BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bus routes under the el with a squared bus stop outside the curb:  the B1 around 86 St, Bx39- White Plains RD, Bx32- Jerome Av, Bx9- W. Broadway and Bx4/A- Westchester Av. Any more routes w/ streets that adds on to it?

Edited by Calvin

3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

“Five bus routes were detoured late last month after seven incidents over the course of nine days in which an individual vandalized buses in customer service in the Broad Street/Tomkins Avenue area, including a bus operator being injured on June 25 due to a trash can being thrown at his bus,” according to an MTA spokesman.

“Why should an entire community suffer because one person did something that was wrong? Because that’s exactly what is happening right now and it’s been going on for over a month,” he added.

I would stop my restaurant from delivering orders to a particular locale if my delivery boys were attacked multiple times in the same area. Common sense.

55 minutes ago, CenSin said:

The reroute was terrible with communication but at the same time they lost me when Buford said "there are plenty of stories where people assault subway conductors, maybe on 34th Street, for example. They don’t just stop running the trains on 34th Street because of that, the subways continue".

Yes because the trains definitely continue to operate when you assault an MTA employee that is operating your train.

17 hours ago, Calvin said:

Bus routes under the el with a squared bus stop outside the curb:  the B1 around 86 St, Bx39- White Plains RD, Bx32- Jerome Av, Bx9- W. Broadway and Bx4/A- Westchester Av. Any more routes w/ streets that adds on to it?

You mean the ones that have a picture of a bus stop pole to represent the bus stop?

The Q102 along 31st st (Astoria line) & the Bx19 along Southern (portion under the (2)) also has those type of bus stops....

17 hours ago, Deucey said:

Seen on an S42 tonight:

000-D6289-8-AAC-4-E7-E-8-A59-C01-E58-C03

Wrong route, right end terminal?? Damn, that's bad....

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The reroute was terrible with communication but at the same time they lost me when Buford said "there are plenty of stories where people assault subway conductors, maybe on 34th Street, for example. They don’t just stop running the trains on 34th Street because of that, the subways continue".

Yes because the trains definitely continue to operate when you assault an MTA employee that is operating your train.

By his stupid logic, the buses that are being detoured aren't ceased from running either....

The part of the article that stood out to me was the part about working with the NYPD & local officials to remedy this issue..... I'd like to know how close to 100% of the work is on Cipriano & the MTA's end of the ordeal, because if NYPD was remotely serious about sniping this jackass rectifying this matter, this wouldn't have been lingering on for a month.....

19 hours ago, Deucey said:

Seen on an S42 tonight:

000-D6289-8-AAC-4-E7-E-8-A59-C01-E58-C03

Maybe it has to do with internal designations. On the MTA website you can find the summary of planned changes from the 2010 service cuts and the S42 route designation was supposed to be fully eliminated. It was supposed to originally be replaced by S52 trips, meaning the S52 would operate between St. George Ferry Terminal and South Beach or New Brighton (Weekdays only). Maybe they internally consider the S42 to be a branch of the S52. 

44 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Deucey @B35 via Church @jaf0519 I mean internally they call it the S42/52 (you can hear it on the radio) and schedule them as one route, so I can see how they wrote it that way.

Yeah, that much I got....

From a programming perspective however.... still, yikes.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Deucey @B35 via Church @jaf0519 I mean internally they call it the S42/52 (you can hear it on the radio) and schedule them as one route, so I can see how they wrote it that way.

During Essential Service they’d have two S52 buses leave the ferry - one to SI Hospital and one that short-turned somewhere near Cebra Av. Could’ve been that it ran the S42 route - although I don’t remember seeing that in the destination sign then.

50 minutes ago, Deucey said:

During Essential Service they’d have two S52 buses leave the ferry - one to SI Hospital and one that short-turned somewhere near Cebra Av. Could’ve been that it ran the S42 route - although I don’t remember seeing that in the destination sign then.

The S52 short turns over there on Jersey/Castleton & there is a destination code for it too....

IDRC if they internally have the S42 & the S52 as one route, having buses operating as S42's display the S52 map/routing information, while denoting the S42 terminal location is plain old, ordinary embarrassing (and that's putting it mildly)....

@Deucey The S42 was officially suspended during the Essential Service plan.

@B35 via Church The destination sign says Jersey & Castleton but I think they actually terminate at Canal & Wright in Stapleton. (There's some AM put-ins on the weekends there heading towards St. George so logically they would end there going the other way). I remember tracking one of those buses and on BusTime after Jersey & Castleton I think it showed the next stop for that bus as Canal & Wright (or something odd that I remember scratching my head over)

5 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church The destination sign says Jersey & Castleton but I think they actually terminate at Canal & Wright in Stapleton. (There's some AM put-ins on the weekends there heading towards St. George so logically they would end there going the other way). I remember tracking one of those buses and on BusTime after Jersey & Castleton I think it showed the next stop for that bus as Canal & Wright (or something odd that I remember scratching my head over)

So they extended them over time then.... Buses actually used to end over there some time ago (back when the S42 had trips that ended at Brighton/Castleton) & I never understood it... Over there around that sanitation facility...

Anywhere around that park is a hell of a lot better than Jersey & Castleton.

