BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

From what I hear, they've been cooperating with Nova Bus with the issues pertaining to the order. Our order aint the only one being delayed, TTC's new order is delayed as they also only have one on their property(they're behind us) and CTA is not far behind with their units.

1. Comparing a low floor bus to a high floor bus does not work. Compare a low floor with a low floor. You're basically comparing apples to oranges.

2. The new LFSs will have a better arrangement that calls for better rear spacing as well. The transverse seating is gone(thank god). The XD40s aren't all that much better with standing room either. Between all of the low floor buses we've ordered, I think the Orion NG Hybrids have the best overall arrangement.

I agree the Orion VII's have the most spacious room out of all the low floor buses we currently have. Orion buses are big buses. The Novabus LFS and New Flyer make their buses more smaller and compact. I just wish the MTA would make up their mind with the high floor part of the bus and have all low floor buses configured like the 2002-2006 Orion VII and New Flyer C40LF's.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree the Orion VII's have the most spacious room out of all the low floor buses we currently have. Orion buses are big buses. The Novabus LFS and New Flyer make their buses more smaller and compact. I just wish the MTA would make up their mind with the high floor part of the bus and have all low floor buses configured like the 2002-2006 Orion VII and New Flyer C40LF's.

They're all the same length at 40 feet, so they are all big buses by default. It's how they're built, since they're all built differently. 

Seems to be more of a spacing issue. Nova's LFS has the idiotic wheelbase length that renders the interior fundamentally f**ked in terms of space. New Flyer has for some reason decided that less standing room and one less seat in the lower deck for the X's is an improvement over the LF and LFR models. Orion VIIs and NFI's LF/LFRs were much better with interior spacing. Unfortunately, the half-assed design Novas and XD40s is all the MTA gets to choose from.

Seems to be more of a spacing issue. Nova's LFS has the idiotic wheelbase length that renders the interior fundamentally f**ked in terms of space. New Flyer has for some reason decided that less standing room and one less seat in the lower deck for the X's is an improvement over the LF and LFR models. Orion VIIs and NFI's LF/LFRs were much better with interior spacing. Unfortunately, the half-assed design Novas and XD40s is all the MTA gets to choose from.

Orion VIIs? Better interior spacing?? Where did you get that from? Those buses are actually some of the WORST.  There is really nowhere to stand without being in the way.

The only difference in spacing I see in the Orion VII buses are vertical. Most buses (and all TA buses) are the same width, but I feel like the O7's have more head room in the low floor section if anything.

In something unrelated, I saw a paper poster somewhere on the rear section 5798 (I think) saying "2015 phase" or something of the sort, I'm guessing it's referencing some kind of modification that bus got recently.

It's not as often as the Bx7, but the Bx10 sees artics every once and a while.

During the rush hour?  Interesting. I have yet to see one. What I do still see is Bx10's running through Riverdale in packs.  I rarely use the local buses in Riverdale (maybe a twice a year if that lol) to get to Metro-North if I take it on weekends and don't want to walk.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That's odd, I've been around the Bx10 route a lot even during the rush...never seen an artic.

It doesn't happen every day from what I've seen. It's like one day the Bx10 sees an artic, and it would be weeks, maybe months before I see another one on the Bx10.

And there's not a lot of artics on the Bx10, it's usually 1 or 2 put out.

It's gotten so bad that's Jamaica parks their buses on Liberty by York College? South Road was understandable but still

Yeah, it's crazy where buses are being parked for JAM buses.... I see this firsthand when I'm on the LIRR in the morning.

During the rush hour?  Interesting. I have yet to see one. What I do still see is Bx10's running through Riverdale in packs.  I rarely use the local buses in Riverdale (maybe a twice a year if that lol) to get to Metro-North if I take it on weekends and don't want to walk.

That's odd, I've been around the Bx10 route a lot even during the rush...never seen an artic.

I didn't know they still did that on the Bx10.... 

I've been on an artic Bx10 twice, and seen 'em about 2-3 other times (when I did not need it)....

