Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The S57 is all new LFS buses now. I remember the days when they were all NGs.

.....that wasn't long ago. 

4267 is using it's blue lights. It'll be a matter of time until that bus gets pulled over.

• LMAO! 1

7 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I'd say they work 50% of the time... like what is up with those screens?

When the actual physical screens are on, the Stop Requested section always works along with the ads for when I've been on them. Its the next stop information that be the problem (for version 2 at least). 

Send a bus to S.I to get a taste of how it HAULS! (also you can see here how you need to rely only on the screen to see if the stop as been requested), and of course, the next stop information isn't working. 

5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

4267 is using it's blue lights. It'll be a matter of time until that bus gets pulled over.

*Whistle*

• Upvote 1

To get an idea of just how messed up B8 service is, even when they provide extra service, they mess it up. Two Brownsville-bound B8s leave at the same time (one a minute behind the other) from the 95 St terminal and they automatically bunch. Can't even blame traffic for that one. And it's not the B6 either.

Guess what didn't show up for the 8:30 ferry? The S46. In this scenario the 9PM bus should turn into a S96 to speed up the trip and the 9:01 would do a regular S46 trip.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

5227 the RTS has apparently been preserved by the NJ Transportation Heritage Center

I hope they know that the bus is capped at 40 mph and that they will need to reset the speed limiter.

--- REPLY ENDS HERE ---

All of the local buses have driver shields. However, I would argue that the express buses should have driver shields as well. It's because a bus driver was stabbed to death earlier today in Tampa, FL (news story and aftermath (WARNING: Graphic image).

I would go so far that a driver shield should be made standard for all "urban transit" buses nationwide.

Edited by aemoreira81

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

When the actual physical screens are on, the Stop Requested section always works along with the ads for when I've been on them. Its the next stop information that be the problem (for version 2 at least).

The Clever Devices ones are often completely blank or the left side is completely blank

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought of the morning: 4241 just finished doing a B44SBS+ run.  Damm, FB extremely short on artics. This whole XD60 order is a complete mess.

It’s not the XD60 order. Well, it kinda is but it mostly isn’t. The RTS’ weren’t supposed to be retired till later this year.

I think had they kept more of the RTS’ in Quill and sent those LFS’s to Brooklyn (that long term vision for Brooklyn to be New Flyer territory really torched them) we may not have had this mess.

Edited by paulrivera

38 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The Clever Devices ones are often completely blank or the left side is completely blank

Yeah the Clever Devices are lemons. The SBS 79 ones are working pretty good now after they've received updates, along with 6234, but the new XD60s and those XN40s are awful. 

I wonder how version 4 is doing and why only MTA Bus got them on a small batch of buses. 

5 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yeah the Clever Devices are lemons. The SBS 79 ones are working pretty good now after they've received updates, along with 6234, but the new XD60s and those XN40s are awful. 

I wonder how version 4 is doing and why only MTA Bus got them on a small batch of buses. 

It's not so much that they are lemons(since nothing is mechanically wrong with them, which is what the term Lemon means), it's just how they are programmed.

And as we can tell, they're programmed stupidly to a certain extent.

7 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It's not so much that they are lemons(since nothing is mechanically wrong with them, which is what the term Lemon means), it's just how they are programmed.

And as we can tell, they're programmed stupidly to a certain extent.

There's so much that needs to be modified between all the screens to make them perfect. I wish there was a command center where they can do all the updates and send a code to enter on all buses. 

I wonder if refresh rates and intervals are able to be adjusted as well 🤔

42 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

There's so much that needs to be modified between all the screens to make them perfect. I wish there was a command center where they can do all the updates and send a code to enter on all buses. 

I wonder if refresh rates and intervals are able to be adjusted as well 🤔

Yeah the refresh rates, and intervals most definitely need to be revised and re-adjusted. This issue is completely persistent, and hopefully there is pro activity in fixing these screens, because Vianova's are usually very reliable, I don't know why Clever Devices lags behind on this.

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

They should've never retired all of RTS's so fast now they're short on buses.

A bunch of dumbasses run the (MTA). They make some stupid ass decisions on a whim at times. :(😤😤

• LMAO! 1

37 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

A bunch of dumbasses run the (MTA). They make some stupid ass decisions on a whim at times. :(😤😤

Or maybe it's because the residents at Brownsville, East New York and other places made the MTA rush retirement.

Or did we all forget about that 🤦🤦🤦

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

They should've never retired all of RTS's so fast now they're short on buses.

That's not completely true, especially with these new deliveries. The only depots that are actually, noticeably short are Ulmer Park(still didn't get their full batch of Xcelsiors yet IIRC), and Flatbush(they lost a bunch of artics and didn't get much back in exchange to compensate for their losses). Every other depot that had RTSs got their losses filled by Hybrids or new Xcelsiors.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

All of this bitching about buses... They needed to go and I'm glad they're gone. From a passenger comfort standpoint having NO AC during the dead of summer SUCKS, and all riders should be able to expect some level of comfort when riding. The new buses offer better amenities (MUCH better signage) and are environmentally friendly. Even if a depot is short, it's temporary, and we're also entering into the period where there is generally less demand for service anyway. This is all a big to do over nothing.  I remember those RTS buses well. The seats were worn out and FILTHY, not to mention that when it rained, often times the buses leaked.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

All of this bitching about buses... They needed to go and I'm glad they're gone. From a passenger comfort standpoint having NO AC during the dead of summer SUCKS, and all riders should be able to expect some level of comfort when riding. The new buses offer better amenities (MUCH better signage) and are environmentally friendly. Even if a depot is short, it's temporary, and we're also entering into the period where there is generally less demand for service anyway. This is all a big to do over nothing.  I remember those RTS buses well. The seats were worn out and FILTHY, not to mention that when it rained, often times the buses leaked.  

Thank you. +1 for that response.

• Upvote 1

Im  glad @Via Garibaldi 8 Cleared some things up. These RTS were only at a certain depot like Quill, Ulmer, ENY, Flatbush and Jamaica. Some of these depot filled in their replacement and even so the RTS had to go especially since the elderly passengers or passengers with disabilities use to struggle climbing up them stairs. The next batches to go will be the OG's following with The NG's when the time is right.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Im  glad @Via Garibaldi 8 Cleared some things up. These RTS were only at a certain depot like Quill, Ulmer, ENY, Flatbush and Jamaica. Some of these depot filled in their replacement and even so the RTS had to go especially since the elderly passengers or passengers with disabilities use to struggle climbing up them stairs. The next batches to go will be the OG's following with The NG's when the time is right.

These buses came out when I was teenager and I remember when the last batch was delivered, so they have been around a VERY long time and they desperately needed to go.  I am now a grown MAN and it is amazing that they are just now retiring these buses.  I rarely give the (MTA) compliments, but on this one they get them. The local bus fleet is now ALL low floor. That is something that will speed up commutes, especially for the disabled and wheelchair bound people, and it makes the buses more accessible for them. With the RTS buses, wheelchairs were sadly a huge challenge, and sometimes the lifts would break.  Now with the local buses all having ramps, boarding is a breeze. I also enjoy the automated stops and the better climate control. I was on an M42 the other day. Very nice to ride it compared to the old RTS buses.  Only was on it for one stop but enjoyable and mind you I was standing. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You said it! These people are making such a big deal about those buses that were clearly in bad shape. I'm like stop living in the past!!! 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

You said it! These people are making such a big deal about those buses that were clearly in bad shape. I'm like stop living in the past!!! 

The majority wasn't in bad shape. Structurally, they could have lasted for another year or two and would have if we went with the original (L) shutdown plan. 

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Upvote 1