=============

For the hell of it, I just checked rideschedules & they those short turns end at Beach/Union.....

I wonder how long 34th street by 3rd Ave in the city will remain closed from that building collapse. The exp reroutes from the QMT are so random. Some buses go up to 37th street while others go down to 30th (or 31st, I forget which goes westbound). Very annoying to have that tunnel access street closed for so long

@B35 via Church Brighton & Castleton is where I.S. 61 is, and they've had trippers there for a while (in 2010 they cut the S42 trips that ran to Forest & Havenwood. Not sure if at the time they had trippers on top of that)

As for Jersey & Castleton I don't think it's terrible from a ridership perspective (although I do agree Stapleton is better). If you live on Ward Hill/Stapleton Heights, it's a lot quicker to take one of the Victory Blvd routes over to Cebra Avenue and walk up the hill than it is to wait for the S52 to loop around all of St. George & New Brighton (and that's part of the reason the Victory & Cebra stop is so busy). You serve the parts of St. George & New Brighton that are further from Richmond Terrace or Victory Blvd and then when you're done you have a quick deadhead back to St. George, or over to Castleton. 

On an unrelated side note, when the S60 was combined into the S66, one of the things they did for the Petrides kids is have an S66 that starts at Clove & Niagara, loops around Milford Drive to serve Petrides and then continues to St. George. In the afternoon they have some S78 trippers to Tottenville and some S53 trippers to Port Richmond (not sure what the setup was for PM service back when the S60 existed. I doubt they had anything extra in the AM)

@Deucey I'm saying I doubt those went up to anywhere along the S42 route. Either Jersey & Castleton or Beach & Union would've been the terminal.

@QM1to6Ave Remember in Manhattan, generally "evens go east"

Edited by checkmatechamp13

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church Brighton & Castleton is where I.S. 61 is, and they've had trippers there for a while (in 2010 they cut the S42 trips that ran to Forest & Havenwood. Not sure if at the time they had trippers on top of that)

As for Jersey & Castleton I don't think it's terrible from a ridership perspective (although I do agree Stapleton is better). If you live on Ward Hill/Stapleton Heights, it's a lot quicker to take one of the Victory Blvd routes over to Cebra Avenue and walk up the hill than it is to wait for the S52 to loop around all of St. George & New Brighton (and that's part of the reason the Victory & Cebra stop is so busy). You serve the parts of St. George & New Brighton that are further from Richmond Terrace or Victory Blvd and then when you're done you have a quick deadhead back to St. George, or over to Castleton. 

On an unrelated side note, when the S60 was combined into the S66, one of the things they did for the Petrides kids is have an S66 that starts at Clove & Niagara, loops around Milford Drive to serve Petrides and then continues to St. George. In the afternoon they have some S78 trippers to Tottenville and some S53 trippers to Port Richmond (not sure what the setup was for PM service back when the S60 existed. I doubt they had anything extra in the AM)

I was actually talking about those part time trips that got cut in 2010, not the school trippers... The timetables showed them as running down to Forest, but I never took one that actually went down to Forest....

Speaking of trippers, I really would like to start compiling a list of every route that has a school tripper (and what school that tripper is for).... We got lists for a lot of other things around these parts....

Edited by B35 via Church

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Deucey The S42 was officially suspended during the Essential Service plan.

@B35 via Church The destination sign says Jersey & Castleton but I think they actually terminate at Canal & Wright in Stapleton. (There's some AM put-ins on the weekends there heading towards St. George so logically they would end there going the other way). I remember tracking one of those buses and on BusTime after Jersey & Castleton I think it showed the next stop for that bus as Canal & Wright (or something odd that I remember scratching my head over)

The last stop is Castleton Ave & Cebra. Then the bus continues down Castleton to deadhead. 

27 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's only two DeKalb Ave bound B46s on the entire route, never thought I'd see the limited/SBS B46 only have two buses in one direction in the middle of the afternoon ..

EDIT: Misread what you wrote for a minute there, makes sense now.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Now there's seven buses on route. I don't see any relevant detour info, so that's a bit strange. Perhaps it could have been an earlier issue on BusTime's end or something.

There's 7 total SBS' in service right now, but 3 NB buses (2 bunched at Beverly & 1 at Maple right as I'm typing this)....

He was only referring to NB service.

Edited by B35 via Church

11 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

There's 7 total SBS' in service right now, but 3 NB buses (2 bunched at Beverly & 1 at Maple right as I'm typing this)....

He was only referring to NB service.

Yeah okay, I misread it thinking only two were on the entire line (in both directions).

In any case, there's two buses at Kings Plaza, and one bus is at Atlantic, so in a while, the that number will flip. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

15 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Deucey I'm saying I doubt those went up to anywhere along the S42 route. Either Jersey & Castleton or Beach & Union would've been the terminal.

@QM1to6Ave Remember in Manhattan, generally "evens go east"

Oh man, how have I lived this long without knowing that trick LOL!? This is a game-changer

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

IDRC if they internally have the S42 & the S52 as one route, having buses operating as S42's display the S52 map/routing information, while denoting the S42 terminal location is plain old, ordinary embarrassing (and that's putting it mildly)....

As much as I understand the reasons why such a slip up could occur, I have to agree with this take. It's sloppy and it just shows that they don't proofread these things.