SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

12 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I was on the A train to Far Rockaway and I coughed mid-way through the hour ride but forgot to cover my mouth. Someone sitting two seats away from me told me to cover my mouth so I did. Then two high school kids came on the train and one of them sat in between me and that man and that man told that high school kid that I coughed and didn't cover my mouth and the high school kid got up. I got uncomfortable with the man and switched seats. I coughed again in the different seat and two women moved a little away. Then that man told them something I forgot what and gave me a handful of tissues and told me to cough into them. I did for rest of the times.

The train finally reached Far Rockaway and everyone including me, the man, and the two high school guys got off. I was walking past the man and the two high school kids and the man cursed at me. I walked right past two policemen out of the station expecting my mother who promised to pick me up to be at the station with her car but she wasn't so I called her and she told me that she'll be there in 5 minutes.

I hung up right when the man came out of the station and started chasing me. I ran for two blocks and then fell. The man caught up to me and punched me. I got back up and ran some more but the man caught up to me and just stared at me. I kept on telling the man how sorry I was for coughing without covering my mouth on the train but he didn't seem to listen.

I called my mother telling her that someone is chasing me and finally met my mother with her car. My lip was swollen and bleeding and there was a little pain with some teeth at the right and my arm was scraped.

Looks like the Mott Avenue area isn't a safe neighborhood.

My man needs some Vicks Vapor Rub. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

What he should have done to care is to just not think of harming you because you don't know any better. It's good that you called your mom and told her about that, but I doubt that Far Rockaway is not safe, despite the stop being far from a precinct.

If anything, the cops over at Mott should have done their job to protect you from a passenger like that since their job is to stop crime from occurring. It doesn't make me happy that this happened to you and I am sorry about that.

Living in Far Rockaway myself, I will say that certain suburban enclaves of the neighborhood (like in the SE section, and Bayswater) are very safe and mostly crime free. However, from my experience, the Mott Av. area near the (A) train isn't all that safe sometimes and crimes can be frequent (a robber robbed my friend at this same stop one time). @EphraimB is right in that it isn't all sunshine and roses in the area, but you just have to deal with it and I'll admit it's annoying.

As for the cops, there actually is the 101 precinct which isn't that far away, but I highly doubt they would do much. He stepped outside the subway station when he was attacked, and he might've been out of the station cop's line of sight, or they just couldn't do anything about it. Either way, it's really annoying and I wish some of them could guard the outside perimeter of the station too (I've almost never seen that); many people get into fights, scream, smoke drugs or sadly panhandle out there and I'm sure Ephraim would've been safer if this were the case. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

46 minutes ago, VIP said:

I really want to understand why any yard/maintenance worker in transit would PAINT an NTT wall white. R143 8274 has some of their walls painted... I guess cleaning is too much work huh?! Smh 

I kinda feel like that’s the MTA’s attitude tbh. They’re trying to shave costs on aesthetic upkeep

2 hours ago, VIP said:

I really want to understand why any yard/maintenance worker in transit would PAINT an NTT wall white. R143 8274 has some of their walls painted... I guess cleaning is too much work huh?! Smh 

What the R143s need is a good pressure wash and polishing. Painting their steel bodies would accomplish nothing but accumulate a mixture of steel dust and dirt. Pitkin Yard's R160s look like crap too...

Guys, you want to know what's crazy and funny? All this time I did not knew that the (E)(F)(R) are scheduled to come every 12 minutes on weekends till I checked the printed schedule for them. I don't normally ride QB so yeah, haha.

EDIT: Haven't been keeping up to date lately. But I'll try my best to.

Edited by Jemorie

On 11/30/2018 at 12:11 AM, EphraimB said:

I was on the A train to Far Rockaway and I coughed mid-way through the hour ride but forgot to cover my mouth. Someone sitting two seats away from me told me to cover my mouth so I did. Then two high school kids came on the train and one of them sat in between me and that man and that man told that high school kid that I coughed and didn't cover my mouth and the high school kid got up. I got uncomfortable with the man and switched seats. I coughed again in the different seat and two women moved a little away. Then that man told them something I forgot what and gave me a handful of tissues and told me to cough into them. I did for rest of the times.

