BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, Abba said:

Yesterday I was waiting for a b12 the driver would not let me on stating that it was to full. But that’s not fair. Someone got off .Why can’t a take her place and get on? That is not right and I think I, going to report it. Is there any reason it was ok? Please sound away 

Alright, but what were the circumstances though? To me, this sounds like a situation where you tried running for the bus & just missed out.... If that's the case, the b/o doesn't have to open the door in that situation..... At that point, it's at the b/o's courtesy/discretion....

If not, then this story needs more details, before I start thinking this is something worth reporting a b/o over.....

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Snorunts said:

How full was the bus? It’s not safe being on a crowded bus during this time, especially if the front is blocked off.

I feel like several BO’s don’t care. I’ve been on a few buses recently that was packed and the driver kept letting people in. 
However today I was waiting for the bus and me and this guy was passed by a Q20A that was full with two standees however the day before I was on a crush loaded Q20A. 

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Alright, but what were the circumstances though? To me, this sounds like a situation where you tried running for the bus & just missed out.... If that's the case, the b/o doesn't have to open the door in that situation..... At that point, it's at the b/o's courtesy/discretion....

If not, then this story needs more details, before I start thinking this is something worth reporting a b/o over.....

I mean it was kind of crowded most  seats were taken but there was room to stand.  My point is that it would have been the same number of people on the bus as before . Maybe the driver could be given also a MTA bus time log to see how far the next bus is so they can determine if maybe it’s not so bad to make me wait for the next bus.  In yesterday’s case the next bus was 15 min away, if the driver knew that maybe she would have been nicer. I’m sure the next bus I also would have not been let out, but there I always a catch when something is free. In the next few weeks only a certain amount of people will be able to take buses if they keep things like this...

Edited by Abba

3 hours ago, Snorunts said:

How full was the bus? It’s not safe being on a crowded bus during this time, especially if the front is blocked off.

Can they run more service . The problem is just going to get worse. But I guess if it’s free we just have know that’s It’s a risk.

58 minutes ago, Abba said:

I mean it was kind of crowded most  seats were taken but there was room to stand.  My point is that it would have been the same number of people on the bus as before . Maybe the driver could be given also a MTA bus time log to see how far the next bus is so they can determine if maybe it’s not so bad to make me wait for the next bus.  In yesterday’s case the next bus was 15 min away, if the driver knew that maybe she would have been nicer. I’m sure the next bus I also would have not been let out, but there I always a catch when something is free. In the next few weeks only a certain amount of people will be able to take buses if they keep things like this...

I get your point - thing is though, no bus driver operating a crowded bus is going to deduce that 1 person can get on, because 1 person got off... If you're telling me that there was room to stand, well again, what were the circumstances under which you tried to board the bus? It doesn't make sense if you were already at the stop, someone got off the bus, and the b/o wouldn't let you on, under the premise that the bus was too full - especially being that free entry through the back door is permissible right now.....

As far as dispatching goes though (which is more or less what you're getting at), I'm in complete agreement there.... It's long been a problem with buses in this city.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I feel like several BO’s don’t care. I’ve been on a few buses recently that was packed and the driver kept letting people in. 
However today I was waiting for the bus and me and this guy was passed by a Q20A that was full with two standees however the day before I was on a crush loaded Q20A. 

I was sandwiched between two B12's along Albany not too long ago, coming back from White Castle.... The bus in front caught the light at Albany/Clarkson, so the b/o got his/her right turn... I didn't want to chance it (as I had to make a left at that light), so I just waited.... Long story short, that bus in question was f***ing crushloaded.... I couldn't tell you how many people were on that bus that was behind me....

Like, before the crisis & what not, I get the sense that b/o's typically (still) aren't concerned with the amount of people on the buses....

Something interesting I saw though, was a dude waiting at the bus stop (Utica/ENY av [EB direction], alongside the White Castle) with a stroller.... IDK about you, but I've never known of a baby to have a perfectly rectangular shape! Is that the new hustle to get a seat in the front, or what?!

Early from today, an Articulated B1 was in-service in preperation for Sunday. Two pics from the walk from 86 St/W.7 St to Ocean Pkwy/Shore Pkwy. 

*One is a XD-40 and another is an XD-60. 

50045221716_ba195d1219_b.jpg 50045221746_5b8ce0621f_b.jpg 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Early from today, an Articulated B1 was in-service in preperation for Sunday. Two pics from the walk from 86 St/W.7 St to Ocean Pkwy/Shore Pkwy. 

*One is a XD-40 and another is an XD-60. 

50045221716_ba195d1219_b.jpg 50045221746_5b8ce0621f_b.jpg 

Nice! Looks like the (MTA) is gonna have to transfer some artics to UP in a hurry...or are they planning on starting off with just a few and adding more later?

3 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

What will Ulmer Park be losing in exchange for the XD60s from the Bronx? (Or will the MTA finally be evening out the batches to give Grand, Stengel, and Ulmer Park consecutive batches?)

I would be satisfied with...

4710-4723, 4743-4770 (42) GA

4724-4742 (19) CS

4771-4798 (28) UP

IMO, UP should lose all of the miscellaneous XD40s that they have...

7108-7109, 7134-7139, 7255-7261, 7346-7365

They really need to make the fleets uniformed again smh...

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

42 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

4724-4742 (19) CS

4771-4798 (28) UP

Anything that involves getting rid of 7100s is a plus in my eyes

I wonder if FLA will get some XD40s from UP to replace the NGs sent to ENY.

Crazy that UP has artic's... Mainly because the depot itself is old as dirt so I didn't think it would be possible for artic's to run out of that garage.. Also crazy that the B1 rather than the B6 is the UP route they choose for artic's, considering in many cases artic's are a service cut and they would save money by having less B6 runs.

