Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

There is a 2017 odd numbered XD60 in Staten Island on Richmond Terrace...what could that possibly be for? 

Testing artics in for the North Shore BRT? 

A one-time test on the island along the S40/90, not in service of course. It was testing along the line to see how the artic works with stops and such.

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Meanwhile NJ, CT and PA malls and movie theatres are open 

Movie Theaters aren't open.

• Upvote 1

The trash Laguardia Link XD60 livery has been slightly update (and/or better-installed). Still the same mess at the back with the yellow colors poking through, but a little better on the front and sides.

3 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Question: Do you still have to pay $2.75 to ride on any SBS lines or no?

I think you're still supposed to. This is because although the farebox is inaccessible, the machines are still working and there is no need to access the farebox anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Question: Do you still have to pay $2.75 to ride on any SBS lines or no?

You're supposed to, yes..... I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

A one-time test on the island along the S40/90, not in service of course. It was testing along the line to see how the artic works with stops and such.

One time test means there wasn't much to test. Seems like everything went smooth, but this is definitely something that I don't see happening until September 2021. 

I wonder what's the status with that north shore brt project. 

8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

One time test means there wasn't much to test. Seems like everything went smooth, but this is definitely something that I don't see happening until September 2021. 

I wonder what's the status with that north shore brt project. 

Your first mistake was assuming everything went smooth.

They found a lot of problems with using an Artic along Richmond Terrace, which will have to be corrected by the DOT if they ever choose to run them on the 40/90.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Regarding the S40 and artics---I can probably say where the problems would be:

1. The right turn from South Avenue onto Jewett Avenue
  2. At Jewett Avenue (each direction must make a right turn, and that right turn is already tight for a rigid; even if an LFS articulated bus were to be used, that's still a tight turn).
  3. Just west of Broadway (a tight S curve)
  4. Between Elizabeth and Pelton Avenues (a 90-degree turn diverging off Pelton Place)

That said, an LFS artic should have done the test, as I doubt Staten Island Division will ever see the New Flyer Xcelsior.

I would suggest a different route, calling the S80 instead. It would be as follows:

1. Leaving the ferry, follow the S44 to Henderson and Bement Avenues.
  2. Instead of left onto Bement, continue on Henderson to Broadway.
  3. Left on Broadway, right on Castleton Avenue.
  4. West on Castleton to Port Richmond Avenue, left onto Port Richmond.
  5. South on Port Richmond, right onto Forest Avenue, left onto Richmond Avenue.
  6. South on Richmond Avenue to Victory Boulevard, right onto Victory.
  7. Westbound on Victory to Travis Avenue, right on Travis.
  8. Trips could alternate to either the Teleport (weekdays) or Matrix Park.

The idea of bringing the route down to Victory would be to restore service from that area to The Teleport, The S46 serves the Teleport, but this would save riders on the Richmond Avenue corridor the trouble of needing to go to the Port Richmond Area to reach it. It also would restore a service cut from more than 20 years ago (the S62 used to serve The Teleport part-time after the S112 was realigned).

Also, going south would avoid all the major problems of tight turns to negotiate, as I believe that the problems on central Richmond Terrace cannot really be fixed. There can be a modification to a stop line made on Henderson that could accommodate this route, and not using Bement is intentional. Additionally, the catchment area is increased.

Now, as for stops:

1. St. George Ferry terminal
  2. Richmond Terrace and Jersey Street
  3. Henderson Avenue and Lafayette Street
  4. Henderson and Bard Avenues (short walk to RUMC)
  5. Broadway and Castleton Avenue
  6. Castleton Depot (Jewett Avenue)
  7. Port Richmond and Post Avenues
  8. Forest Avenue and Willowbrook Road/Willow Road East
  9. Forest and Richmond Avenues
  10. Richmond Avenue and Deppe Place
  11. Richmond Avenue and Lamberts Lane
  12. Victory and Richmond
  13. Victory Boulevard and Signs Road
  14. Teleport OR Matrix Park

Such would also make it infinitely easier as this route, the S93 (needing capacity similar to the B1's artic conversion) and the S79 could all be out of Yukon Depot, with the deadhead being from the outbound end via Travis Avenue.

Edited by aemoreira81
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@aemoreira81 Do you mean Richmond Terrace & Jewett or Richmond Terrace & South? South & Jewett are parallel roads that are miles apart.

Yeah, that made me go *huh* also, when I read that..... I just took it to mean that he meant South/Richmond Terr. (since he's listing those turns along the line, going in order from west to east).....

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, that made me go *huh* also, when I read that..... I just took it to mean that he meant South/Richmond Terr. (since he's listing those turns along the line, going in order from west to east).....

Richmond Terrace and South Avenue. That was the first turn as I saw as really difficult on any articulated bus as that's a sharp right. I didn't realize that error. 

So there's a possibility for Artics in SI? From the way it sounded I kinda doubt it happening ngl (at least in that area), unless a route that is on a much wider street in SI gets considered for articulation. 

