BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, 161 New York said:

I doubt it. It is no secret that Buses have faced a high number of retirements and unfortunately the operators lost due to the coronavirus.  On SI for example, there is over supply on the express-side. The SIM4X & SIM8X should have been temporarily discontinued for the time being as both the ETC and SI Mall P&R lots are ghost towns, routes like the SIM 7 & SIM9 should have wider headways. That should have freed up some operators to maintain core routes like the SIM1c and SIM 4c as well as the locals.

Very few if any are uncapped. The "newer" Cuomo buses have a better pick-up than the regular white and blue buses.

I said that last summer but people said its just because they're newer...I refuse to believe that, those buses just straight up have a faster acceleration. The 2015s did not accelerate that fast ever. 

The 2019 LFS are tricky though, at some lights if you step on the gas it accelerates normally. But if you let it roll a bit then hit it, it picks up and really hauls down the street. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/6/2020 at 12:29 AM, Around the Horn said:

Yukon's LFSes are AFAIK uncapped for the S79 and S89 and, based on a few rides I've taken, are absolute rockets...

If I'm correct, the Yukon units are capped at 45. I rode one on the S89 into Jersey a while back and it capped out at like 45-46

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

....and people couldn't comprehend that. 

They didn't want to comprehend it.

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

They did that during the pandemic....

I said the same thing (to myself).... Using operator unavailability as a reason for delayed service is verbiage/a dumbing down of the message that's been conveyed to the riding public before.... So that nullifies comprehension as a reason for omitting details....

Telling riders that "There is extremely limited B37 bus service in both directions." is pretty insulting..... Quite sure riders standing waiting for buses (or looking on some app or whatever) can see that...... It's like performing a major invasive operation on somebody without putting them to sleep & telling them "this is going to hurt, okay"....

Edited by B35 via Church

46 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I said the same thing (to myself).... Using operator unavailability as a reason for delayed service is verbiage/a dumbing down of the message that's been conveyed to the riding public before.... So that nullifies comprehension as a reason for omitting details....

Telling riders that "There is extremely limited B37 bus service in both directions." is pretty insulting..... Quite sure riders standing waiting for buses (or looking on some app or whatever) can see that...... It's like performing a major invasive operation on somebody without putting them to sleep & telling them "this is going to hurt, okay"....

The number of people who have smartphones but don't use them to see what's coming down the line is astounding.

"I've been waiting an hour for the bus!"
"What's going on with the buses?!"

48 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

The number of people who have smartphones but don't use them to see what's coming down the line is astounding.

"I've been waiting an hour for the bus!"
"What's going on with the buses?!"

Much like people not wanting to comprehend whatever the MTA puts out as a reason for some delay, what you're mentioning here also falls under willful ignorance....

Ad announcement: Oatly Milk has returned. 

This time all of Brooklyn Division has front ads. Haven’t seen any from Manhattan also no rear back or driverside wraps for this as of yet. However, forthcoming.  

Picture is from last year. (NOT MY PHOTO). Credit: Medium OOH for the photo. 
50087694936_d8a372cae5_c.jpg

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

This time all of Brooklyn Division has front ads. Haven’t seen any from Manhattan also no rear back or driverside wraps for this as of yet. However, forthcoming.  

LaGuardia and Casey Stengel have them too on some buses, but they have ads for the other, flavored products.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The point is to let them know that if they have an alternative route available, they should use that. (And if they're checking BusTime and noticing a large gap, that it's not a glitch and there aren't extra ghost buses that are running but not visible). So that way they know before they walk over to 3rd Avenue and can plan accordingly, as opposed to wasting their time and waiting for delayed/missing buses.

29 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The point is to let them know that if they have an alternative route available, they should use that. (And if they're checking BusTime and noticing a large gap, that it's not a glitch and there aren't extra ghost buses that are running but not visible). So that way they know before they walk over to 3rd Avenue and can plan accordingly, as opposed to wasting their time and waiting for delayed/missing buses.

What you're basically saying here is that simply listing the B37 as having a delay, suffices....

Alright, so if that's the case, then they should never give an explanation for any type of service disruption.... Don't tell riders that there's "cars blocking the road on Gerritsen Ave between Avenue W and Gerritsen Beach." as to why B31 service isn't operating normally....

That's not the best of precedents to set & I'm not giving them that pass... If you can be descriptive in giving a reason when it comes to a detour, you can be so for a delay also.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'd rather ads be had for these "oat" products.... Can't find these bad boys anywhere nowadays mad.gif

HXtub5Z.jpg

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church I wish they did at least give the reason of lack of operator availability. The way I see it, they should give as much detail as possible in all cases. (The same way it annoys me when the train is stopped because of "train traffic")

You know that’s the (MTA). They don’t like giving truthful updates when it comes to bus service.  Transparency went out the window once Byford left.  

