BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

New Over Night route out of Flatbush Depot starting Sunday June 28, 2020.

B99 will start from Nostrand Have/Flatbush ”Junction” to Manhattan W 58th Street. ThIs route is mainly due to the train service being out of service during the COvID CLEANING over night especially the number 2 train. The bus will run like a local B44 route and turn off to Eastern pkwy heading towards Flatbush ave and straight to Manhattan Bridge.

Right now operators out of Flatbush are currently doing line training. Management are considering this route to remain until further notice for a possibility for operators to pick as a new work in the future.

Standard buses or articulateds?

33 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@BM5 via Woodhaven Summer Pick schedules are out (it looks like they are making the changes they planned to implement in April. On Staten Island the big improvement is better coordination between the SIM3C & SIM33C, as well as a slight span extension for North Shore service overall)

When is the summer pick is supposed to start?

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://new.mta.info/document/6926

The B1 starting next week will have a few adjustments in headway measures. 

Compared to the old timetable, 5 min headways during the weekdays:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b001cur.pdf

Yeah, same old shit that comes with artics replacing 40 foot buses - Headway increases.

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

I have no idea what happened, but our bus driver just ordered a lady to get off the bus—singled her out. Any idea what might have happened? We had two teens without masks who got on with no fuss 15 minutes ago.

Actually, I'm still on the bus and the bus driver kicked 3 new passengers off right after they attempted to board. They all had masks on. I think the bus has become drop-off only? I've never experienced this. Including myself, there are 5 people on the bus left.

Well, what distinguished that lady (in the first quote) from the rest of you passengers?

Not that it matters, but I'm curious as to what route this was you were on....

12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I have no idea what happened, but our bus driver just ordered a lady to get off the bus—singled her out. Any idea what might have happened? We had two teens without masks who got on with no fuss 15 minutes ago.

Actually, I'm still on the bus and the bus driver kicked 3 new passengers off right after they attempted to board. They all had masks on. I think the bus has become drop-off only? I've never experienced this. Including myself, there are 5 people on the bus left.

Well, what distinguished that lady (in the first quote) from the rest of you passengers?

Not that it matters, but I'm curious as to what route this was you were on....

The pattern became apparent later on. No additional people were accepted on the bus after Brighton Beach (:bus_bullet_b68:). Along the way up Coney Island Avenue, we bypassed some other buses. The buses were pretty bunched up, I guess. I saw another bus at Avenue K which we tailed for a bit.

It was nice having a relatively spacious bus then, because I took the :bus_bullet_b1: later and this man was flailing his arms trying to get people to stop going near him on the crowded bus and a woman was just bitching at anyone who got too close.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:40 PM, Abba said:

Can they run more service . The problem is just going to get worse. But I guess if it’s free we just have know that’s It’s a risk.

Service is already at peak now that we are back to normal schedules. Social distancing is a must on the buses. 

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@BM5 via Woodhaven Summer Pick schedules are out (it looks like they are making the changes they planned to implement in April. On Staten Island the big improvement is better coordination between the SIM3C & SIM33C, as well as a slight span extension for North Shore service overall)

I'll take a look at them. Wasn't really planning on compiling a list for this summer, but looking at the Brooklyn schedule changes (all that I've seen so far), I've found a few notable changes in service levels. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

B99 Route:

So yesterday I was trained on the route with a group of other operators. It was a nice an hour and so trip from the junction Brooklyn to Manhattan W 58th.  In the city portion of the route,  they started to put up the B99 bus stops signage. By this weekend more assign bus stops will be added across Brooklyn.

I’m please to announce I will be one of the operators operating on the route when it first launch on my day off as over timE

Edited by Flatbush SBS Duece
Posted with errors

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

B99 Route:

So yesterday I was trained on the route with a group of other operators. It was a nice an hour and so trip from the junction Brooklyn to Manhattan W 58th.  In the city portion of the route,  they started to put up the B99 bus stops signage. By this weekend more assign bus stops will be added across Brooklyn.

