Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

The reason is something the general public would not easily comprehend.

But, if I could possibly provide some input on that situation, there's a fair bit of open runs every day that don't have operators to cover them. Seeing how that was for Sunday, the B37 isn't a very frequent line and there aren't many stand-alone runs for it on weekends, most B37 trips are interlined with either the B63 or B70 instead.

So? Just say "due to operator availability" and most people should understand.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

It would be Gun Hill to have one of the interior information screens to be dangling from the roof of the bus. Why is that depot so ghetto, and why does the MTA allow this to continue? You see nobody talks about LGA and S.Is maintenance anymore, because they've stepped up over the years, whereas KB and Gun Hill haven't and UP is another that's getting worse year by year.

(Its the screen in the front of the bus, you can see at 3:00 in the video). 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

13 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

It would be Gun Hill to have one of the interior information screens to be dangling from the roof of the bus.

Maybe it takes a severe injury along with a lawsuit for the (MTA) to get their act together...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

It would be Gun Hill to have one of the interior information screens to be dangling from the roof of the bus. Why is that depot so ghetto, and why does the MTA allow this to continue? You see nobody talks about LGA and S.Is maintenance anymore, because they've stepped up over the years, whereas KB and Gun Hill haven't and UP is another that's getting worse year by year.

I think that’s actually how they’re placed on this bus model.

26 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Where exactly is it dangling because I checked the whole thing and there wasn't anything wrong with the front display positioning (I checked other Nova videos and photos for reference). And the rear ones are slightly tilted on all Nova Articulated units. It doesn't help that whoever recorded this kept tilting the video.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I think that’s actually how they’re placed on this bus model.

No, only the rear is tilted because of the steps in the rear. 

42 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Where exactly is it dangling because I checked the whole thing and there wasn't anything wrong with the front display positioning (I checked other Nova videos and photos for reference). And the rear ones are slightly tilted on all Nova Articulated units. It doesn't help that whoever recorded this kept tilting the video.

Do you need assistance? Zoom in and look at the first screen towards the front. It's not supposed to be like that. 

This video will show you how the front two screens are supposed to be positioned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeeP15-9112 said:
1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Maybe it takes a severe injury along with a lawsuit for the (MTA) to get their act together...

That would definitely do the trick...

9 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

No, only the rear is tilted because of the steps in the rear. 

Do you need assistance? Zoom in and look at the first screen towards the front. It's not supposed to be like that. 

This video will show you how the front two screens are supposed to be positioned. 

Checked it and yikes, it is dangling (At the 2 minute mark btw. The video shaking did not help make the front view clear). Must of happened while the bus was moving. Although, I would not automatically jump to the whole "Bronx depot is being lazy with maintenece" narrative just yet.

I think I can sort of see it but this is mad difficult to see lol. I tried to zoom in and just got motion sick from it lml.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I doubt it. It is no secret that Buses have faced a high number of retirements and unfortunately the operators lost due to the coronavirus.  On SI for example, there is over supply on the express-side. The SIM4X & SIM8X should have been temporarily discontinued for the time being as both the ETC and SI Mall P&R lots are ghost towns, routes like the SIM 7 & SIM9 should have wider headways. That should have freed up some operators to maintain core routes like the SIM1c and SIM 4c as well as the locals.

20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Yukon's LFSes are AFAIK uncapped for the S79 and S89 and, based on a few rides I've taken, are absolute rockets...

Very few if any are uncapped. The "newer" Cuomo buses have a better pick-up than the regular white and blue buses.

Edited by 161 New York
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 161 New York said:

I doubt it. It is no secret that Buses have faced a high number of retirements and unfortunately the operators lost due to the coronavirus.  On SI for example, there is over supply on the express-side. The SIM4X & SIM8X should have been temporarily discontinued for the time being as both the ETC and SI Mall P&R lots are ghost towns, routes like the SIM 7 & SIM9 should have wider headways. That should have freed up some operators to maintain core routes like the SIM1c and SIM 4c as well as the locals.

Very few if any are uncapped. The "newer" Cuomo buses have a better pick-up than the regular white and blue buses.

I said that last summer but people said its just because they're newer...I refuse to believe that, those buses just straight up have a faster acceleration. The 2015s did not accelerate that fast ever. 

The 2019 LFS are tricky though, at some lights if you step on the gas it accelerates normally. But if you let it roll a bit then hit it, it picks up and really hauls down the street. 

On 7/6/2020 at 12:29 AM, Around the Horn said:

Yukon's LFSes are AFAIK uncapped for the S79 and S89 and, based on a few rides I've taken, are absolute rockets...

