BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

39th av in Flushing where q13, q16 & q28 arrive is getting worse everyday, nobody stops at the stop signs, cars go over the double yellow and leave the q 17 & q27 who are trying to turn around buried and even worse the q28, q16 & q 13 are trying to turn around and are also buried, people walk in middle of the street cross in front of buses,.My sister waited 45 minutes yesterday for a q13 bus, the line started at bus stop pole & went way past the q16 stop and past the bank parking enteance, and to make matters worse when the q13 came the bus filled up and left, people wouldn't let bus driver close the door. She asked q13 driver what delay was he was a nice man and told her once he turned from union st to 37ave the whole turn around took him 20 minutes to complete. 39th ave is a big mess now everyday, Bus stop pole says q13 comes every 5 minutes it doesn't look like this.

What do buses usually do at Zerega? MTA Bus has about 10 buses that are blackbacks though.

There's more than 10 at MTA Bus, but that's besides the point.

Zerega is a Central Maintenance Facility. Buses that go there get some extensive work done (engine overhauls and such, but it's not always the case). In the case of new buses, it can sometimes be a sign that a pending order is on the way.

Edited by Cait Sith

NovaBus has a capacity problem. The LFS buses barely have any standing room. I was once on a Q46 where only 5 people were standing and the bus felt packed given a couple of them had heavy bags that took up space in the aisle. Also the LSFA gets cramped much quicker than the D60HF and the use of it on the SBS routes has to a degree added to the issues of overcrowding they already faced. I would buy buses that maximize standing room given thats what we need and NovaBus has not been good in that regard.

NovaBus has a capacity problem. The LFS buses barely have any standing room. I was once on a Q46 where only 5 people were standing and the bus felt packed given a couple of them had heavy bags that took up space in the aisle. Also the LSFA gets cramped much quicker than the D60HF and the use of it on the SBS routes has to a degree added to the issues of overcrowding they already faced. I would buy buses that maximize standing room given thats what we need and NovaBus has not been good in that regard.

That was a principal complaint when they first debuted on Staten Island.  Felt and looked small...

I have bad luck trying to catch a new XD40. I see them on the Q56 all day long and when I take the Q56 I always catch an RTS or Orion VII.

hmpf... On the 56, there were three in a row heading toward B'way Junction tonight as I was waiting for the B12....

Hell, the B12 I took tonight was an XD40 :D ... Got the best seat (legroom-wise) in the house too

(that first set of paired seating on the left hand side, just past the back door)

In the morning (~5am), I always end up catching an RTS or an O7 (more often than not, it's the (O7's) on the Alabama av bound B12....

Meanwhile, Ocean av bound buses (plural) are almost always XD40's....

Edited by B35 via Church

The two pairs of paired seats on the right hand side of the XD60's between the "accordion" and the rear door have the best legroom of all IMO, probably better than the best legroom on a jetBlue plane.

Those LFSA's also need a new rear door mechanism since B/O's sometimes will start closing up the rear doors on people while they're still getting on and off. Next thing you know it takes an extra 2-3 seconds per person to get on and off the bus using the rear doors since they have to forcefully hold the door open. The XD60's don't have that problem either.

The two pairs of paired seats on the right hand side of the XD60's between the "accordion" and the rear door have the best legroom of all IMO, probably better than the best legroom on a jetBlue plane.

Those LFSA's also need a new rear door mechanism since B/O's sometimes will start closing up the rear doors on people while they're still getting on and off. Next thing you know it takes an extra 2-3 seconds per person to get on and off the bus using the rear doors since they have to forcefully hold the door open. The XD60's don't have that problem either.

SMH at all the times the doors have shut in my face trying to get off of the Bx12 especially at the Baychester Av dropoff stop where most of the riders use the middle and rear doors with operators having trouble seeing how many people are trying to exit the bus. I remember a trip where riders were trying to cram on like sardines at Fordham/Valentine going eastbound and after a while the door was just shutting on people (justified given that the bus didn't have much room for more riders). However, they were still forcing their way on. It got to a point where the dwell was almost 4 minutes at stop alone. We got to Fordham Plaza and the same scene repeated itself. To say the buses are as crowded as they are on this route I don't find much issue with it really and I was LMAO during this episode. 

Is the MTA starting to get pissed at Nova for only delivering 1 LFS while almost all the New Flyers are here? Are we gonna ses something like when Orion had to give us free buses?

From what I hear, they've been cooperating with Nova Bus with the issues pertaining to the order. Our order aint the only one being delayed, TTC's new order is delayed as they also only have one on their property(they're behind us) and CTA is not far behind with their units.

1. Comparing a low floor bus to a high floor bus does not work. Compare a low floor with a low floor. You're basically comparing apples to oranges.

2. The new LFSs will have a better arrangement that calls for better rear spacing as well. The transverse seating is gone(thank god). The XD40s aren't all that much better with standing room either. Between all of the low floor buses we've ordered, I think the Orion NG Hybrids have the best overall arrangement.