BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, B35 via Church said:

1st scenario: A simple "you're going to have to walk then" would've came out of my mouth afterwards..... It's like people expect you to speak things into existence or something...

2nd scenario: That's when you shrug your shoulders & just walk off.... Again, it all goes back to people hearing what they want to hear, instead of dealing with the truth and acting/reacting accordingly... Last thing I'm going to do is sit up there & try to argue down someone that's telling me the route I need, isn't running.....

In addition to that, some folks have the mentality that because they're in Manhattan, there is no need to take a bus

On 6/19/2020 at 8:36 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

There was a QBM2 I heard about that went there but was discontinued likely because nobody wanted a bus route there.

(Or because Metro Apple got shut down)

14 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

QBM2? Anyone know what the route was?

QBM2 was the Hammels route..... QBM1 was the Breezy Point route....

Unfortunately, all I have on it (QBM1) is that it ended at an old parking lot at Oceanside/Rockaway Point & that it took the Gil Hodges (today's Marine Parkway bridge).....

On 6/19/2020 at 4:57 PM, jaf0519 said:

On some levels it is kind of surprising how little some know about the other. I was on a Q65 heading towards Jamaica before the pandemic and there were two train operators heading towards the subway. One was heading to Jamaica Center and the other Jamaica-179 St. Guy heading to 179 St gets off at Parsons Blvd and asks the bus driver what bus can get him to 179 St, and the driver said he didn’t know. I know that the Q65 is MTA Bus Company and the Q43 is NYCT, but to not even be aware of what bus goes down Hillside Ave? 

Not uncommon for someone who drives/works in a borough that isn't the one they live in. I might not know all the connections out in Brooklyn but I'm always learning something new!

2 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

As seen in the MTA Bus Operations: Repainted/Wrapped Buses Thread, several of the 2011-2013 New Flyer C40LF buses have been repainted. Why are they not being given the Cuomo scheme?

They scrapped the idea. Buses from 2011 and up were originally going to get the new scheme, but that plan was scrapped.

2 hours ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Another update, #6032 from FB Depot is ghosting the B1 for today it was seen on bay ridge near the (R) Stop. 

6032 is not ghosting the B1.

FB loaned it for driver training. 

And with that does/would anybody know what Artic's 

UP getting to use on the B1 and when?

22 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

They scrapped the idea. Buses from 2011 and up were originally going to get the new scheme, but that plan was scrapped.

I was wondering what the status of that was...I thought at least the 2014+ buses would get so those big Nova/New Flyer/Prevost orders could be in the new scheme.

Whats the update with the interior information screens?

How come the 2011 Orion VIIs don't have screens but every other local bus in S.I has? What about the 4700/4800s? They put screens on some of the 2011 LFS, but not other models from that BT&E program. Also, do you know what the status is with all the new scheme XD60s, LFSAs without screens?

2 minutes ago, contor said:

6032 is not ghosting the B1.

FB loaned it for driver training. 

And with that does/would anybody know what Artic's 

UP getting to use on the B1 and when?

From the looks of things, seems as if UP needs 28-30 artic buses for the B1.

The remaining miscellaneous XD60s that could potentially make up that fleet is

4743-4753, 4756 from KB (12)

4782-4798 from GH (17) 

Ulmer Park already has 4743-4745, 4756 (4). 

All together those buses would give UP a fleet of 29. 

6 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

4782-4798 from GH (17) 

4756 is from Grand Avenue. That bus is still being used for training. 

25 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

4782-4798 from GH (17) 

Heard the 4 buses that UP has now

need to be fixed. They been parked outside for awhile.

And That's also why they have 6032 from FB to

train the drivers.

9 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I don't see how it's expensive if all the buses have the same technology and the screens can be recycled and swapped between buses. Wow, so profits over ADA compliance and accessibility huh? 

OP was asking about the Cuomo scheme on the buses, not the screens. FWIW, I don't really care if the scheme goes on the older buses, it's too flashy and I prefer the normal white and blue. 

13 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

It's more expensive to paint one scheme than another?

Blue paint costs more than white, and with some of the buses clocking in nearly 10 years old (C40, 1200s, 3G, 2011 LFS) I personally dont think its worth the expense.