If I'm correct, the Yukon units are capped at 45. I rode one on the S89 into Jersey a while back and it capped out at like 45-46

16 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

They did that during the pandemic and people couldn't comprehend that. 

• Thanks 1
  • LMAO! 5
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

They did that during the pandemic and people couldn't comprehend that. 

Those are terms that only NJ Transit customers understand lmao...

• LMAO! 3

Posted (edited)

....and people couldn't comprehend that. 

They didn't want to comprehend it.

They did that during the pandemic....

I said the same thing (to myself).... Using operator unavailability as a reason for delayed service is verbiage/a dumbing down of the message that's been conveyed to the riding public before.... So that nullifies comprehension as a reason for omitting details....

Telling riders that "There is extremely limited B37 bus service in both directions." is pretty insulting..... Quite sure riders standing waiting for buses (or looking on some app or whatever) can see that...... It's like performing a major invasive operation on somebody without putting them to sleep & telling them "this is going to hurt, okay"....

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I said the same thing (to myself).... Using operator unavailability as a reason for delayed service is verbiage/a dumbing down of the message that's been conveyed to the riding public before.... So that nullifies comprehension as a reason for omitting details....

Telling riders that "There is extremely limited B37 bus service in both directions." is pretty insulting..... Quite sure riders standing waiting for buses (or looking on some app or whatever) can see that...... It's like performing a major invasive operation on somebody without putting them to sleep & telling them "this is going to hurt, okay"....

The number of people who have smartphones but don't use them to see what's coming down the line is astounding.

"I've been waiting an hour for the bus!"
"What's going on with the buses?!"

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

The number of people who have smartphones but don't use them to see what's coming down the line is astounding.

"I've been waiting an hour for the bus!"
"What's going on with the buses?!"

Much like people not wanting to comprehend whatever the MTA puts out as a reason for some delay, what you're mentioning here also falls under willful ignorance....

• Upvote 2

I got to ride an 4700 on the B1 today, bus has some power!!! IDK if this bus was like this when when it was in the BX or UP fixed it up, this was easily my best 4700 ride...

Ad announcement: Oatly Milk has returned. 

This time all of Brooklyn Division has front ads. Haven’t seen any from Manhattan also no rear back or driverside wraps for this as of yet. However, forthcoming.  

Picture is from last year. (NOT MY PHOTO). Credit: Medium OOH for the photo. 
50087694936_d8a372cae5_c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

This time all of Brooklyn Division has front ads. Haven’t seen any from Manhattan also no rear back or driverside wraps for this as of yet. However, forthcoming.  

LaGuardia and Casey Stengel have them too on some buses, but they have ads for the other, flavored products.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

LaGuardia has them too on some buses, but they have ads for the other, flavored products.

Correct. I did see some with the East New York, Grand, and Flatbush ones. 

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The point is to let them know that if they have an alternative route available, they should use that. (And if they're checking BusTime and noticing a large gap, that it's not a glitch and there aren't extra ghost buses that are running but not visible). So that way they know before they walk over to 3rd Avenue and can plan accordingly, as opposed to wasting their time and waiting for delayed/missing buses.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The point is to let them know that if they have an alternative route available, they should use that. (And if they're checking BusTime and noticing a large gap, that it's not a glitch and there aren't extra ghost buses that are running but not visible). So that way they know before they walk over to 3rd Avenue and can plan accordingly, as opposed to wasting their time and waiting for delayed/missing buses.

What you're basically saying here is that simply listing the B37 as having a delay, suffices....

Alright, so if that's the case, then they should never give an explanation for any type of service disruption.... Don't tell riders that there's "cars blocking the road on Gerritsen Ave between Avenue W and Gerritsen Beach." as to why B31 service isn't operating normally....

That's not the best of precedents to set & I'm not giving them that pass... If you can be descriptive in giving a reason when it comes to a detour, you can be so for a delay also.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'd rather ads be had for these "oat" products.... Can't find these bad boys anywhere nowadays mad.gif

HXtub5Z.jpg

Edited by B35 via Church
  • LMAO! 1

@B35 via Church I wish they did at least give the reason of lack of operator availability. The way I see it, they should give as much detail as possible in all cases. (The same way it annoys me when the train is stopped because of "train traffic")

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church I wish they did at least give the reason of lack of operator availability. The way I see it, they should give as much detail as possible in all cases. (The same way it annoys me when the train is stopped because of "train traffic")

You know that’s the (MTA). They don’t like giving truthful updates when it comes to bus service.  Transparency went out the window once Byford left.  

• Like 1