SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

15 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Cutting the (C) forces you to run the (B) weekends and run the (A) local north of 145th. Sending the (E) to Brooklyn is a non-starter as you would kill capacity and open it up to all sorts of problems by sending via Cranberry and Fulton.

No not really...

(A) runs local while the (D) maintains CPW Express.

I dont understand how the (E) kills capacity when it can merge just fine with the (A) at Canal St.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Just for fun. What would happen If the R46s started having catastrophic problems forcing the MTA to retire the whole fleet (like the R44s did).

How would you manage the fleet to provide service? 

Hopefully they hold up till 2022.

Suspend both (C) and (B) , (A) takes all the car and run local.

(E) runs local in Queens.

Suspend (W) to feed (R) or extend (W) and (J)(Z) to cover (R)  in Brooklyn. 

(M) become shuttle (using R42) between Myrtle Ave and Metropolitan Ave. (F) runs with those 8-car set train.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

Here's a list of what I think to be the 10 most deteriorated stations (this is in no specific order and is also based only on stations that I have been to)

1. Bowery (J)(Z) 

2. Norwood-205th (D) 

3. Broadway (G) 

4. West 4th (A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(M) 

5.  6th Av (L) 

6. East Broadway (F) 

7. 2nd Av (F) 

8. Hoyt-Schermerhorn (A)(C)(G) 

9. 149th St-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5) 

10. Chambers (J)(Z) 

Well Said

On 5/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

Here's a list of what I think to be the 10 most deteriorated stations (this is in no specific order and is also based only on stations that I have been to)

1. Bowery (J)(Z) 

2. Norwood-205th (D) 

3. Broadway (G) 

4. West 4th (A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(M) 

5.  6th Av (L) 

6. East Broadway (F) 

7. 2nd Av (F) 

8. Hoyt-Schermerhorn (A)(C)(G) 

9. 149th St-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5) 

10. Chambers (J)(Z) 

149th St-Grand Concourse doesn't look that bad but yes needs improvement, the worst is Third Avenue–138th Street, Chambers St of the Bronx.

It needs full modernization and renovation.

First time for everything...I was on the (6) and we pull into Grand Central mid-morning. As the doors open, a young Asian woman starts screaming as a Black teenager goes "Apple picking" (aka grabs her phone out of her hand). The black guy starts running down the platform as the platform conductor radios for police. After a minute of commotion, the perp is out of our sight and we figure a cop happened to catch him because our C/R closes down and we start to move...but as we pull into the tunnel, we see the perp with his jacket flipped inside out casually walk back to the end of the platform to wait for the next train. I hope he was still being watched by the platform conductors, but I have a bad feeling he got away clean. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

First time for everything...I was on the (6) and we pull into Grand Central mid-morning. As the doors open, a young Asian woman starts screaming as a Black teenager goes "Apple picking" (aka grabs her phone out of her hand). The black guy starts running down the platform as the platform conductor radios for police. After a minute of commotion, the perp is out of our sight and we figure a cop happened to catch him because our C/R closes down and we start to move...but as we pull into the tunnel, we see the perp with his jacket flipped inside out casually walk back to the end of the platform to wait for the next train. I hope he was still being watched by the platform conductors, but I have a bad feeling he got away clean. 

Edited by Maxwell179

2 hours ago, Abba said:

I have a question . Was there. Ever  G.O where the (1) skipped 145th st? In other words a complete run from 157-96? I know they have done 145 to 96 but I want to know if it ever started from 157?

No

4 hours ago, Abba said:

I have a question . Was there. Ever  G.O where the (1) skipped 145th st? In other words a complete run from 157-96? I know they have done 145 to 96 but I want to know if it ever started from 157?

Yes. It rarely occurs though. (The last one might’ve been 2-3 years ago)

5 hours ago, Abba said:

I think I once was on one like that back in 2012 (I remember getting on at 157th and having a very quick ride to 59th in like 10-15 mins; it could have been 137-96 though)

10 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

NTTs everywhere! The horror!

/s

The Subway is going to have two types of cars. The NTTs and the open gangway R2XXs. Its going to be really bland since the post 90s cars are so similar. A Transit fan will tell the difference. But to the average person, they are nearly identical. The only main thing separating the NTTs are the Propulsion sounds. Other than that, they look the same on both the interior and exterior.

Besides sound (and maybe some little things here and there)

What's different about a R142 - R142A - and R188?

What's different about an R143, R160A, R160B, R179. 

To me, they are all the same train. And the subway system is getting more stale by the day. 

There is a reason why people mainly fan on the :A: and (C). There's mad diversity (R32, R46, R68, R179, R211 in the future) Compare it to the (2) where it just has 1 car type. 

Liked it better when you could on any line and expect anything to show up. Now I don't hate NTTs, but when we got a fleet that has very cars similar on almost every subway line, its going to become stale. Like besides the noise it makes, what's the difference of catching an R160 Alstom vs a R160 Siemens on the (N). Or catching a R143 or R160 on the (L). Its all the same.

50 years from now I'm probably going to find the Subway Stations more interesting than the actual rolling stock we will have. (I love the newly updated  28 St, the stations in 50 years are going to look great).

But the NTTs do their job, and I hope they last long, but you gotta admit that the subway is loosing its "charm".