Kinda suprised the S79 or an SI route on a wider street in the North Shore area wasnt considered first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, B61In2002 said:

So there's a possibility for Artics in SI? From the way it sounded I kinda doubt it happening ngl (at least in that area), unless a route that is on a much wider street in SI gets considered for articulation. 

Kinda suprised the S79 or an SI route on a wider street in the North Shore area wasnt considered first.

Not to mention there’s probably not enough articulated buses in the system to convert another route.

There is no way that artics would work in si, like the tight streets, hell I don't even think any of the depots ok maybe Charleston can take them

3 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

There is no way that artics would work in si, like the tight streets, hell I don't even think any of the depots ok maybe Charleston can take them

They can work, its a matter of where.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I don't understand what is being evaluated when testing artics. The S40/90 route seems fine. Routes like that damn B38 has artics. Literally the streets and turns are so damnn tight compared to Richmond Terr and South Ave in S.I. Also, the turns don't seem to be an issue physically, maybe DOT can readjust some lights and reverse some streets or add some stop here on red markers. But tight streets are the least of my concern. 

The MTA is definitely gonna have artics in S.I by 2022, it's the new normal. So whatever small issues there are, they will be fixed. The S79 and S40/90 should be the only two as of now IMO. 

Just a random thought just got off the SIM33c and it had a pre-pandemic load (around 40 ish people on the bus once it hit the battery tunnel). One lady even went under the chains and sat in the 2nd row). Another thought, by cutting a 3rd of the local buses, buses are getting SRO much faster, which might be dangerous since it’s impossible to social distance.

11 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I don't understand what is being evaluated when testing artics. The S40/90 route seems fine. Routes like that damn B38 has artics. Literally the streets and turns are so damnn tight compared to Richmond Terr and South Ave in S.I. Also, the turns don't seem to be an issue physically, maybe DOT can readjust some lights and reverse some streets or add some stop here on red markers. But tight streets are the least of my concern. 

The MTA is definitely gonna have artics in S.I by 2022, it's the new normal. So whatever small issues there are, they will be fixed. The S79 and S40/90 should be the only two as of now IMO. 

Not if the union has anything to say about that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Just a random thought just got off the SIM33c and it had a pre-pandemic load (around 40 ish people on the bus once it hit the battery tunnel). One lady even went under the chains and sat in the 2nd row). Another thought, by cutting a 3rd of the local buses, buses are getting SRO much faster, which might be dangerous since it’s impossible to social distance.

Depends how you define "dangerous". South Korea & Hong Kong still have relatively high transit ridership, yet low infection rates due to availability of testing (so the right people know to isolate) combined with mask usage. 

• Upvote 2

Rode an Cuomo scheme Nova out of KB today and the A/C barely worked and every window was open on the bus.

Do the Cuomo Nova 40ers in general have crappy A/C or I just got an defective bus? In my experiences of the current fleet the buses with the best A/C are the most recent batch of XD60s we have, most recent batch of XD40s and the Orion NGs.

How's the A/C on those Novas on the SBS routes? I can't recall if I ever rode one during the warm weather months.

I also seen an XD60 on the M60 today, was kinda bummed about that cause I thought about fanning the M60 today, but didn't. Been wanting to ride an XD60 over the triboro.. 

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Rode an Cuomo scheme Nova out of KB today and the A/C barely worked and every window was open on the bus.

Do the Cuomo Nova 40ers in general have crappy A/C or I just got an defective bus? In my experiences of the current fleet the buses with the best A/C are the most recent batch of XD60s we have, most recent batch of XD40s and the Orion NGs.

How's the A/C on those Novas on the SBS routes? I can't recall if I ever rode one during the warm weather months.

I also seen an XD60 on the M60 today, was kinda bummed about that cause I thought about fanning the M60 today, but didn't. Been wanting to ride an XD60 over the triboro.. 

Had that been in Flatbush, ENY or Gleason , the A/C would of been working.  Let that bus stay in The Bronx. Was it 5439 or 5441? 

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

5439 or 5441?

Posted (edited)

The Bronx division has these buses in small amounts: 

- Kingsbridge's Artic fleet is all Nova's but only 2 are ex. SBS units with the blue/gold wrap.

- Gun Hill has 5 XD-60s left but, it can change to whether or not they'll move. 

- With West Farms, there's 6 XD-40s. 

Edited by Calvin

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Had that been in Flatbush, ENY or Gleason , the A/C would of been working.  Let that bus stay in The Bronx. Was it 5439 or 5441? 

4 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

5439 or 5441?

He said 40fter, so it was one of the 2019 LFS, which have pretty decent A/C. But @trainfan22, the windows were OPEN, and today the humidity outside was high, so it was fighting the A/C and the air wasn't able to get down and circulate well. That can happen on any bus. 

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Not if the union has anything to say about that. 

The union can only do but so much, especially when the ridership demands it. Unions fought CBTC in the subways, and now look...

Unions can be good, but they tend to be stuck in the past and fail to modernize, some things just require upgrades, it's a part of life. 

44 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

C40s have good A/C also 

• Upvote 3