I’m please to announce I will be one of the operators operating on the route when it first launch on my day off as over timE

I sort of wish that route would head on down further to King Hwy or Avenue N. It would be such a great help for people in the flatlands, marine park, and mill basin area. 

Also since NYC is opening up in faster phases do we know if the subways would open up over night again? 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

I sort of wish that route would head on down further to King Hwy or Avenue N. It would be such a great help for people in the flatlands, marine park, and mill basin area. 

Also since NYC is opening up in faster phases do we know if the subways would open up over night again? 

To be honest, transit doesn't really want to open up the train service from 1am to 5am. If you look at the big picture, they're saving money by cutting train service at night temporarily and the deep COVID cleaning is actually working. Since the COVID deep cleaning started on the trains and buses, NYC has seen a drastic changes with number of cases. So I truly believe the transit system was the main course of the virus spreader.

7 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

B99 Route:

I just wanted to say congratulations to you. Excellent pick up. Hopefully, management keeps this route for the long term.  

5 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

To be honest, transit doesn't really want to open up the train service from 1am to 5am. If you look at the big picture, they're saving money by cutting train service at night temporarily and the deep COVID cleaning is actually working. Since the COVID deep cleaning started on the trains and buses, NYC has seen a drastic changes with number of cases. So I truly believe the transit system was the main course of the virus spreader.

It makes me wonder how long this deep cleaning program will last, because as covid-19 continues to die down and time passes I feel like the cleanings will be the first thing that gets cut. I feel like they will justify the reduction in cleanings because the virus was taken care of and doesn’t pose a major threat to us anymore. I will say that it has been pleasant being on trains that didn’t smell like butt and sweat and instead you can actually smell soap and rubbing alcohol. Buses look and smell better too so I hope they could keep doing these cleanings long term. 

3 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It makes me wonder how long this deep cleaning program will last, because as covid-19 continues to die down and time passes I feel like the cleanings will be the first thing that gets cut. I feel like they will justify the reduction in cleanings because the virus was taken care of and doesn’t pose a major threat to us anymore. I will say that it has been pleasant being on trains that didn’t smell like butt and sweat and instead you can actually smell soap and rubbing alcohol. Buses look and smell better too so I hope they could keep doing these cleanings long term. 

They likely won't cut the cleaning for a long time(especially with Cuomo overseeing it). The fact that the large majority of cleaners are contractors is also saving them money too. I see them sticking with that in the long run.

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

https://new.mta.info/document/18036

Interesting to see on the timetable. The B99 will make stops along Canal St, Chinatown. Kinda thought it brought back part of the B51 route. 

Interesting. I was going to comment on the dearth of East River routes connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn. The :bus_bullet_b39: as the only local option is kind of limiting (no pun intended).

It’s an interesting routing reminiscent of the IRT plan to route its Brooklyn subway over the Manhattan Bridge.

Edited by CenSin

2 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Interesting. I was going to comment on the dearth of East River routes connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn. The :bus_bullet_b39: as the only local option is kind of limiting (no pun intended).

It’s an interesting routing reminiscent of the IRT plan to route its Brooklyn subway over the Manhattan Bridge.

I wish they would run this route 24/7. Personally, I still don’t feel comfortable riding the subway. They should also bring back the B51.

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

Seems like Grand Avenue and LaGuardia are the only depots that have always held onto their original 2015 NFI XD40s. Casey Stengel for the most part as well, other than the time 7401 was sent to East New York.

GA has sent an XD40 to Quill(7205). It entered service on the M9 and a few other routes. I believe they sent like 3-4 of them.

Edited by Cait Sith

15 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Seems like Grand Avenue and LaGuardia are the only depots that have always held onto their original 2015 NFI XD40s. Casey Stengel for the most part as well, other than the time 7401 was sent to East New York.

Agreed, about Casey Stengel and LGA. Interesting, that the option order units barely moved to other depots, only as loaners. 

Edited by Calvin