BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's actually been a problem, even for some B/Os that are just driving. At the very beginning, they were being charged too. lol They had to adjust the range of the OMNY readers a bit, and it's still a problem. What I do is my phone is set up so that my mobile wallet can only work if the phone is unlocked, and I keep my wallet away from any of the readers, but some of the readers can have the range set too far.

I can imagine on the SBS buses that get jam packed and you are forced to stand right by the reader on the rear door, you could get double charged if, say, your wallet is in your bag or something. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird, so I definitely got on a n/b Q44-SBS put-in (bus#5992) from Main St/39 Ave around 5:40PM, I saw it make the left turn from Roosevelt onto Main but it doesn't appear on the timetable schedule. Anyone know the reason for this?

Edited by danielhg121

3 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Weird, so I definitely got on a n/b Q44-SBS put-in (bus#5992) from Main St/39 Ave around 5:40PM, I saw it make the left turn from Roosevelt onto Main but it doesn't appear on the timetable schedule. Anyone know the reason for this?

Late bus maybe?

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Sometimes there are runs that are added to a route that don't appear on the schedule. Happens a lot more than you think especially on the Q44.

37 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Sometimes there are runs that are added to a route that don't appear on the schedule. Happens a lot more than you think especially on the Q44.

The Bx12 SBS would have a shuttle running between Pelham Bay and Bay Plaza from time to time, usually on Fridays. Just yesterday I ran into one

16 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The Bx12 SBS would have a shuttle running between Pelham Bay and Bay Plaza from time to time, usually on Fridays. Just yesterday I ran into one

Well it happened yesterday also.

I was in Co-op City yesterday (co-incidentally, having taken the Bx12 there after not having done so for years) & also saw one - which ended up beating us to Bay Plaza... I was on a SBS that came from Manhattan (I took the (A) from GWB bus terminal; well 175th, to 207th out of frustration with whatever the hell was going on with the GWB, instead of continuing on with what I had wanted to do) & we just sat at PBP for 11 minutes before pulling off... Somewhere in the middle of that timeframe, an empty SBS signed up as going to Bay Plaza.... I just stayed on the bus I was already on....

I was way more miffed at three things:

1. no notice whatsoever that the SB M5's turnaround at GWB changed to being that of going 178th > Wadsworth > 177th > Broadway... Tried to catch an M5 at its normal first pickup stop & I saw a bus turning onto Broadway a block up....
  2. the fact that a SB M4 couldn't cross 179st in 13 minutes (due to all that traffic trying to get on the bridge)... pretty sure this is why the former was done with the M5... the damn thing (m4) was literally two blocks away too ! This was around 2:45pm.
  3. having waited 48 minutes for a Q50 to Flushing... I get something had to be done with the old QBx1, but at the same time, the Q50 part of the split, to this day, is being underestimated/undervalued by the MTA....

22 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

no notice whatsoever that the SB M5's turnaround at GWB changed to being that of going 178th > Wadsworth > 177th > Broadway... Tried to catch an M5 at its normal first pickup stop & I saw a bus turning onto Broadway a block up....

Might have been a traffic related detour.

we just sat at PBP for 11 minutes before pulling off...

Was this a relief? Unusual if it was, normally the relief swaps are really quick for the SBS at Pelham Bay...

having waited 48 minutes for a Q50 to Flushing...

That might have been a driver shortage related wait. Normally the Q50 runs every 30 minutes unless you were making the trip at night...

Edited by paulrivera

I'm not sure if 9510 and 9560 out of ENY has this feature. Today, getting on the M7, from Union Sq to Times Sq (9567: New Flyer XDE-40): The new bus has a projector camera that opens by itself when the bus comes to a stop and closes back and opens again at the next stop. It shows the back doors (passengers getting off) and two steps to the rear of the bus. 

Edited by Calvin

7 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Might have been a traffic related detour.

Had to have been... Nothing else makes sense.

Was this a relief? Unusual if it was, normally the relief swaps are really quick for the SBS at Pelham Bay...

TBH, I was sitting in the first row of seating behind the rear-most doors (on the right side of the bus) of a relatively crowded bus (as in, plenty of standees) & I didn't make any real attempt to try to look around people to see if there was a driver change or not.... Nor did I look out the right side of the window to see if anything of the sort was about to take place (as in, a waiting b/o on the sidewalk or whatever).....

That might have been a driver shortage related wait. Normally the Q50 runs every 30 minutes unless you were making the trip at night...

Couldn't tell you if that was the case or not... But what I can tell you is that during the wait, I saw two other ECH buses w/ the bike racks:

• one heading towards section 5 as a Q50 (b/o was a hispanic female)...
  • one likely heading towards ECH itself, OOS (b/o was a white male)...

TBH, I thought the bus w/ the female b/o was going to be the next Flushing bound bus out (basically, I thought it was going to be over an hour wait)... Then not too long after I saw the bus w/ the female b/o heading towards section 5. the bus I eventually got on arrived (b/o of this bus was a black male).... The bus that was OOS (bus w/ the white male op') passed by about 15 mins. or so into the wait.... I boarded the bus that I did, at Bartow/Co-op City Blvd a little after 5pm...

Quite honestly, I think the Flushing bound trip before the one I eventually boarded had departed early.... Because now that I look at the schedule (as I'm typing this), the bus I got on, was more or less on time.... We were SRO at the Baychester/Aldrich stop... Riders attempting to board at E. Tremont got flagged (with all the ppl. on the bus, not a single person got off there)... Hell, the stop after the Jarvis stop had like 10-15 ppl. waiting there for crying out loud... Lol....

Edited by B35 via Church

Just now, trainfan22 said:

Today on the B17, a bunch of kids in a summer camp with their chaperones got on the bus, filled  an fairly empty the bus all the way up.

I've seen summer camps on the subway many times but this is my first time seeing them on the bus.

That's very rare. When I worked in summer camp programs we usually took the subway or chartered a school bus when the subway wasn't feasible. DYCD may have made some changes...

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

That's very rare. When I worked in summer camp programs we usually took the subway or chartered a school bus when the subway wasn't feasible. DYCD may have made some changes...

Its not as rare as people think. Many summer camps use the bus to go to nearby places.

Went up to ECH today to see what's in the scrap yard these days...

1) surprisingly, many of the 6500s and some 6400s still exist, 6490 is still in the lot

2)The mobile command center RTS is in the scrap lot

3)there's a 51xx RTS that still exists, with the sign stuck as the Q5. AFAIK there's nothing notable about this particular RTS.

4)Theres 3 - 4 NGs in the scrap lot, surreal, I remember when the scrap lot was filled with TMC RTS and early to mid 90s Orion V's. Now the lot has buses that replaced those old TMCs and Orions.

5) 4904 is in scrap lot, as well as another RTS I assume is the 96 Nova that's apart of the museum fleet. I think these buses are safe, they are just there for storage

6)Theres a C40 from the 800 - 989 batch that still exists in the lot for whatever reason.

7) 2200s from CAS as well as random MCIs from the 04 - 07 batch are in the scrap lot. Weird to see the 2200s in the scrap lot.

All of this was observed from a public street, no trespassing or photos were taken. The biggest surprise is the 6500s still being in existence, I thought they would be soda cans by now..