SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (7) (M) and (G) lines have this same pattern, with weekend service running more frequently than weekday service, likely to serve people who are not working from home and want to go out.

The (2) and (4) however are running close to normal weekday service Frequencies as opposed to Saturday service like the rest of the system from Monday to Friday

Interesting observation, meanwhile there’s a surplus of 130-140 crews sitting around or summoned to platform duties as the outside contractors sanitize the trains at the terminals. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

how does the (R) terminate at 59th St ?

It arrives at the station, but doesn't do a zone change (on the local track). The doors open and close but announces to riders that "This Train is out of customer service, going to storage". It's C.I Yard bound but, the train is checked before moving. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Probably deserves its own post, but given Coronavirus, PATH being a drain on Port Authority’s finances, and the impending bailouts, does it make sense to merge PATH into the NYC Subway?

If NJ wants to adopt all them MTA taxes, go right ahead.

Also the FRA is a massive weight around the neck for PATH. Don't know if MTA lawyers want to have that fight.

11 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

If NJ wants to adopt all them MTA taxes, go right ahead.

Also the FRA is a massive weight around the neck for PATH. Don't know if MTA lawyers want to have that fight.

They already have it for the railroads and the SI Railway, right?

3 minutes ago, Deucey said:

They already have it for the railroads and the SI Railway, right?

The railroads aren't cheap to operate either, and I don't think the SIR is under the jurisdiction?

PATH has an operating cost per passenger-mile triple that of NYC and other peers, and it's disturbing because PATH has very high ridership so you'd expect that number to be lower. https://www.nj.com/news/2015/01/whats_the_real_reason_the_port_authority_is_targeting_the_path.html

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Is there a cost estimate for how much it would cost to try to link up SIR and PATH?

I assume all overground, and only allowing compatibility South/East of Newport Pavonia? Cause otherwise you'd have to fully replace the SIR fleet for shorter car, and tunneling you're talking $1-2bil/mile.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The railroads aren't cheap to operate either, and I don't think the SIR is under the jurisdiction?

PATH has an operating cost per passenger-mile triple that of NYC and other peers, and it's disturbing because PATH has very high ridership so you'd expect that number to be lower. https://www.nj.com/news/2015/01/whats_the_real_reason_the_port_authority_is_targeting_the_path.html

Has anyone ever done a breakdown on what causes that figure to be so high? I’d guess having multiple conductors per train, but the change In operating cost from peak period to overnight seems extremely ludicrous.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

I assume all overground, and only allowing compatibility South/East of Newport Pavonia? Cause otherwise you'd have to fully replace the SIR fleet for shorter car, and tunneling you're talking $1-2bil/mile.

I’d imagine a tunnel from Grove street to the HBLR ROW, then conversion of that ROW, then a tunnel under the Arthur Kill to the North Shore Branch which can run to St George and stop there (or continue if needed).

16 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Is SIR so crowded that this matters?

Interesting find today working the Charlie. It looks like they’ve been updating the R179’s. The set I had today had the same “ding” that the Lirr M7’s have when you press the PA button. I also noticed the pause between “the next stop is” announcements and transfers has been reduced. It’s still not as fluid as the R143/160, but an improvement nonetheless. 

17 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Interesting find today working the Charlie. It looks like they’ve been updating the R179’s. The set I had today had the same “ding” that the Lirr M7’s have when you press the PA button. I also noticed the pause between “the next stop is” announcements and transfers has been reduced. It’s still not as fluid as the R143/160, but an improvement nonetheless. 

Only took them 2 years to fix it 🙄

Today I rode the subway again, ridership was sightly higher, but still very low. Seen whole families and groups of teens riding the subway today. Was very easy to social distance on all the trains I rode today.