The train finally reached Far Rockaway and everyone including me, the man, and the two high school guys got off. I was walking past the man and the two high school kids and the man cursed at me. I walked right past two policemen out of the station expecting my mother who promised to pick me up to be at the station with her car but she wasn't so I called her and she told me that she'll be there in 5 minutes.

I hung up right when the man came out of the station and started chasing me. I ran for two blocks and then fell. The man caught up to me and punched me. I got back up and ran some more but the man caught up to me and just stared at me. I kept on telling the man how sorry I was for coughing without covering my mouth on the train but he didn't seem to listen.

I called my mother telling her that someone is chasing me and finally met my mother with her car. My lip was swollen and bleeding and there was a little pain with some teeth at the right and my arm was scraped.

It was wrong of them to assault you and I'm sorry you had to go through that. But I cannot stress the importance of manners in public, especially in a confined space like a train. ALWAYS cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough, no exceptions. No one wants to be around by another person's germs.

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Is it safe at night? Is it a good idea for when it's raining or snowing? Can I rely on citibike?

With a bike you can travel between those two points quickly. I bike a mile in 4 to 5 minutes. Look up bike lanes in Manthattan. Hudson River Park bike trail has little to no traffic crossings you won't have to worry about lights.

3 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

My father told me that biking is a bad idea and too dangerous because I need a helmet and there's crazy taxis in the city.

Using Citi Bike costs more than a subway fare. I don't see a reason to bike other than exercise.

Don't recommend biking at all, drivers here are crazy.

16 hours ago, Porter said:

Someone on a weekday afternoon smoked crack on the Fulton (2)(3) platform right in front of an (MTA) employee, who ignored it. What the hell is going on?

Frankly, if you were a MTA employee would you say something? I think people just want to stay out of confrontation. Let the cops handle it.

Just now, EphraimB said:

If I get a yearly, then a citibike would be $149 a year which would make it cheaper than a subway.

Well then you would have to debate on whether or not it is worth leaving early to bike to your destination. All depends on how you value your time. 

Also depends on where you are going. i.e. you don't want to show up to work sweaty or tired right?

Then there is the risk of getting injured riding a bike. It will happen, especially in the city.

Fyi don't bike when it rains, snows, hurricanes, etc

I would just use the subway

7 minutes ago, transitfan111 said:

Well then you would have to debate on whether or not it is worth leaving early to bike to your destination. All depends on how you value your time. 

Also depends on where you are going. i.e. you don't want to show up to work sweaty or tired right?

Then there is the risk of getting injured riding a bike. It will happen, especially in the city.

Fyi don't bike when it rains, snows, hurricanes, etc

I would just use the subway

What about walking?

On 11/30/2018 at 12:11 AM, EphraimB said:

Wow If he chased after Me I'd probably cough right in his face.

On 12/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, danielhg121 said:

Chances of catching an R179 C train tmrw?? Where's the best terminal to catch them from? 168th st or Euclid?? I kinda wanna do it around 8:30AM or so...

I saw one yesterday, Northbound crawling from Spring Street to West 4th. I thought about transferring from the (A) but the train was crawling and I didn't want to deal with that.

On 12/1/2018 at 6:40 PM, Cabanamaner said:

It was wrong of them to assault you and I'm sorry you had to go through that. But I cannot stress the importance of manners in public, especially in a confined space like a train. ALWAYS cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough, no exceptions. No one wants to be around by another person's germs.

I can't stand when someone doesn't cover their mouth when they sneeze. 

17 hours ago, Porter said:

Someone on a weekday afternoon smoked crack on the Fulton (2)(3) platform right in front of an (MTA) employee, who ignored it. What the hell is going on?

If you see something say something. If you don't say something, you didn't see nothing :)