BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

What is going on over there @ Kings Plaza? What are they renovating now?!?? The B46SBS has its own lane, the B41 local, B41SBS, the B46 local share a bus stop, and the B2 & B9 has been kicked out of Kings Plaza to pick up pax over there by the Q35 stop.....

Also, when did they tear down the toll booths for the Gil Hodges???

As for the 44/46 SBS, only reason why its bad is because of the decrease in stops right? If they both would've kept their original Limited stops then it would've been much better?

It's the adverse effects that SBS creates, moreso than the actual rides on the things themselves (although w/ the B44 inparticular, the fact that they had to run buses on Rogers I'll never be fond of).... Stop selection isn't as major an issue I have w/ the service, as much as it is that local service automatically has to be decreased in some shape or form to make SBS appear as if it's better than LTD service was.... A trick that would make David Blaine jealous......

I pointed it out in another post that it's not that SBS is that much faster than LTD service, it is that they're much more frequent than local service..... On the B44/B46, local service doesn't come close to a 1:1 ratio to its SBS (non) counter-part... There's been a couple people & posts in the past (myself included) where you had folks professing that locals & LTD's more or less came at the same rate (paraphrasing).....

The over advertising of the service, coupled with the embellishing its successes, doesn't help matters either....

On the B46, ppl seeking Woodhull were screwed & on the B44, ppl. seeking Kings County were screwed; no SBS service for those folks.... Think about when they (foolishly) cut back service on the B4; where did they truncate service to? You have routes that divert to run inside hospital property, but yet we have two of the most utilized routes in all of Brooklyn, in all of the city FWIW, that doesn't benefit from the greatness of that which is called Select Bus Service....

By a longshot, it isn't just the decrease in stops, bro.....

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On topic of the B46, I feel the local has had poor service. As everyone else agrees on here.

I'm not sure why MTA doesn't have scheduled Local trips to Dekalb. At least during the Rush hours.

We all know most buses get stuck north of Dekalb. But there really needs to be something implemented in the schedules.

If they have seen that most buses don't get to, or leave WBP on time , there should be some accommodation made.

We had a wildcat waiting at dekalb northbound during the AM rush.

It would just be on standby in case a bus needed to be turned... And he would take on those passengers and take them the rest of the way up to Broadway.

Unfortunately it was cancelled.

Either way. Rush hours definitely need the scheduled short trips to Dekalb. Specifically the PM rush.

Hopefully MTA has plans for that.

What is going on over there @ Kings Plaza? What are they renovating now?!?? The B46SBS has its own lane, the B41 local, B41SBS, the B46 local share a bus stop, and the B2 & B9 has been kicked out of Kings Plaza to pick up pax over there by the Q35 stop.....

Also, when did they tear down the toll booths for the Gil Hodges???

The Sears in Kings Plaza closed, IDK what they are putting in its place though.

They removed the toll booths in March. They have a camera that reads cars licence plates and sends them the toll fare in the mail.

Anyone know of updates to the plan to add WiFi to express buses? No CP bus I've ridden has had WiFi, and only about a quarter have the USB ports. I thought the plan was to have all the buses fitted with WiFi and USB's by December, and we are practically in June already...they were installing USB's quickly for a while, but that seems to have fallen off.

I do see that a lot of the Prevosts have stickers saying they have WiFi and USB's installed already.

The Whitestone bridge sucks now, what the f*** type of construction are they doing s/b? I remembered there was a time when buses could weave in and out of traffic and go thru the toll in 2 min, now it takes 10 min and they still have to weave in and out but at a much slower pace, what's wring with setting up one lane just for buses to fly thru? whats with all those school buses on the service road blocking 1 out of 2 lanes. I can see they took my idea about parking their school buses in the Home Depot parking lot but its not doing too much because they pull out to early thus blcoking traffic again. Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Anyone know of updates to the plan to add WiFi to express buses? No CP bus I've ridden has had WiFi, and only about a quarter have the USB ports. I thought the plan was to have all the buses fitted with WiFi and USB's by December, and we are practically in June already...they were installing USB's quickly for a while, but that seems to have fallen off.

I do see that a lot of the Prevosts have stickers saying they have WiFi and USB's installed already.

No change. It's still December. Buses will be rotated out to ZA for upgrades.

Very few have USB plugs out of Yonkers, and none of them have WiFi. It seems like Eastchester has a ton of their buses done.  Every time I take the BxM6 I get a bus with WiFi and USB ports.  It may have something to do with them doing the newer buses first and perhaps not bothering with the older ones that will be retired in a few years.  

Very few have USB plugs out of Yonkers, and none of them have WiFi. It seems like Eastchester has a ton of their buses done. Every time I take the BxM6 I get a bus with WiFi and USB ports. It may have something to do with them doing the newer buses first and perhaps not bothering with the older ones that will be retired in a few years.

All of Staten Island's Prevost along with Ulmer Park have WiFi and USB ports. Idk about the MCIs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No change. It's still December. Buses will be rotated out to ZA for upgrades.

Thanks!

Very few have USB plugs out of Yonkers, and none of them have WiFi. It seems like Eastchester has a ton of their buses done.  Every time I take the BxM6 I get a bus with WiFi and USB ports.  It may have something to do with them doing the newer buses first and perhaps not bothering with the older ones that will be retired in a few years.  

Interesting. Going with what East New York posted, I guess the CP and Yonkers buses are mostly at the bottom of the list to go out to ZA for upgrades

I find it interesting how Gun Hill seems to try so hard to keep 5771-5786 (the buses they got from Kingsbridge) on the Bx41 and the rest of the SBS wrapped buses (the ones they always had) on the Bx12.

There are a few outliers (like having 5306 on the Bx41 and 5773 on the Bx12) but more often than not they keep the ex-KB units on the ex-KB route for some reason.