Nothing noteworthy happened on my way to the Park, but coming home I decided to take the (N) or (Q) to the (J) home rather than the (A) to the (L) . Both the downtown (N) & (Q) pulled into 57th Street seconds apart, I look into the tunnel on the express track and see the diamond (Q) rollsign but I can't tell what type of equipment it is, I assumed it was an R46. I see the (N) pull in and its the 68A! I was gonna take the Q originally but since the N was a 68A I decided to take that instead...... but then the (Q) pull in and its an 68A!!!! *foams* R68A (Q) are really nostalgic for me since my early years of High School 68A's dominated the (Q) which I rode daily. Really enjoyed riding the 68A (Q) from 57th to Canal. 

Prior to the pandemic I was fanning the BMT Broadway line a lot due to the car swap but I'm really happy they are using 68A's on the (Q) again. 

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today I rode the subway again, ridership was sightly higher, but still very low. Seen whole families and groups of teens riding the subway today. Was very easy to social distance on all the trains I rode today.

Nothing noteworthy happened on my way to the Park, but coming home I decided to take the (N) or (Q) to the (J) home rather than the (A) to the (L) . Both the downtown (N) & (Q) pulled into 57th Street seconds apart, I look into the tunnel on the express track and see the diamond (Q) rollsign but I can't tell what type of equipment it is, I assumed it was an R46. I see the (N) pull in and its the 68A! I was gonna take the Q originally but since the N was a 68A I decided to take that instead...... but then the (Q) pull in and its an 68A!!!! *foams* R68A (Q) are really nostalgic for me since my early years of High School 68A's dominated the (Q) which I rode daily. Really enjoyed riding the 68A (Q) from 57th to Canal. 

Prior to the pandemic I was fanning the BMT Broadway line a lot due to the car swap but I'm really happy they are using 68A's on the (Q) again. 

Since the (B) is still suspended, it makes sense they're running the R68A's on other routes.

Has anybody spotted an old (Q) or <Q> Akzidenz bullet on the 68/68A sets yet? I know a lot of Concourse sets (particularly in the 2600s) have the old rolls, but not sure how many of the Coney Island cars or the 68As.

Also, interesting to see this in an old photo. This is an R32 with one of the 'Vignelli' 1969 side R16 rollsigns set to the QJ. It must have been cut to fit inside the 32/38 box. All R16 rolls are wider and not cross compatible with the R27+ boxes, but the TA modified some of them to fit. I know SmallParkShuttle, if he still posts here, has one of those modified R16 rolls. The same thing happened with some of the mid-1970s R17 rollsigns, where the TA trimmed them to fit into R21+ boxes. 

img_4961.jpg

Edited by MHV9218

The (Q) seems to have a diverse of fleet from the past few weeks spotted at the Coney Island Co-Ops. Seeing at least 4 R68/As with 7 R46s and 5 R160s on the entire line. The (N) as well, from the aftermath of Jamaica Yard's fleet exchange. 

Edited by Calvin

On 5/24/2020 at 11:40 PM, Jchambers2120 said:

They have more down time, and the cars are still under warranty so They’re getting around to the sets. Unfortunately, The R179’s will Never have the R160/R143 AAS program because it’s not compatible with the software it came equipped with. Something to note, The doors close at the same speed as the R160’s now however, The next update SHOULD* be the delayed response after hitting the Door Warning button. *fingers crossed*

4 hours ago, VIP said:

They have more down time, and the cars are still under warranty so They’re getting around to the sets. Unfortunately, The R179’s will Never have the R160/R143 AAS program because it’s not compatible with the software it came equipped with. Something to note, The doors close at the same speed as the R160’s now however, The next update SHOULD* be the delayed response after hitting the Door Warning button. *fingers crossed*

Did they fix "The Next Stop Is" glitch on the rest of the programs other then the (A) / (C)?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Also, moving this from the R-42 Thread,

Do you think the (B)(W) and (Z) will return soon, if at all when this is over?

Not for a good 6-8 months, assuming people have fears of riding mass transit and decide to take other means (cars). Less ridership = the (B)(W)(Z) being temporarily axed.