BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

38 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The Clever Devices ones are often completely blank or the left side is completely blank

Yeah the Clever Devices are lemons. The SBS 79 ones are working pretty good now after they've received updates, along with 6234, but the new XD60s and those XN40s are awful. 

I wonder how version 4 is doing and why only MTA Bus got them on a small batch of buses. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yeah the Clever Devices are lemons. The SBS 79 ones are working pretty good now after they've received updates, along with 6234, but the new XD60s and those XN40s are awful. 

I wonder how version 4 is doing and why only MTA Bus got them on a small batch of buses. 

It's not so much that they are lemons(since nothing is mechanically wrong with them, which is what the term Lemon means), it's just how they are programmed.

And as we can tell, they're programmed stupidly to a certain extent.

7 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It's not so much that they are lemons(since nothing is mechanically wrong with them, which is what the term Lemon means), it's just how they are programmed.

And as we can tell, they're programmed stupidly to a certain extent.

There's so much that needs to be modified between all the screens to make them perfect. I wish there was a command center where they can do all the updates and send a code to enter on all buses. 

I wonder if refresh rates and intervals are able to be adjusted as well 🤔

42 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

There's so much that needs to be modified between all the screens to make them perfect. I wish there was a command center where they can do all the updates and send a code to enter on all buses. 

I wonder if refresh rates and intervals are able to be adjusted as well 🤔

Yeah the refresh rates, and intervals most definitely need to be revised and re-adjusted. This issue is completely persistent, and hopefully there is pro activity in fixing these screens, because Vianova's are usually very reliable, I don't know why Clever Devices lags behind on this.

37 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

A bunch of dumbasses run the (MTA). They make some stupid ass decisions on a whim at times. :(😤😤

Or maybe it's because the residents at Brownsville, East New York and other places made the MTA rush retirement.

Or did we all forget about that 🤦🤦🤦

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

They should've never retired all of RTS's so fast now they're short on buses.

That's not completely true, especially with these new deliveries. The only depots that are actually, noticeably short are Ulmer Park(still didn't get their full batch of Xcelsiors yet IIRC), and Flatbush(they lost a bunch of artics and didn't get much back in exchange to compensate for their losses). Every other depot that had RTSs got their losses filled by Hybrids or new Xcelsiors.

All of this bitching about buses... They needed to go and I'm glad they're gone. From a passenger comfort standpoint having NO AC during the dead of summer SUCKS, and all riders should be able to expect some level of comfort when riding. The new buses offer better amenities (MUCH better signage) and are environmentally friendly. Even if a depot is short, it's temporary, and we're also entering into the period where there is generally less demand for service anyway. This is all a big to do over nothing.  I remember those RTS buses well. The seats were worn out and FILTHY, not to mention that when it rained, often times the buses leaked.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

All of this bitching about buses... They needed to go and I'm glad they're gone. From a passenger comfort standpoint having NO AC during the dead of summer SUCKS, and all riders should be able to expect some level of comfort when riding. The new buses offer better amenities (MUCH better signage) and are environmentally friendly. Even if a depot is short, it's temporary, and we're also entering into the period where there is generally less demand for service anyway. This is all a big to do over nothing.  I remember those RTS buses well. The seats were worn out and FILTHY, not to mention that when it rained, often times the buses leaked.  

Thank you. +1 for that response.

Im  glad @Via Garibaldi 8 Cleared some things up. These RTS were only at a certain depot like Quill, Ulmer, ENY, Flatbush and Jamaica. Some of these depot filled in their replacement and even so the RTS had to go especially since the elderly passengers or passengers with disabilities use to struggle climbing up them stairs. The next batches to go will be the OG's following with The NG's when the time is right.

18 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Im  glad @Via Garibaldi 8 Cleared some things up. These RTS were only at a certain depot like Quill, Ulmer, ENY, Flatbush and Jamaica. Some of these depot filled in their replacement and even so the RTS had to go especially since the elderly passengers or passengers with disabilities use to struggle climbing up them stairs. The next batches to go will be the OG's following with The NG's when the time is right.

These buses came out when I was teenager and I remember when the last batch was delivered, so they have been around a VERY long time and they desperately needed to go.  I am now a grown MAN and it is amazing that they are just now retiring these buses.  I rarely give the (MTA) compliments, but on this one they get them. The local bus fleet is now ALL low floor. That is something that will speed up commutes, especially for the disabled and wheelchair bound people, and it makes the buses more accessible for them. With the RTS buses, wheelchairs were sadly a huge challenge, and sometimes the lifts would break.  Now with the local buses all having ramps, boarding is a breeze. I also enjoy the automated stops and the better climate control. I was on an M42 the other day. Very nice to ride it compared to the old RTS buses.  Only was on it for one stop but enjoyable and mind you I was standing. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You said it! These people are making such a big deal about those buses that were clearly in bad shape. I'm like stop living in the past!!! 

2 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

You said it! These people are making such a big deal about those buses that were clearly in bad shape. I'm like stop living in the past!!! 

The majority wasn't in bad shape. Structurally, they could have lasted for another year or two and would have if we went with the original (L) shutdown plan. 

Edited by Cait Sith

Honestly, MTA did have to retire the RTS at some point regardless of how long they could last, but what they should've done was keep at least half or one-third of the RTS in service until the XD40 and LFS orders were completed. That way, we wouldn't have had to worry about any shortages, and the additional RTS could've been used as storage in case of an emergency. 

