple of R160 sets on the (R), so you probably saw one of the ones that wasn't updated. I remember someone on the forums saying that the (E)'s signs now say "QUEENS BLVD EXPRESS", although I didn't see that on any of the trains yesterday. They'll probably get around to updating all the R160s at some point in the near future.

(N) signage has now been updated to read:

ASTORIA-DITMARS

SEA BEACH EXPRESS

BROADWAY LOCAL

I think that's just because it's a weekend schedule. I took the (N) today and I was like "wait, isn't it supposed to be going express?". At 14th Street, a (Q) pulled in, but it held at 34th for the (N) to catch up (why it couldn't have just held at Times Square I'm not sure)

How come NTT outside displays don't change to reflect where the train is on its route? For example, a S/B (F) train at Herald Square still reads "QUEENS BLVD EXP" even though the computer knows the train is already off Queens Blvd?

Probably has something to do with the way route programs (the combined announcements, FIND display, interior signs and exterior signs) are programmed to interact with each other...

I'll defer to whatever a coder or programmer has to say in this matter.

Probably has something to do with the way route programs (the combined announcements, FIND display, interior signs and exterior signs) are programmed to interact with each other...

I'll defer to whatever a coder or programmer has to say in this matter.

I’ll bet the answer lies in the amount of memory. There are many ways to get the effect, but they all involve storing additional attributes in memory. The naïve way to do it would be to store the display text with every station name. A smarter way would be to store the entire MTA track system as a graph and have different routes be a mere list of pointers to nodes on that graph.

Memory is cheap nowadays, so I have a hard time believing that it is a constraint, but vehicles like trains are supposed to be built with hardened parts, and industrial-grade memory might not have been cheap when the trains were first manufactured.

Edited by CenSin

I’ll bet the answer lies in the amount of memory. There are many ways to get the effect, but they all involve storing additional attributes in memory. The naïve way to do it would be to store the display text with every station name. A smarter way would be to store the entire MTA track system as a graph and have different routes be a mere list of pointers to nodes on that graph.

Memory is cheap nowadays, so I have a hard time believing that it is a constraint, but vehicles like trains are supposed to be built with hardened parts, and industrial-grade memory might not have been cheap when the trains were first manufactured.

Also remember that these trains were designed almost 15 years ago at this point. Memory wasn't so cheap back then, especially not for stuff that could withstand industrial demands. Remember, this was before smartphones and cheap flash memory.

Yeah that makes sense. I wonder if any computer system upgrades are in store for the R160s? Now would be a good time do to it, with WiFi and USB coming and those fancy new LCDs waiting to be properly used. Those LCDs would make a nice replacement for the current FIND system.

Yeah that makes sense. I wonder if any computer system upgrades are in store for the R160s? Now would be a good time do to it, with WiFi and USB coming and those fancy new LCDs waiting to be properly used. Those LCDs would make a nice replacement for the current FIND system.

You know what needs a hardware upgrade? The R142s.

I think that's just because it's a weekend schedule. I took the (N) today and I was like "wait, isn't it supposed to be going express?". At 14th Street, a (Q) pulled in, but it held at 34th for the (N) to catch up (why it couldn't have just held at Times Square I'm not sure)

Well, I meant for a weekend schedule. I'm sure it says "BROADWAY EXPRESS" on weekdays.

I know I'm interrupting, but do any of you know what station on the SIRT is best for photographing large CPL signals (not the teensy dwarf ones they've begun to put in)?

TIA!

You might be able to see some looking south from Stapleton. You can see those on GSV. Looks like there's a gantry south of Great Kills as well, but I can't confirm that it has anything.

So.... anyone riding the first ever (N) to 96th Street? (or was it the first ever Sea Beach (Q) to 96th Street? I'm so confused)

It's going to be an (N). I think it would be less confusing to have the (Q) via Sea Beach to 96th instead so Sea Beach riders don't get confused and start clamoring around for an Astoria train.

Edited by CTK246