10 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder if FLA will get some XD40s from UP to replace the NGs sent to ENY.

Crazy that UP has artic's... Mainly because the depot itself is old as dirt so I didn't think it would be possible for artic's to run out of that garage.. Also crazy that the B1 rather than the B6 is the UP route they choose for artic's, considering in many cases artic's are a service cut and they would save money by having less B6 runs.

I see this as more East New York and Fresh Pond. Possibly Grand Avenue to receive UP XD's

IF FLA is on the schedule to get XD40's. I see a possible return of 7346-7363 back home and no 71xx.

I think UP operators did a shadow trip on the B6 a few weeks ago.. Might be a possibility in the future.

New Over Night route out of Flatbush Depot starting Sunday June 28, 2020.

B99 will start from Nostrand Have/Flatbush ”Junction” to Manhattan W 58th Street. ThIs route is mainly due to the train service being out of service during the COvID CLEANING over night especially the number 2 train. The bus will run like a local B44 route and turn off to Eastern pkwy heading towards Flatbush ave and straight to Manhattan Bridge.

Right now operators out of Flatbush are currently doing line training. Management are considering this route to remain until further notice for a possibility for operators to pick as a new work in the future.

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

B99 will start from Nostrand Have/Flatbush ”Junction” to Manhattan W 58th Street. ThIs route is mainly due to the train service being out of service during the COvID CLEANING over night especially the number 2 train. The bus will run like a local B44 route and turn off to Eastern pkwy heading towards Flatbush ave and straight to Manhattan Bridge.

Right now operators out of Flatbush are currently doing line training. Management are considering this route to remain until further notice for a possibility for operators to pick as a new work in the future.

This'll be interesting.

9 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

4724-4742 (19) CS

4771-4798 (28) UP

The long term plan has been making certain boroughs uniform not by number but to certain manufacturers (Bx and SI-Nova, BK- New Flyer, (MTA) Bus-Orion, etc.)

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The long term plan has been making certain boroughs uniform not by number but to certain manufacturers (Bx and SI-Nova, BK- New Flyer, (MTA) Bus-Orion, etc.)

They can still do the same within that specific models fleet. 

Even though SI fleet is mainly LFS, having miscellaneous LFS at certain depots looks weird. 

Like S.I for example.

Charleston has 8117-8183, 8259

Yukon has 8107-8116, 8184-8188, 8190-8192, 8194-8201, 8204, 8260, 8263-8299, 8301-8317

Castleton has 8189, 8193, 8202-8203, 8205-8258, 8261-8262, 8318-8323, 8399-8400

Like why not let...

Charleston have 8107-8174

Castleton have 8176-8244

Yukon have 8245-8323, 8399-8400

Ion wanna hear anything about bike racks too because those can easily get swapped (there should be some bike racks on the 2019 LFS imo). 

4 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Wow this is new! How come they don't advertise this?!

EDIT: According to this site below, looks like the route will take Start at the Junction like you said, and take Nostrand/ENY Avenues to/from Eastern Parkway, and then Eastern Parkway to Flatbush Ave and then Flatbush into the Manhattan Bridge, once in Manhattan, will take Canal St to 6th Ave. Buses will then use 6th Ave and Varick St to/from 14th St, and then take 14th down to 8th and 9th Aves. Buses will then take 8th/9th Aves to 58th St. 

https://rideschedules.com/mta-b99-bus-schedule-15150.html

I wonder how many of these overnight routes are in the making? 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

7 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Wow this is new! How come they don't advertise this?!

EDIT: According to this site below, looks like the route will take Start at the Junction like you said, and take Nostrand/ENY Avenues to/from Eastern Parkway, and then Eastern Parkway to Flatbush Ave and then Flatbush into the Manhattan Bridge, once in Manhattan, will take Canal St to 6th Ave. Buses will then use 6th Ave and Varick St to/from 14th St, and then take 14th down to 8th and 9th Aves. Buses will then take 8th/9th Aves to 58th St. 

https://rideschedules.com/mta-b99-bus-schedule-15150.html

I wonder how many of these overnight routes are in the making? 

That honestly looks like a great route, could see the potential for it being a regular full time bus line.

Off topic from this real quick, 4777 is on the B1.

Edited by NBTA
It's tracking now.

4 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Now something like this is excellent and much needed. The route is excellent. Making (2) train stops along the way into Manhattan and back. Hopefully, this will gain ridership during the overnight and they could keep this route on a permanent basis. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Now something like this is excellent and much needed. The route is excellent. Making (2) train stops along the way into Manhattan and back. Hopefully, this will gain ridership during the overnight and they could keep this route on a permanent basis. 

The other day, I was thinking to myself that an overnight B51 would've been useful as hell during these times....

Now the MTA done f***ed around and created a bus route from the Junction to Midtown North, overnights.... Well, once word gets out about this B99, B41 usage north of the Junction will wane almost instantly... Main reason people took NB B41's overnights here in Flatbush & E. Flatbush is to get to Atlantic-Barclays (for the various subway connections there) or Jay St (for the (A) /(F)).... I'd say most folks taking B41's & Q35's from points south of the Junction would be those taking these B99's overnights.... It'll definitely garner usage.

Edited by B35 via Church

This has to stop . If you want to kick people off uses without masks kick them all off(or make an announcement that you must put it on and if you don’t have you must leave)  Not just who you feel.

Edited by Abba

14 minutes ago, Abba said:

This has to stop . If you want to kick people off uses without masks kick them all off(or make an announcement that you must put it on and if you don’t have you must leave)  Not just who you feel.

Actually, I'm still on the bus and the bus driver kicked 3 new passengers off right after they attempted to board. They all had masks on. I think the bus has become drop-off only? I've never experienced this. Including myself, there are 5 people on the bus left.

Edited by CenSin