BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

44 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

That's not happening....These young gang members have no respect for the Police,The Elderly or innocent bystanders all across nyc...

Apparently, the perp in this case in Queens is 43 years old..  He was caught in a matter of seconds.. There were 2 police cruisers in the area. One of which was on patrol on Jamaica Avenue where the bus driver was able to flag down uniformed officers and the perp was apprehended.

53 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Uncalled for any time during the day.

Agreed.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: MTA, I’m sure, uses Q-Straint … for (there’s no other way of saying this) restraining the disabled mobility devices … but have they started installing the “automatic” version where the operator doesn’t have to do up the straps and the rider is facing the bus load (I.e. facing backward)?

On the Gilligs they’re on the curb side (with new flip seats) but on the new XD60s they’re on the opposite side.

I have a pic but I need to re-do my photo-host account. 

From viewing the upcoming fleet deliveries of the Xcelsiors and Prevosts, these are buses that are being removed from the thought of it: 

- All Orion VII Old Gens Hybrids (6690-6905 and 3500-3783: currently)

- 2008-09 Next Gens from 3800-3999. 4000-4019, 4040-4139, 4170-4278, 4330-4482, 4513-4630, 4656-4702 may remains to remove the Old Gen Hybrids from MTA Bus and the 3800s that are there. 

- Express MCIs around the 3000, 3100, 3200 units for MTA Bus, NYC units are to be removed 4300-4329 and remaining 2210-2228 CTs for the Express section. 

20 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Apparently, the perp in this case in Queens is 43 years old..  He was caught in a matter of seconds.. There were 2 police cruisers in the area. One of which was on patrol on Jamaica Avenue where the bus driver was able to flag down uniformed officers and the perp was apprehended.

Agreed.

Yeah...But what about the one's that not stupid enough to shoot while police is around....As we speak we still have alot ppl on the loose after shootings...Good that he got caught in a matter of mins....But come on look at the area they decided to unload on each other....Jamaica Ave...Thank god no one else was shot 

1 minute ago, biGC323232 said:

Yeah...But what about the one's that not stupid enough to shoot while police is around....As we speak we still have alot ppl on the loose after shootings...Good that he got caught in a matter of mins....But come on look at the area they decided to unload on each other....Jamaica Ave...Thank god no one else was shot 

That's a fact.. Truthfully, the shootings are getting out of control citywide.  That bullet came very close to the drivers console.

34 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How come when some buses get into accidents, they are repaired rather quick and sent back into service, while others stay on "hold" at Eastchester for 3-4 years?

Some are held for police investigations if an incident occurred involving the bus in question. 5298 was one of the units that was put on hold for years before it was repaired.

Welp, today I witnessed a n/b Q20A put-in at Main Street on a Saturday. I rly thought I was SOL when I just missed the Q44-SBS and was gonna be stuck waiting 20+ mins for another bus but lo and behold, I see a CS NG making the left turn from Roosevelt onto Main which I thought at first was a Q48 heading to layover. Left Main Street at 6:03, arrived at ~6:01 and waited around. I’m guessing dispatchers just move buses around to make up for gaps but I was wondering if it was an extra from the depot or was the bus told to go NIS from Jamaica to Main and go into service there. 

Then again, I did witness a LFSA n/b Q20A once a few yrs back before the Q44-SBS even became SBS, prob did a tripper but that was rare as hell. 

2 hours ago, Missabassie said:

Unrelated: I'm glad we're finally getting wide rear doors, but not gonna lie, I'm not crazy about these new sliding doors....

I like the new sliding doors but they close real slow and usually  give the bus problems  but it's obvious  that it will happen. I do like like how it opens and close it just looks so amazing. 

5 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Some are held for police investigations if an incident occurred involving the bus in question. 5298 was one of the units that was put on hold for years before it was repaired.

I think that was 5299 but renumbered as 5252 if I'm not mistaken. 4619 is another unit

On 6/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Just wrote my Bronx contact to have them address that. Their tech folks will have to fix it when they can. Had a conference call with them earlier today about some lines. These new schedules are not set in stone, and they are looking to get public feedback on them. The problem is they took parts of the old (MTA) Bus schedules and tried to use the NYCT format with the maps, which DO list the stops on the actual maps. (MTA) Bus maps do not. Smh... 
They will need to fix all of them because none of the new (MTA) Bus schedules will have the bus stops listed, and they should.

I don't know how long ago it ended up happening, but I checked the BxM4 and 7 schedules online and they fixed the issue 👍

unknown.png

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I don't know how long ago it ended up happening, but I checked the BxM4 and 7 schedules online and they fixed the issue 👍

unknown.png

Yeah I asked them to fix that a while ago. Took them a few days, but they addressed everything. A few of the Customer Service Reps. are in my group, so they know who I am.  It's easier for me to go through them rather than my contacts because they are more involved with Government Affairs than these sorts of issues.

6 minutes ago, MTAbus677 said:

I rode the S46 and other Staten Island bus routes yesterday. All of the Staten Island buses I rode were LFSs. Aside from the Orion VII 3GS, the local fleet is pretty bland.

That's pretty much by design. The (MTA) has had a long-term plan to standardize (to an extent) the local bus fleets by borough. For example: The Bronx is planned to go all-Nova, and Brooklyn is planned to go all-New Flyer. The idea is that having Nova buses in one borough and New Flyer buses in another is to keep the associated parts and supplies in their respective general areas, which could potentially save on costs.

Edited by paulrivera