BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Does the parking on streets get affected if a standard route is converted to an artic? Like the B38 on Onderdonk and Seneca Avs 

They usually extend the bus stops especially if the stops aren’t long enough to fit at least 2 artic buses. However I noticed that they don’t bother to extend a lot of the low ridership stops which isn’t too surprising.
I noticed with the recent Q12 and B38 conversions stops were eliminated so that definitely freed up some parking. However in the Q12’s case I think most of the eliminated stops remained N20 stops. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Side note: It is hilarious watching these B1 drivers exaggerate their turns and waiting for extra space with these buses. If they understood the engineering behind an artic, they would know that the turning doesn't need more radius than a 40ft bus. They're driving these buses as if it's 60ft of a non-bendy bus. But, practice makes perfect. 

2:05- Best right turn of the vid. That B/O got the bus from the right turn right into the bus stop.

4:30- That B/O was acting like he was maneuvering a whole MCI or a Prevost. Jeez louise.

5:15- I'm reminded of how much I miss the old blue SBS blinking lights.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Further proof that GH/KB does not maintain their buses.

I wouldn't go as far to say that just because of duct tape. I've seen duct tape on artics in Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Granted, The Bronx beats the living hell out of their buses, but duct tape is small compared to other things that have been seen.....like missing rear panels on D60s.

Edited by Cait Sith

Dont mean to change the subject but as of today, the Q70 route has been modified (as well as coverted to artics). 

Heading to the airport it now stops at Terminal D first, followed by C and B. Before it would stop at Terminal B first, then D and C. Bustime has been updated, but I'm madd at how every other terminal has a logical stop name 'LGA/Terminal C" and Terminal B is called 'Terminal B/HOV Lane'. Really MTA? Is that what you want the information screens to spit out to passengers, it's already bad enough the buses have the garbage clever devices that just pronounces the text at random with no next stop announcements. 

Also, southbound after it serves 74th-Roosevelt, it turns onto 75th St and continues down to Wooside, and turns right on Woodside and heads down to 61st (easy access to the eastbound LIRR platforms as well at Woodside/62nd st). 

This should've been the route from the start, alleviates dealing with traffic on Roosevelt and dealing with the horrible layover space on 61st with the Q53. 

30 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Terminal B is called 'Terminal B/HOV Lane'. Really MTA? Is that what you want the information screens to spit out to passengers, it's already bad enough the buses have the garbage clever devices that just pronounces the text at random with no next stop announcements. 

2022: "Terminal B and hov lane. Transfer to M60 Plus and Q50-L-T-D."

2 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Some routes need capacity, but others need frequency.  The B6 is a frequency-driven route.

This legit makes no sense at all....

55 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Dont mean to change the subject but as of today, the Q70 route has been modified (as well as coverted to artics). 

Heading to the airport it now stops at Terminal D first, followed by C and B. Before it would stop at Terminal B first, then D and C. Bustime has been updated, but I'm madd at how every other terminal has a logical stop name 'LGA/Terminal C" and Terminal B is called 'Terminal B/HOV Lane'. Really MTA? Is that what you want the information screens to spit out to passengers, it's already bad enough the buses have the garbage clever devices that just pronounces the text at random with no next stop announcements. 

Also, southbound after it serves 74th-Roosevelt, it turns onto 75th St and continues down to Wooside, and turns right on Woodside and heads down to 61st (easy access to the eastbound LIRR platforms as well at Woodside/62nd st). 

This should've been the route from the start, alleviates dealing with traffic on Roosevelt and dealing with the horrible layover space on 61st with the Q53. 

Yeah, that threw me for a loop when I rode the Q70 early yesterday morning also (4am trip from Woodside)... First stop was Delta Terminal & the buses don't stop along the (normal) curbside... With all the construction going on, just about everything's makeshift.... As long as I could still connect to the M60 within the airport, IDGAS (which is why I got off at the first stop within the airport)... Cool thing though was that I ended up bumping into a friend of a friend (she & like 15 other delta employees was waiting for the airport shuttle, which had arrived like 2 minutes before the M60 I ended up boarding did)....

6 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

What do the numbers infront of buses mean? Not the destination sign. I’m speaking about the numbers in the corner 

Lower right hand corner? Those are the run numbers.

Just now, B35 via Church said:

This legit makes no sense at all....

Yeah, that threw me for a loop when I rode the Q70 early yesterday morning also (4am trip from Woodside)... First stop was Delta Terminal & the buses don't stop along the (normal) curbside... With all the construction going on, just about everything's makeshift.... As long as I could still connect to the M60 within the airport, IDGAS (which is why I got off at the first stop within the airport)... Cool thing though was that I ended up bumping into a friend of a friend (she & like 15 other delta employees was waiting for the airport shuttle, which had arrived like 2 minutes before the M60 I ended up boarding did)....

Lower right hand corner? Those are the run numbers.

Yea those run numbers have been weird today cause usually I see mostly Manhattanvilles buses with 200s, 100s or even double or single digit run numbers. However while I was out today I saw that most routes had 500s, 400s or 300s. Does that mean they added more runs to those routes?

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

2:05- Best right turn of the vid. That B/O got the bus from the right turn right into the bus stop.

4:30- That B/O was acting like he was maneuvering a whole MCI or a Prevost. Jeez louise.

5:15- I'm reminded of how much I miss the old blue SBS blinking lights.

I thought I noticed that, but I figured I  was just imagining it! 

47 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Just look at all that northbound service <_<

9Fxbl3F.gif

This is why I rarely ever go to Gateway mall even though it's near my house. To get to that mall I have to take the B82 to the B83 or B42-B82-B83 or B17-B82-B83. I always get screwed waiting really long for ethier the B82 or B83 SMH.

--------------

Random thought, I was lucky enough to catch one of the few remaining GH XD60s on the BX12, I wasn't even looking for it was the first bus to show up.

Went up there to see how Fordam Road was holding after the riots and things seem pretty normal, there was closed stores though. Crazy how Jamaica Ave & Fordam shopping are as busy as they normally are while Midtown & 14th Street is still kinda dead.

One thing I thought was funny was that the MN Fordam station house was boarded up (but open).

Also I seen multiple buses in BK and the BX with "masks required" signs.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Went up there to see how Fordam Road was holding after the riots and things seem pretty normal, there was closed stores though. Crazy how Jamaica Ave & Fordam shopping are as busy as they normally are while Midtown & 14th Street is still kinda dead.

I wonder how W. 181st up in Manhattan's holding up, in terms of heavy pedestrian activity....

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Also I seen multiple buses in BK and the BX with "masks required" signs.

Yup, and with that said, I've noticed several b/o's bypassing people waiting at stops with no masks on, too....

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Another normal day of the week!

If the supposed new normal is the same as the old normal when it comes to the BS with these bus routes, is it really the new normal... Lol.

Edited by B35 via Church

16 hours ago, A Former New Yorker said:

What were the details of the Summer pick and the next route to be converted to ariculated. I haven't been active for a while

The B1 was converted to articulated service. Such was to have happened for the spring pick, but COVID-19 meant continuous Sunday (and supplemental) service for a few months. As for the next route to be converted, I expect either the B15 or the B82 SBS, as East New York is being modified to handle articulated buses.

25 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

The B1 was converted to articulated service. Such was to have happened for the spring pick, but COVID-19 meant continuous Sunday (and supplemental) service for a few months. As for the next route to be converted, I expect either the B15 or the B82 SBS, as East New York is being modified to handle articulated buses.

Has there been any news regarding a new articulated bus order?