SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I have. Perhaps next week when I have school off I can take pictures of some of them. Give me specific routes, and I'll see what I can get.

I think Daniel's link covers it.

Buuuuut... if you have (5) or (A) train timetables from the early 90s....could I get a peek?

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This roster sheet only lists the official in-service assignments, hence the (M) only having 12 R42s and there only being 3 R68s on the (N)(W) and no mention of the R160 (R) or R143 (J) 

The thing with the (D) is just a column error... the R68A line should say zero.

You are right about the R42, but the (N) and (W) regularly has four trains in Queens alone. There are five sets dedicated to the (N) and (W), and often more (and sometimes less) when things happen with the R160. 

The posted car assignments are a guideline of what is expected to be needed for normal rush hour service, based on the various observations by car equipment (or whatever relevant department). They are not meant to be a strict indication of what will run on a particular line. Railroad and car conditions and mostly will call for necessary adjustments to the daily car assignments, resulting in such instances as the 160s on the (R) or the 143s on the (J).

17 hours ago, RR503 said:

I think Daniel's link covers it.

Buuuuut... if you have (5) or (A) train timetables from the early 90s....could I get a peek?

I have some A timetables from 1992–1994. 5 train timetables didn't come out until 1997 or so. I can definitely take some pictures of the A.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, RR503 said:

I remember a few years ago, the (2) and (3) northbound used to fly into 96 St.  Now I understand the northbound express track dips a little, as opposed to the local track which stays level, but trains often slow down to 10MPH on a straight track.  That dip (around 91 St) isn't even that significant.  I've missed countless connections to the (1) because of this (and the (1) always flies into that station).  Also, CBTC would be so much better than these timers; they account for safety and decrease runtimes.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, RR503 said:

First off, I'M A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT. 

Second, I have a friend in school who complained about timers on the (A) line so that something 

But I do see the issue here.

Edited by LGA Link N train

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, I won't be around, but I'm hoping a good Samaritan with a camera might be...

I'll swing by on NYE if nobody hits it before me.

21 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

First off, I'M A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT. 

Second, I have a friend in school who complained about timers on the (A) line so that something 

But I do see the issue here.

Chill - I don't think "high school kid" was meant as an insult.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:23 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

I finally caught an R46 (C) earlier. It's good that they're back.

Seeing more R32’s at random on the (A) reminds me of the good ol days when R38’s were a regular thing for the (A) as for The R46’s on the (C) along with R160’s, it’s  still unusual to me.

On 12/23/2017 at 12:37 AM, Calvin said:

Most of the time I get on a (6) Downtown, it has to bypass a few stops. 

Blame those crappy R62As. Their narrower doors and hard to understand announcements are causing trains to sit at stations a bit longer than usual, which adds up over time. The (6) needs its NTTs back. I stopped using that train to get to/from Hunter College as a result. Their A/C has also been very bad. They should have stayed on the (7). It has a shorter route and mostly elevated.

Edited by FlushingExpress

7 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

Blame those crappy R62As. Their narrower doors and hard to understand announcements are causing trains to sit at stations a bit longer than usual, which adds up over time. The (6) needs its NTTs back. I stopped using that train to get to/from Hunter College as a result. Their A/C has also been very bad. They should have stayed on the (7). It has a shorter route and mostly elevated.

but it also has CBTC, which requires NTTs...

9 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

I'm pretty sure that a lot of their mechanical problems are a result of Westchester shitting on them since they don't have 142As anymore

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'm pretty sure that a lot of their mechanical problems are a result of Westchester shitting on them since they don't have 142As anymore

That makes no sense. They “allegedly” treated their R142A’s like shit because they couldn’t keep up as the (6) is a busy line and had high car requirements. But also R62A’s are Older and ran on the (6) before running on the (7) for so long... they’re bound to have mechanical problems. Let’s not forget  Ridership has grown as well. That’s more wear and tear on those cars. So, The Yard isn’t “shitting on them” because they were given R62A’s that sounds so juvenile and petty. Yard workers are NOT railfans! 

Edited by VIP
Consise reasoning

22 minutes ago, VIP said:

That makes no sense. They “allegedly” treated their R142A’s like shit because they couldn’t keep up as the (6) is a busy line and had high car requirements. But also R62A’s are Older and ran on the (6) before running on the (7) for so long... they’re bound to have mechanical problems. Let’s not forget  Ridership has grown as well. That’s more wear and tear on those cars. So, The Yard isn’t “shitting on them” because they were given R62A’s that sounds so juvenile and petty. Yard workers are NOT railfans! 

Westchester has a rap sheet for not doing well with its cars even when they had R142As.  

Edited by Daniel The Cool

The R68s at their peak put up high MDBF numbers in the mid 2000s and they ran on long busy lines like the (D)

The R160 MDBF numbers are pretty good and they run on busy lines like the (E) and the (F).

I love the 142A's as a railfan but maybe, just maybe, the cars aren't that good. The (4) has operated the bulk of the 142A's for quite some time now and the MDBF numbers are still lousy, AFAIK the (4) train maintenance shop has good maintenance and their Bombardier 142s seem to be in pretty good shape.

2 hours ago, VIP said:

4 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Westchester's problem is purely spare factor. They are forced to run their trains into the ground because of 1. lack of yard space and 2. the large amount of trains needed to run the (6).

If Livonia has the room, I'd have five additional sets come out of there (like the (W) to/from Brooklyn) once the new fleet comes in.