SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

43 minutes ago, Calvin said:

For the upcoming new years eve celebration, Times Sq is closed until midnight. What time does the shutdown begins?

Times Square doesn't get shutdown during the celebration. Only the exits are closed while transfer between trains are still available (Including the passageway). The only stations that gets closed is the 49th Street station and the 50th Street (1) Station Northbound.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/24/2017 at 8:45 AM, FlushingExpress said:

Blame those crappy R62As. Their narrower doors and hard to understand announcements are causing trains to sit at stations a bit longer than usual, which adds up over time. The (6) needs its NTTs back. I stopped using that train to get to/from Hunter College as a result. Their A/C has also been very bad. They should have stayed on the (7). It has a shorter route and mostly elevated.

soon, you won't have to put up with what you call "crappy" R62As. These guys run faster. I was on the 6 a few days ago, and they look fine to me. So what's your bitching?

50 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

A Random thought question: Does anybody know about a R217 mock-up that I saw mentioned the other day that is to replace the R62As? two things I need:

1. A confirmation about this &

2. A clarification on it as well. (which means a photo)

Never heard of it. You probably mean the R211 mock-up in Hudson Yards, which will replace the R46 and older.

First of all let me wish a happy holiday season to everyone. Hanukah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Years and birthday folks and whatever else you wish to celebrate. While exchanging greetings with my rabbi, other mentors, and fellow retirees I asked them to peruse these forums and get back to me with their thoughts. In general the replies I received were positive but, in the subway forums in particular, it seems that some basic understanding is lacking by some posters. You've got to realize that the majority of these people I correspond with had positions of influence in the RTO, Operations and Planning, and Car Equipment departments and still have contacts and wield some influence in what goes on in the subways. Management types if you will. That's one of the reasons I try to refrain from posting in some threads because much of what gets debated is personal opinion and not based in facts or history as it pertains to NYC subway procedure. The number one question that I was told to ask, in general, is does anyone beside RTO employees know why timers were installed in locations that didn't have them many years ago ? The other part of that question is how many posters realize why the equipment was modified (slowed down) in the first place?  Look at the big picture and realize what event caused the (MTA) to be mandated by a higher authority to make major adjustments in how they operated the subways. When my mentors and then I came aboard there was no such thing as a wheel detector. Simply put the  (MTA) does not install costly pieces of infrastructure unless they have to. That's the reason why the interlocking at Freeman St on the IRT wasn't replaced when the new signals were installed on that portion of the WPR line. For those who ride the (A) express in the Fulton Street corridor and complain about the timers around Nostrand Avenue or Utica Avenue for example as soon as I heard those locations mentioned I instantly knew the reasoning behind it. One person in particular reminded me what he told his school car students years ago. Just because your daddy's car has a speedometer that goes up to 120 mph does not mean you're supposed to go that fast. That's why there are traffic signals on the streets. It all boils down to safety. School Car 101. The other two points that they brought up pertain to subway expansion and car assignments. To them subway expansion is necessary, especially in the outer boroughs, but these gentlemen ( and one lady ) all agree that even if new lines are built there has to be another line in Manhattan, especially because you really can't tie the new lines in with some existing locations because of capacity issues. Since any new subway lines must be built to B division specs you would be wasting money connecting to the QBL, for example. In their analysis all the CBTC in the world won't help by itself. Terminal capacity has to be increased and new yards must be built yet no politicians or posters mention this. Their take on this I happen to agree with. BTW if you can't maintain the existing plant ( infrastructure ) what makes anyone believe any new line is going to be well maintained ? Dream on. Point two concerns car equipment. This comes from all of my mentors, encompassing all three departments I mentioned earlier. These folks have been in NYCT since the mid 1960's, supervisory folks since the early 1980's, and one who is my best friend and was a CED supervisor in Coney Island Yard. I've only known him for 57 years and I trust his opinion and sources. As they point out to me a politician may come up with an idea and pass it on to the (MTA) chair and board. Operations and Planning will try to come up with a service plan. Meanwhile the fleet manufacturer and CED spec it out. CED does the testing w/ the builder. Assuming everything passes the testing CED accepts the fleet and determines where it's based. RTO has little or no say in the matter. We are taught and operate whatever equipment we are given. One of my mentors said that he saw a post where people were going to be re-trained on the R46. That's incorrect according to him unless the R46 has undergone some type of modification. He can operate an R46 today he said and he was originally an IRT motor instructor before he went to school car and learned 44's and 46's. I've tried to get two of them to sign up for accounts to no avail.Some of them happen to think that some posters are focusing too much on rumors and speculation and overlooking the track record of NYCT which almost never deviates from the norm. From my mentors and I though we want all of you to keep up the posting. It's not always informative but it's always entertaining. There is one poster out here who my mentors think is " way out there" with his routing proposals that they think are amusing but totally unrealistic. He shall remain nameless, lol.  Carry on.