BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the NGs, I am on 4020 (Q50), and Q50 riders are phrasing the fact that both the Q50 and Bx23 are finally getting new buses. Guess they are tired of the Vs and RTS.

Well yeah I don't blame them.  I mean the (MTA) may like putting those old buses on the line, but when you're paying for service, it sucks. They usually don't have good AC, are generally dirty (especially the ones with the cushioned seats).  The seats were so worn out on a B6 bus I took a few years ago along Avenue J that there was no way in hell that I would sit down.  Good for them... Those RTS buses need to be retired.

Can someone explain this to me?

Delays  Posted: 07/19/2016  4:09PM 

BXM6, BXM7, BXM8, BXM9, BXM10 and BXM11 buses are running with delays southbound due to traffic conditions on the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Allow additonal travel time.

Could be that people are going through the Bronx as an alternative... I know that traffic in general today was atrocious.

Can someone explain this to me?

Delays  Posted: 07/19/2016  4:09PM 

BXM6, BXM7, BXM8, BXM9, BXM10 and BXM11 buses are running with delays southbound due to traffic conditions on the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Allow additonal travel time.

A crane collapsed on the bridge. Nobody's going anywhere.

Man those bike racks on the S53/S93 are in full effect all day everyday. Every bus I saw today had a least one. When I was going home, my bus (S53) had two, and the S93 across the street (92nd & Gatling) had two. A guy waiting to go to BK had to let an S53 pass (Lily Pond & McClean) because the rack was full on that bus as well. Even the bike riders have to let a bus or two pass lmao, but I'm glad it's being used, it's very efficient.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Man those bike racks on the S53/S93 are in full effect all day everyday. Every bus I saw today had a least one. When I was going home, my bus (S53) had two, and the S93 across the street (92nd & Gatling) had two. A guy waiting to go to BK had to let an S53 pass (Lily Pond & McClean) because the rack was full on that bus as well. Even the bike riders have to let a bus or two pass lmao, but I'm glad it's being used, it's very efficient.

How long does it usually take for folks to get their bikes on and off of the racks?

If they're like SEPTA's, it takes the same time it does to load the bus normally. When the bus stops, the cyclist pulls down the rack attaches the bike and usually is the last person to board the bus. There isn't really a delay unless the cyclist is the only person boarding at the stop.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

How long does it usually take for folks to get their bikes on and off of the racks?

If they're like SEPTA's, it takes the same time it does to load the bus normally. When the bus stops, the cyclist pulls down the rack attaches the bike and usually is the last person to board the bus. There isn't really a delay unless the cyclist is the only person boarding at the stop.

This. I've seen them use it on the S93 a few times. The person loaded the bike as the other passengers were boarding, and took the bike off as the other passengers were disembarking. And the people usually ride to the major stops so they're not the only one using the stop (all the Brooklyn stops are basically major stops except for 4th & 90th, and they'll usually go to a stop like Hylan & Clove or Victory & Clove or CSI)

Didn't know (MTA) had use of Clever Devices too. Currently on RTS Novabus 5246 on the M31

Yeah they do, but I don't think they installed it on all buses.  Just some of the crosstown lines, particularly the ones that run along 57th street.

This. I've seen them use it on the S93 a few times. The person loaded the bike as the other passengers were boarding, and took the bike off as the other passengers were disembarking. And the people usually ride to the major stops so they're not the only one using the stop (all the Brooklyn stops are basically major stops except for 4th & 90th, and they'll usually go to a stop like Hylan & Clove or Victory & Clove or CSI)

Interesting.

Yeah, people usually take 18-22 secs to put the bike up and secure it on the rack. Also, as checkmate said, it doesn't really affect dwell time since others are boarding & getting off during those same 15-20 secs.  

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Started playing "tom clancy's: the division" recently, just noticed that they have a representation of MJQ depot in the game. Building looks the same on the outside, but the inside looks more like a bus station than a bus depot.

The 2011 XD40s have some of the worst repaints out of all the models. Can't even place the (MTA) logos anymore, or even position the numbers correctly or at all. God bless these new buses getting repainted in the new scheme 4 years later.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You could say the same for the 2011 LFS. Primarily the 5800 series. The numbering sceme is disgusting. Paint job overall is disgusting.

The recent repaints since the new scheme came out are absolutely abysmal regardless of bus type. You can see it when one of the first repainted C40LFs are next to a newer one. The inconsistency of the front stripes are ridiculous. I mean they can't even paint a straight line anymore.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app