Plus it's not like every single neighborhood complained about them. ENY and Brownsville were the only neighborhoods mainly complaining. The rest of the neighborhoods weren't complaining a lot, and even if they did, complaints there were in the minority. And besides, they were the best buses that could hold up at such a long lifespan. There were other buses that were in much worse condition than the RTS at even just 15-16 years of age. 

7 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Honestly, MTA did have to retire the RTS at some point regardless of how long they could last, but what they should've done was keep at least half or one-third of the RTS in service until the XD40 and LFS orders were completed. That way, we wouldn't have had to worry about any shortages, and the additional RTS could've been used as storage in case of an emergency. 

Plus it's not like every single neighborhood complained about them. ENY and Brownsville were the only neighborhoods mainly complaining. The rest of the neighborhoods weren't complaining a lot, and even if they did, complaints there were in the minority. And besides, they were the best buses that could hold up at such a long lifespan. There were other buses that were in much worse condition than the RTS at even just 15-16 years of age. 

Yes but even so enough people were formed to make it noticable to the public. Plus the only reason those neighborhoods were heard is because of them being "poor" and "dirty" and stuff like that. 

How many depots were using RTS earlier this year? What other borough besides Brooklyn had loads of diesel burning buses? So ENY and Brownsville being "the only neighborhoods mainly complaining" is a bs excuse to keep them around.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

45 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

See here's the thing(it may be off topic), in my native coast, Haiti🇭🇹, it's a culture that was claimed to be the poorest(untrue, it some parts of it) where we mostly have japanese cars from 20th century generation(also Cuba🇨🇺 with '50s and '60s cars) and it's too symbolize how grateful we are to have equipments on wheels(we don't beg for new cars). It should relate to these neighborhoods of Brooklyn, should deal with RTS' on the streets until the end of 2019(same as what my youtuber is coming from), so that they may not have to deal with shortages. But that's because they don't want to suffer increase of times from high produced pollutions and ear piercing noises(almost like the Orion VII OG CNGs), which is how I used to hate all RTS' from the time I was 9 until the time I was 14(reliked them after watching reviews and hearing loads of thoughts about these buses). Especially, the 10 yr old Orion VII NGs(quantity: 100+) out of Flatbush Depot may not be a big deal to help us add service out of that depot(like the RTS' from back then and the Xcelsiors from 2015 as what others brought up before I said it). So, the MTA and DOB should've thought 2x for more XD40s to come from the plant, helping replace RTS' before any depot's shortage.

Edited by King Transit

The RTSs were great buses but they had to go at some point... be grateful now because a lot of the older classic buses (OGs and NGs) may be gone in 5 years. Once those buses are gone would it'll be the end for the buses I knew (since the LFSs were just coming in when I left), but I still will be fine with the new buses (the Excelsiors and C40s are great!)

Edited by R68OnBroadway
grammar error

3 hours ago, Snorunts said:

You're all entitled to your own opinion but those RTS buses were in bad shape. They made our city look like old trash. They were good back in the day but a bus shouldn't last that long.

Yet you're passing this off as a fact....how exactly do you know that they were in bad shape? Even the folks down at the ceremony who have driven and worked on those buses have said that these buses could've lasted for a couple more years.....the frames of those buses were in good shape, so they could have taken more abuse. What made them look bad was just their appearance, that was it. Hell, there were groups of people that preferred those over the low floors(i.e M66 & M72 passengers that complained about the lack of space in the low floors).

And a bus shouldn't last as long as an RTS, Fishbowl or any of our old high floors have? I don't think you understand what that means. It's a testament to how well those buses have performed on our messed up streets 24/7/365 during their lifetime. We'd be surprised if any of our low floor buses can last as long as any of those. If they're still in good shape structurally and mechanically after their 12-15 year retirement schedule, they can keep on trucking, and the RTS has technically been the only fleet that has consistently proven that time and time again.

Yes, obviously, they needed to go, they were here for 5-10 years longer than they should have been.  But they have proven time and time again that they were made for New York City and they were the true workhorses of this city, whether people like it or not.

-EDIT-

Also, why do you have two accounts?

Edited by Cait Sith

9 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Yet you're passing this off as a fact....how exactly do you know that they were in bad shape? Even the folks down at the ceremony who have driven and worked on those buses have said that these buses could've lasted for a couple more years.....the frames of those buses were in good shape, so they could have taken more abuse. What made them look bad was just their appearance, that was it. Hell, there were groups of people that preferred those over the low floors(i.e M66 & M72 passengers that complained about the lack of space in the low floors).

And a bus shouldn't last as long as an RTS, Fishbowl or any of our old high floors have? I don't think you understand what that means. It's a testament to how well those buses have performed on our messed up streets 24/7/365 during their lifetime. We'd be surprised if any of our low floor buses can last as long as any of those. If they're still in good shape structurally and mechanically after their 12-15 year retirement schedule, they can keep on trucking, and the RTS has technically been the only fleet that has consistently proven that time and time again.

Yes, obviously, they needed to go, they were here for 5-10 years longer than they should have been.  But they have proven time and time again that they were made for New York City and they were the true workhorses of this city, whether people like it or not.

Not all of them were in good shape. Some of the RTS buses when it rain water would leak inside, and countless breakdowns. Yes they were easy to fix and get the bus back into service. 

4 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Not all of them were in good shape. Some of the RTS buses when it rain water would leak inside, and countless breakdowns. Yes they were easy to fix and get the bus back into service. 

Much like the majority of our new-ish buses, some of the new XD40s at ENY & Fresh Pond already have water leaks on rainy days. Some of the leaks come through the vents, and the leaks usually occur at the rear. But I understand where you are coming from since you actually drive them.

Edited by Cait Sith
Friggin typos. I hate posting on mobile.