SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

From 1981:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/rocket-report/n8810?snl=1

Charles Rocket and Charlene Tilton (the latter then playing Lucy Ewing on the original Dallas at the height of that show's popularity) riding the NYC subways early that year.

This is from the infamous sixth season of Saturday Night Live that was so badly lampooned by critics that it nearly got the show cancelled.  Only Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo survived from that infamous 1980-'81 season (that was cut short) to return the following year that saved the show. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the deal with 4th Ave express lately?

I take the (D) to Atlantic during AM rush and around 9th Ave the trains either get extremely slow or just stop completely for 5-7 mins. I've been considering just taking the (R) from 36th because it's faster.

What's your nearest subway stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<7> and (7) reliability has really been tanking this winter. The MTA should really considering removing the (7) from Flushing and making all trains express with a consistent frequency. Having the (7) hurts the reliability of the <7> especially when there is a train shortage at Flushing which seems to be every morning lately.  

The thing is those (7) local stops are gonna be in cahoots if they were all express. Also, the trains have to relay slowly into 111th street and back to flushing. Yea in the pm rush, its pretty bad too becuz you have a (7) local picking up everybody and getting delayed stop after stop until queensboro plz, that the <7> runs quite empty and the (7) cant pick up anybody at its local stops.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

No not at all. It's just sometimes the (7) gets backed up with ppl and station after station until queensboro plz in the flushing bd direction, the <7> is right behind it and thats when it runs with nobody standing.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Really lol I wonder what (7) train you take. Everyone and their family makes sure that they pack into that <7> train. The local ones are the ones that have room on them. This is true all afternoon until around 9:30 when express service ends. The thing with express services in our system is that many people hear the word express and instantly believe that it will save them a tremendous amount of time. In some cases it does but sometimes express service is so backed up, it sometimes pays to get onto the emptier local routes. Edited by NewFlyer 230

the <7> runs quite empty

You sound like a (4) and (5) train rider. To them, everything is empty compared to the Lex.

Although the one time I rode a <7> train it wasn't too packed (I think I use Lex loading guidelines too :lol: ). Then again it was 3:45 in the afternoon, and at that hour a lot of the riders in Manhattan are still at work while most of the (7)'s ridership are students that use the local stops in Queens.

Just saw 3 R142As on the  (6) back to back at Union Square today around 5PM

Also, I was wondering: on the last stops (Woodlawn, Wakefield-241 St, Van Cortlandt Park-242 St, and Pelham Bay Park), were the platforms from left to right ever used? 

Just saw 3 R142As on the  (6) back to back at Union Square today around 5PM

Also, I was wondering: on the last stops (Woodlawn, Wakefield-241 St, Van Cortlandt Park-242 St, and Pelham Bay Park), were the platforms from left to right ever used? 

They'll use them sometimes if there's some sort of construction on one of the platforms. I've gotten off on one of the side platforms at Pelham Bay once on a Saturday night.

The only time the <7> aren't packed, are a few early morning train before 7Am and some of the late night trains after 7-8pm

However the main problem with the <7> is too much priority is given to the local train and the east portion of the line, when IMO there shouldn't be local trains there in the first place

The only time the <7> aren't packed, are a few early morning train before 7Am and some of the late night trains after 7-8pm

However the main problem with the <7> is too much priority is given to the local train and the east portion of the line, when IMO there shouldn't be local trains there in the first place

The problem is that if anybody out of Flushing wanted to access a local stop, they would have to make an extra transfer (and if that local stop was 103rd Street or 111th Street, they would have to transfer and backtrack, unless they just took the Q48).

I think the main reason they still have a decent number of local trains starting at Flushing (instead of 111th) is that they want some people taking the local to the QBL at 74th Street. Remember that the peak load point is just before QBP, so if all those riders just decided to stay on the express instead of switching to the local at Junction Blvd and then transferring again at 74th, you wouldn't have enough space for the riders at Woodside to fit on the express. True, the local trains might be marginally emptier since they started at 111th, but I don't think it would be enough (since overall, you would have more people traveling west of Woodside than you presently do)