BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Honestly, MTA did have to retire the RTS at some point regardless of how long they could last, but what they should've done was keep at least half or one-third of the RTS in service until the XD40 and LFS orders were completed. That way, we wouldn't have had to worry about any shortages, and the additional RTS could've been used as storage in case of an emergency. 

Plus it's not like every single neighborhood complained about them. ENY and Brownsville were the only neighborhoods mainly complaining. The rest of the neighborhoods weren't complaining a lot, and even if they did, complaints there were in the minority. And besides, they were the best buses that could hold up at such a long lifespan. There were other buses that were in much worse condition than the RTS at even just 15-16 years of age. 

I can't help but wonder if that was really the case. If anything, what I got from it was Clayton Guse spewing a bunch of 💩 just to set a narrative that relied far too heavily on the ignorance of the people (not unlike certain other people).

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Not all of them were in good shape. Some of the RTS buses when it rain water would leak inside, and countless breakdowns. Yes they were easy to fix and get the bus back into service. 

the one thing that pisses me off is that I'm certain that the leaking is an easy fix... clear sealant or caulk could solve that problem in & around windows, doors, emergency hatches, etc. i do waterproofing for homes (side hustle/hobby... almost everyone at transit has one), and I believe something could be done, especially with the new(er) units. it's borderline inexcusable

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Yes, obviously, they needed to go, they were here for 5-10 years longer than they should have been.  But they have proven time and time again that they were made for New York City and they were the true workhorses of this city, whether people like it or not.

agreed. I'll be honest, being a larger man, i despised the RTS, especially the 83xx's, 84xx's, or any RTS with the drivers seat side arm (right side) it makes for a bad time operating them things. when i was at ENY, FB, etc (any yard with 49xx's, 50xx's etc) without the side arm, those RTS's i enjoyed operating immensely, especially with mechanics behind you that know how to upkeep them. i loved operating 49xx's in the rain/snow, above any other bus (aside from the 56xx D60's)  i personally feel the truest litmus test of a "good" bus is how it handles in s***ty weather... with all that said, it was time for them to go. bad for your back, awful on your knees & hips, carpal tunnel syndrome... the RTS is/was a cruel mistress to many bus operators. my uncle is currently out on comp now, and after 14 years of being a fan of the Flatbush RTS, he's paying the price, so to speak (just had successful hip replacement surgery) i myself was out on comp for lower back & knee issues, that started when i worked at RTS yards. for the history & the culture, I'm sad they're gone. but physically, i say good riddance. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

12 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Honestly, MTA did have to retire the RTS at some point regardless of how long they could last, but what they should've done was keep at least half or one-third of the RTS in service until the XD40 and LFS orders were completed. That way, we wouldn't have had to worry about any shortages, and the additional RTS could've been used as storage in case of an emergency. 

Plus it's not like every single neighborhood complained about them. ENY and Brownsville were the only neighborhoods mainly complaining. The rest of the neighborhoods weren't complaining a lot, and even if they did, complaints there were in the minority. And besides, they were the best buses that could hold up at such a long lifespan. There were other buses that were in much worse condition than the RTS at even just 15-16 years of age. 

You got sold a bill of goods & bought it, hook, line, and sinker.... Those neighborhoods were not complaining about RTS' - especially to the point where their retirement just had to be expedited...

You could take 1000 residents from those 2 neighborhoods combined & the vast majority of them wouldn't know WTF an RTS is anyway....

7 hours ago, Lex said:

I can't help but wonder if that was really the case. If anything, what I got from it was Clayton Guse spewing a bunch of 💩 just to set a narrative that relied far too heavily on the ignorance of the people (not unlike certain other people).

Exactly...

Nothing more than propaganda to further fuel duck duck Guse's environmentalist shtick....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

You got sold a bill of goods & bought it, hook, line, and sinker.... Those neighborhoods were not complaining about RTS' - especially to the point where their retirement just had to be expedited...

You could take 1000 residents from those 2 neighborhoods combined & the vast majority of them wouldn't know WTF an RTS is anyway....

Exactly...

Nothing more than propaganda to further fuel duck duck Guse's environmentalist shtick....

I'll agree with you on that. In fact, most people see it as an old ass bus that spits out dirty fumes.

They did have a bit more life in them. If it wasn't for the (L) shutdown cancellation and M14 SBS there would still be over a hundred running around. If these environmentalists didn't go to the news we would probably be running around 80 or so RTS. And yes I do feel the story used Brooklyn being rundown as an excuse to retire them faster but no matter how the fans see it it's the majority of the public that sees this bus as junk. 

2019 was their time to go whether it be in the fall or the end of April. Whether we like it or not.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I'll agree with you on that. In fact, most people see it as an old ass bus that spits out dirty fumes.

They did have a bit more life in them. If it wasn't for the (L) shutdown cancellation and M14 SBS there would still be over a hundred running around. If these environmentalists didn't go to the news we would probably be running around 80 or so RTS. And yes I do feel the story used Brooklyn being rundown as an excuse to retire them faster but no matter how the fans see it it's the majority of the public that sees this bus as junk. 

2019 was their time to go whether it be in the fall or the end of April. Whether we like it or not.

The only issue I have with all this really, is the false narrative.... The public ourselves, nor any news medium should have any direct say in, and/or when, whether any bus type or any particular subway rolling stock hits the hay for good.

12 hours ago, Q Broadway Express said:

Where do the M12 and the M55 run, please?

Generally speaking.....

M12: Abingdon sq - Columbus Circle {via 12th av}

M55: South Ferry - Bryant Park {via 5th/6th av's} 

(if you want specifics, just click the link for each one)

10 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm so glad Yukon got these buses, man these shits MOVE!! They'll be broken in real soon. 

If history continues to repeat itself, they'll be broken real soon also....

Edited by B35 via Church

17 hours ago, King Transit said:

I saw on the tracker. Seems like SC is running short, is that right ???

Yes, Hybrids are used from other MTA Bus depots if the C40s are being worked on and no other unit is available 

12 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Every bus starting from the 2018 XD40s have these..

Those are the features I appreciate. Plus, are those the feature, supporting the process of "Pedestrian Turn Warning Alerts ?"

Like here(look closely at the blue cameras)....

Edited by King Transit

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

If history continues to repeat itself, they'll be broken real soon also....

LMAOO, tbh, Yukons maintenance has gotten better over the years. Not as improved as Castleton and Charleston but overall S.I is pretty up there now. It's just unfortunate the animals on the island trash the insides all the time but the buses are always in good shape.