When I rode em, it was back in like 2012.... The latest I seen one (of which I didn't board) was sometime last year...

But yeah, the first time I boarded one was at 205th (D); was shocked to even see an artic over there - even moreso when ole girl turned on the destination sign & it read Bx10.... Shrugged my shoulders & said (to myself) whatever, and just boarded the MF-er..... I was curious to see how the curves on her over at Spuyten Duyvil would be handled, and it was pretty much done so with ease (I was heading towards Riverdale, rode it from end to end).....

The second time I was over at Bedford Park (4), and TBH, it was the butt-end of a fantrip, so I took the first bus that pulled up on wheels... happened to be an artic Bx10.... only rode that to the 231st (1), where I then took the subway ((1) to the (2)) home.....

Figures there would be a detour on the Bx24 and there isn't a peep about it on the MTA website.

What was it due to?

What was it due to?

A car jumped the curb and hit a family eating in a restaurant by Pelham Bay... NYPD closed off that part of Westchester Avenue while they were investigating.

Edit: Turns out one of the victims died, RIP.

Edited by paulrivera

A car jumped the curb and hit a family eating in a restaurant by Pelham Bay... NYPD closed off that part of Westchester Avenue while they were investigating.

Edit: Turns out one of the victims died, RIP.

It was a young boy on top of that....So Sad...Then the driver left the scene 70 year old man...Thats unheard of 

I didn't know they still did that on the Bx10.... 

I've been on an artic Bx10 twice, and seen 'em about 2-3 other times (when I did not need it)....

When I rode em, it was back in like 2012.... The latest I seen one (of which I didn't board) was sometime last year...

But yeah, the first time I boarded one was at 205th (D); was shocked to even see an artic over there - even moreso when ole girl turned on the destination sign & it read Bx10.... Shrugged my shoulders & said (to myself) whatever, and just boarded the MF-er..... I was curious to see how the curves on her over at Spuyten Duyvil would be handled, and it was pretty much done so with ease (I was heading towards Riverdale, rode it from end to end).....

The second time I was over at Bedford Park (4), and TBH, it was the butt-end of a fantrip, so I took the first bus that pulled up on wheels... happened to be an artic Bx10.... only rode that to the 231st (1), where I then took the subway ( (1) to the (2)) home.....

What I have seen twice now are buses stuck (literally) on the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road. Got off at 239th on the BxM18 Northbound a while ago and looked across the parkway and there was a major backup.  Apparently one Orion broke down and there were two express buses (BxM1 and BxM2), and a Hudson Rail Link shuttle bus stuck behind it Southbound along with other vehicles.  The turns that are the biggest PITA are the one coming off of Henry Hudson Parkway West and Independence where buses come around on Kappock.  We once got stuck for almost 20 minutes on a Southbound BxM2.  Some jerk parked there with his truck by that co-op building and the B/O had to get out and alert someone to have that guy come down and move the truck.  The other ones are heading Northbound off of Kappock and turning onto Henry Hudson Parkway East, and the one coming off of Kappock and onto Johnson.

I don't know if the UPS, Fed-Ex and Fresh Direct trucks are given a heads up or what but if they park their truck on either side of the Parkway and don't park on the sidewalk, it creates a backup on another level.  The service roads are just too narrow.  A few months ago during the winter a BxM1 got stuck on a snow bank a crater or something between at 235th and Henry Hudson Parkway West.  I got off of the bus to help direct the guy all the way back to 236th, got back on and he went up 236th and took Independence over to 232nd.  It was really a mess.  Buses were on detour for almost two weeks during that time, provided that they knew about that crater problem, which meant that some buses did the detour via Independence from 239th, and others went the regular way.

I just saw 4884 NIS on Grand Street near the (L) Grand Street station. It made stops on the Q54/59 on Grand street. Is Grand Avenue/Fresh pond testing these units out or UP just decided to send it out for something like a loan or repaint?

It's getting a repaint heading back to Ulmer Park