SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

8 hours ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Random question: if the (Z) is only scheduled to run Manhattan bound during AM hours, why are there still (Z) trains running local to Manhattan during the PM rush?

Those afternoon (Z)‘s are put-ins from the yard. They run local to Manhattan, then head to Brooklyn and Queens as regular skip-stop trains. If I had to guess, they sign the trains as such to save time from changing rollsigns in each car.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Random question: if the (Z) is only scheduled to run Manhattan bound during AM hours, why are there still (Z) trains running local to Manhattan during the PM rush?

Yeah, its what S78 via Hylan said. In the AM, (Z) trains run to Manhattan in skip stop, then local back to Broadway Junction. 

In the PM, (Z) trains run local from Broadway Junction to Broad Street, then skip stop back to Queens.

28 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Don't know if mentioned elsewhere, but there were several R46's on the (C) this weekend (some are still out now). It's great, because it eliminates all that running, and allows for less crowded trains.

You mean several as in 2 sets? Because the (C) was all R160A and an 8-car R32 

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah, its what S78 via Hylan said. In the AM, (Z) trains run to Manhattan in skip stop, then local back to Broadway Junction. 

In the PM, (Z) trains run local from Broadway Junction to Broad Street, then skip stop back to Queens.

Before the Manhattan Skip-stop trip, the (Z) starts from Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center. So, basically, it's a round trip from/to Broadway Junction. 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Since there are (C) trains using R46 subway cars, my question is are the R46s out of Pitkin Yard or 207 St will handle the R46s just like the R160A-1s? (same with the R32s on the (A) out of Pitkin)

I don’t think the TA has even sorted that out yet because there seems to still be 8-car R32’s running on the (C) 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

According to a different thread, about the R142As from the (6) to the (4) : The amount of trains in total for the (6) dropped down from 40 to 36 resulting to only using R62As. 

I guess that Moshulu set doesn’t run on the (6) anymore. 

48 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's a huge gap in (J) service, the Broad street bound train was 18 minutes away from Fulton street in the middle of rush hour.

That train is gonna get hammered queens bound.

A train showed when the clock said it wasn't gonna arrive for next 6 mins, and guess what... The train was the R179, it didn't show up on the countdown clock at Fulton Street for some reason. Train still got hammered though.

I had just gotten off an (A) to Far Rock which was an 32, I wanted to ride it all the wau out there but didn't feel like it, I rode the TAs oldest train and newest one back to back.

1. Why did it take 13 years 1988-2001 (Not Sept 30, 1990 reopening included) for the NYCDOT to repair the south side (N) (Q) of the Manhattan Bridge when north side (B)  (D) took 2-3 years in each time period 1986-1988 & 2001-2004? Because according to wiki, they say the (B)(D) tracks were used the heaviest. If that was the case, why did it take years to get work done on the south side? It seems to me that before 1988, Broadway was more heavily used with 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-B_yellow.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-D_yellow.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-N.svg.png

2. What was it like riding along Broadway with no express service in years between 1988-2001 with just the (N) (R)?

3. When the final north side closure of Manhattan Bridge occurred in 2001, with the (Q) replacing the (D) on Brighton, did it make sense to use the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Qd.svg.png? When (Q) got cut back from Coney Island in Sept 2002, it ran exactly like 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Qd.svg.png but just local in Brooklyn.  

54 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

JoeKorner is updated, and apparently as well as the R46 AM put in (btw not official on the assignments), there also seems to be a PM run of R68s for the (Q) . Anyone spotted the run yet?

It even says the (D) runs 58 trains. That’s clearly incorrect.

There’s a few mistakes on the Joe Korner page:

A. The (M) Shuttle actually has 24 cars, not 12. There are two sets in service, and two in reserve in the yard that have entered service whenever the other sets need maintenance. 

B. The (N)/ (W)  has at least four sets of R68’s, if not five, not three (24 cars). I see four distinct sets frequently on my commute. 

C. Considering no one has ever seen the R68 on the (Q), my guess is it’s on the (N) / (W)

D. Clearly, the (D) does not have 464 cars, that’s obscene. 

E. Official or not, the (R) is at least 1/3 and at least 1/2 R160 during the weekend, yet there is no mention of it here. 

6 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Totally unrelated, but does anyone have/know where I could find older (1990s) subway schedules? Am now curious to see how runtimes have changed. 

I have. Perhaps next week when I have school off I can take pictures of some of them. Give me specific routes, and I'll see what I can get.

45 minutes ago, R42N said:

A. The (M) Shuttle actually has 24 cars, not 12. There are two sets in service, and two in reserve in the yard that have entered service whenever the other sets need maintenance. 

B. The (N)/ (W)  has at least four sets of R68’s, if not five, not three (24 cars). I see four distinct sets frequently on my commute. 

C. Considering no one has ever seen the R68 on the (Q), my guess is it’s on the (N) / (W)

E. Official or not, the (R) is at least 1/3 and at least 1/2 R160 during the weekend, yet there is no mention of it here. 

Actually the (M) shuttle assignment is right. The assignments are supposed to show how many trains are in service 

and yes there should have been listed 40 R68/R68A for the (N)(W) and only 280 R160s only because it seems impossible for the yard to pump out 300 R160s daily for the (N) and have inspections done, so they use R68s instead. Thats why now you’re likely seeing multiple R68s on the (N) when they used to appear mostly on the (W) 

the (D) train assignment was accidentally input twice (one for R68 and the other for R68A).

the assignments only show rush hour service and not late night/weekend fleet changes

Edited by darkstar8983

42 minutes ago, R42N said:

This roster sheet only lists the official in-service assignments, hence the (M) only having 12 R42s and there only being 3 R68s on the (N)(W) and no mention of the R160 (R) or R143 (J) 

The thing with the (D) is just a column error... the R68A line should say zero.