SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I would expect an 86 St station to be an order of magnitude busier than Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Murray Hill, or any of the other short platform stops.

Also, slight correction; Woodside is actually six tracks.

Still doesn't change the fact that commuter rail riders know where to be in the train. Unless more than 400 people per train (standing+seated capacity of a pair of M7s) are getting off there, then you're fine. People will either sit in the correct cars, or walk up when they are getting close, or when the conductors tell them to. And if they don't, tough luck. 

Again though, dwell time is frankly not an issue. It's the configuration of 149th st interlocking that raises more problems. N/B trains will be mostly Hudson line, and s/b will be all Harlem (NH are legally not allowed to make city stops save for Fordham, where they're only allowed to receive n/b, discharge s/b). 

And yes, woodside is 6, but the two Port Washington Branch tracks are separate beyond Harold (Sunnyside), so the 4 ML tracks don't get relieved of their burden by them (in fact, more ML trains stop at Woodside than any other stop between Penn and Jamaica). But once again. Constricting track capacity near GCT isn't an issue. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/27/2017 at 5:05 PM, quadcorder said:

Never heard of it. You probably mean the R211 mock-up in Hudson Yards, which will replace the R46 and older.

Yes I already know about the R211 series. (R211T, R211A & R211S). the question is now, Since Bombardier is forbidden to bid on the contract due to the R179 fiasco (currently, the highest is 3093 built and delivered), who should get the bid between Alstom or Kawasaki or that new Chinese manufacturing company (who is building SEPTA's dual cars) or just split the contract to 3.

My prediction is to give the majority to Kawasaki since Alstom did the majority of the R160s from 2005-2010.  

I have a question: Im gonna give you an example of the ENY line of cars that they assign to the J. How does it work? Do they put in the first 5 trips as R160A, then four trips as R32, and one each for an R143 and R179 (as test train in revenue service) or vise versa. 

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

what was it like??

The fold up seats are slightly less comfortable than the regular seats. Interior is slightly brighter than other 160s, digital signs in place of the artwork, and straphangers above the fold up seats, other than that, they feel the same as any other 160 set.

28 minutes ago, Abba said:

I’ve noticed a lot of complaints on Twitter about congestion in queens late evenings.Why don’t they run the (R) to 179to alleviate it ?

Is it because of track workers setting up after rush hour? I wonder how much the "new and improved" signals and interlockings at Roosevelt Ave and Forest Hills contribute to the congestion.