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church I wish they did at least give the reason of lack of operator availability. The way I see it, they should give as much detail as possible in all cases. (The same way it annoys me when the train is stopped because of "train traffic")

Yeah, that's all I'm saying... Even though they don't have to be as technical/descriptive as @SoSpectacular was regarding the B37 (as far as what line is interlined with what & there not being many standalone runs & what not), they can still sum the situation up, similar to the way @Bay Ridge Express did.....

I hate to put it like this, but even though I don't necessarily believe the "train traffic" bit all of the time, it's better off than having a train w/ pax. on it sitting idle in-between 2 stations for minutes on end w/ nothing more than radio silence....

21 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

You know that’s the (MTA). They don’t like giving truthful updates when it comes to bus service.  Transparency went out the window once Byford left.  

The MTA & transparency aren't even in the same building....

Been noticing a lot of windows opened lately on the local/SBS buses. Probably another reason is b.c of the hot temperature since it's summer. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-mta-bus-windows-open-20200707-7gyw3fdcurba5ey3cd67flldri-story.html?fbclid=IwAR17flhawuYRNi1ZmzleMSu07KsM1b1LlIbeEM2wlbhZJ3QYdB_VEK8HhbQ

Edited by Calvin

58 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Been noticing a lot of windows opened lately on the local/SBS buses. Probably another reason is b.c of the hot temperature since it's summer. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-mta-bus-windows-open-20200707-7gyw3fdcurba5ey3cd67flldri-story.html?fbclid=IwAR17flhawuYRNi1ZmzleMSu07KsM1b1LlIbeEM2wlbhZJ3QYdB_VEK8HhbQ

Interesting that the B/Os in the article complain about passengers not wearing masks. About 40% of the B/Os of the buses I've taken don't wear masks

16 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Interesting that the B/Os in the article complain about passengers not wearing masks. About 40% of the B/Os of the buses I've taken don't wear masks

Of the ones that do wear them, it makes you wonder how much of that outrage is being directed at the fellow *brothers* that aren't wearing 'em....

I noticed based on google maps, Apple Maps and the transit app for iPhone it shows the last stop for La Guardia bound Q48 buses as Ditmars Blvd and 102nd street right where the Q23 ends after it goes through the terminals and runs via 23rd Ave. However that cannot be right because I thought La Guardia Airport routes unlike JFK Airport routes just loop around the terminals and head back to their other terminals. Plus people who get on within the airport would be forced to get off and wait before heading back to Flushing.

I wanted to take a M60 or Q69 bus from Astoria to 82nd street to transfer to the Q48 to go back to Flushing since the Q19 still ends too damn early, but I wasn’t sure if I would have to get off because I’ve seen Q48’s buses lay over at 102nd street before.

53 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

For the first time in about a year, I saw a bus with a front Oatly ad. It was #4566 on the B57. Instead of the milk carton, they were advertising their ice cream.

Welcome to the party. They just started releasing those ads on Monday. Went live yesterday So far front ad only. No rear and no driverside wrap for this yet.. I believe the same bus you mention has a driverside wrap. 

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I noticed based on google maps, Apple Maps and the transit app for iPhone it shows the last stop for La Guardia bound Q48 buses as Ditmars Blvd and 102nd street right where the Q23 ends after it goes through the terminals and runs via 23rd Ave. However that cannot be right because I thought La Guardia Airport routes unlike JFK Airport routes just loop around the terminals and head back to their other terminals. Plus people who get on within the airport would be forced to get off and wait before heading back to Flushing.

I wanted to take a M60 or Q69 bus from Astoria to 82nd street to transfer to the Q48 to go back to Flushing since the Q19 still ends too damn early, but I wasn’t sure if I would have to get off because I’ve seen Q48’s buses lay over at 102nd street before.

Those mediums aren't going to discern that Ditmars/102nd on the Q48 [is the last timepoint listed on a WB trip] from [it not being a stop on the route where all passengers must disembark]....

In plain english, you would have been fine taking the M60 or the Q69 to a Flushing bound Q48 without having to get off said Q48 at 102nd (for the same bus, or another bus towards Flushing).... What happens is that the bus simply sits at 102nd (with whatever pax. on board) for however long the layover is scheduled for (and then some, if the bus was running hot (early) up until that point), then departs towards Flushing.... Some b/o's may skip the sitting at 102nd altogether to get a longer break once it hits Main st..... Of course, if they're already running late once hitting 102nd (after having served LGA), then any waiting at that stop is a non-issue - as the recovery time has been evaporated....

Very rarely does a WB Q48 trip (that's already served LGA) dump people off at 102nd to end up DH-ing (wherever), instead of doing that EB trip back to Flushing.... If that were the case, the b/o would not allow for any boardings along 23rd....

18 hours ago, Joshua Duran said:

does anyone know a website where i can search up destination signs or does anyone have a codebook?

Don't have any codebook & I don't know of any site anymore that has updated destination codes on them....

Edited by B35 via Church