BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 6/26/2020 at 5:45 AM, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

New Over Night route out of Flatbush Depot starting Sunday June 28, 2020.

B99 will start from Nostrand Have/Flatbush ”Junction” to Manhattan W 58th Street. ThIs route is mainly due to the train service being out of service during the COvID CLEANING over night especially the number 2 train. The bus will run like a local B44 route and turn off to Eastern pkwy heading towards Flatbush ave and straight to Manhattan Bridge.

Right now operators out of Flatbush are currently doing line training. Management are considering this route to remain until further notice for a possibility for operators to pick as a new work in the future.

Oohh. That'll help the normal B44 out a lot at least.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I think there could be some interesting additions to go along with the B99 (including in other boroughs), especially in Inwood/Kingsbridge.

Running the BxM2 via Inwood overnight would be a viable option to get to/from the west side.

Inwood having its two west side subway lines ( (1)(A) ) out of service with only an east side express bus replacing it (BxM1) isn't exactly convenient imo...

5 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Running the BxM2 via Inwood overnight would be a viable option to get to/from the west side.

Inwood having its two west side subway lines ( (1)(A) ) out of service with only an east side express bus replacing it (BxM1) isn't exactly convenient imo...

That's not even an option anymore. Gotta take the Bx12 into The Bronx for the Bx15 and then transfer again in Harlem if you have to take transit. 

7 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Um. No BxM1 and BxM2 service overnight. Scrapped. 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:56 AM, MHV184 said:

Yea those run numbers have been weird today cause usually I see mostly Manhattanvilles buses with 200s, 100s or even double or single digit run numbers. However while I was out today I saw that most routes had 500s, 400s or 300s. Does that mean they added more runs to those routes?

The run numbering system was changed for the summer pick. It's more or less the same amount of runs. 

13 hours ago, paulrivera said:

How'd that happen? I woulda expected the BxM4 to get scrapped first...

The BxM4 replaces 2 subway lines with one bus route. The BxM1/2 basically replace one subway line with 2 bus routes. You do the math. (Daytime ridership being higher doesn't equal overnight ridership being higher, all things considered)

Schools will be reopening in September. Ridership may be increasing from time to time, on the phase 4 planning. 

https://abc7ny.com/6291907/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2EsRmM0y24flaiQUEAkqfRfWCiSl224A1IMIsXAh149imHr5eK5HncYEI

Edited by Calvin

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Phase 4? How many phases are we gonna have... Looking at this list for phase 4, it still doesn't have places like malls & movie theaters being operable (which, at minimum, opens the door for a phase 5)...

Malls, movie theaters, and gyms were originally included in phase 4, but were yanked from the phase 4 list last week due to being unusually riskier from a health standpoint. These will open at another date.

6 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Malls, movie theaters, and gyms were originally included in phase 4, but were yanked from the phase 4 list last week due to being unusually riskier from a health standpoint. These will open at another date.

...which speaks to my larger point... They're going to drag this out for as long as they want to.

20 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Meanwhile NJ, CT and PA malls and movie theatres are open 

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

There is a 2017 odd numbered XD60 in Staten Island on Richmond Terrace...what could that possibly be for? 

Testing artics in for the North Shore BRT? 

A one-time test on the island along the S40/90, not in service of course. It was testing along the line to see how the artic works with stops and such.

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Meanwhile NJ, CT and PA malls and movie theatres are open 

Movie Theaters aren't open.

3 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Question: Do you still have to pay $2.75 to ride on any SBS lines or no?

I think you're still supposed to. This is because although the farebox is inaccessible, the machines are still working and there is no need to access the farebox anyway.

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

A one-time test on the island along the S40/90, not in service of course. It was testing along the line to see how the artic works with stops and such.

One time test means there wasn't much to test. Seems like everything went smooth, but this is definitely something that I don't see happening until September 2021. 

I wonder what's the status with that north shore brt project. 

8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

One time test means there wasn't much to test. Seems like everything went smooth, but this is definitely something that I don't see happening until September 2021. 

I wonder what's the status with that north shore brt project. 

Your first mistake was assuming everything went smooth.

They found a lot of problems with using an Artic along Richmond Terrace, which will have to be corrected by the DOT if they ever choose to run them on the 40/90.

Regarding the S40 and artics---I can probably say where the problems would be:

1. The right turn from South Avenue onto Jewett Avenue
  2. At Jewett Avenue (each direction must make a right turn, and that right turn is already tight for a rigid; even if an LFS articulated bus were to be used, that's still a tight turn).
  3. Just west of Broadway (a tight S curve)
  4. Between Elizabeth and Pelton Avenues (a 90-degree turn diverging off Pelton Place)

That said, an LFS artic should have done the test, as I doubt Staten Island Division will ever see the New Flyer Xcelsior.

I would suggest a different route, calling the S80 instead. It would be as follows:

1. Leaving the ferry, follow the S44 to Henderson and Bement Avenues.
  2. Instead of left onto Bement, continue on Henderson to Broadway.
  3. Left on Broadway, right on Castleton Avenue.
  4. West on Castleton to Port Richmond Avenue, left onto Port Richmond.
  5. South on Port Richmond, right onto Forest Avenue, left onto Richmond Avenue.
  6. South on Richmond Avenue to Victory Boulevard, right onto Victory.
  7. Westbound on Victory to Travis Avenue, right on Travis.
  8. Trips could alternate to either the Teleport (weekdays) or Matrix Park.

The idea of bringing the route down to Victory would be to restore service from that area to The Teleport, The S46 serves the Teleport, but this would save riders on the Richmond Avenue corridor the trouble of needing to go to the Port Richmond Area to reach it. It also would restore a service cut from more than 20 years ago (the S62 used to serve The Teleport part-time after the S112 was realigned).

Also, going south would avoid all the major problems of tight turns to negotiate, as I believe that the problems on central Richmond Terrace cannot really be fixed. There can be a modification to a stop line made on Henderson that could accommodate this route, and not using Bement is intentional. Additionally, the catchment area is increased.

Now, as for stops:

1. St. George Ferry terminal
  2. Richmond Terrace and Jersey Street
  3. Henderson Avenue and Lafayette Street
  4. Henderson and Bard Avenues (short walk to RUMC)
  5. Broadway and Castleton Avenue
  6. Castleton Depot (Jewett Avenue)
  7. Port Richmond and Post Avenues
  8. Forest Avenue and Willowbrook Road/Willow Road East
  9. Forest and Richmond Avenues
  10. Richmond Avenue and Deppe Place
  11. Richmond Avenue and Lamberts Lane
  12. Victory and Richmond
  13. Victory Boulevard and Signs Road
  14. Teleport OR Matrix Park

Such would also make it infinitely easier as this route, the S93 (needing capacity similar to the B1's artic conversion) and the S79 could all be out of Yukon Depot, with the deadhead being from the outbound end via Travis Avenue.

Edited by aemoreira81

25 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@aemoreira81 Do you mean Richmond Terrace & Jewett or Richmond Terrace & South? South & Jewett are parallel roads that are miles apart.

Yeah, that made me go *huh* also, when I read that..... I just took it to mean that he meant South/Richmond Terr. (since he's listing those turns along the line, going in order from west to east).....