BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I proposed a similar plan to them at an (MTA) Board meeting I spoke at years ago.  However, I think this S83 makes far too many stops. I'd cut more stops for sure after Forest and Broadway.  I'd do the following:

-Clove Road and Victory

-Clove Rd/Richmond Rd

-Narrows Rd S/Targee St

-Narrows Rd S/Hylan Bl

-Narrows Rd S/Fingerboard Rd

-92 St/Gatling Pl

-86 St/Ft Hamilton Py

-86 St/5 Av

-4 Av/87 St

So you have stops over a mile apart between Forest Avenue & Victory Blvd, but yet two stops right next to each other at Targee and at Richmond Road?

If anything, I would combine them (have the stop be between Targee & Richmond in both directions), and at the minimum, add a stop at Bard Avenue. I would actually tend to agree with having it make all stops north of Victory, with the condition that the stops are spaced further apart in general. (The stop at Raleigh Avenue is so annoying.  Either the person ringing the bell meant to ring for Forest, or they were too lazy to just walk from Forest or the YMCA stop.

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The only thing is that I wanted to give the stop near Wagner College and the Fountains Apartments some LTD bus service.

Howard Avenue is currently a limited stop (and should continue to be served by both a limited bus from Port Richmond and a limited bus from the Victory Blvd corridor)

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The S83 should make the same stops as the S93 north of Victory, otherwise it isn't a limited stop service. If people scream and yell maybe you add a stop or two max.

The S93 branches off from the S53 north of Victory. It's impossible for a limited-stop version of the S53 to make the same stops north of that point.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So you have stops over a mile apart between Forest Avenue & Victory Blvd, but yet two stops right next to each other at Targee and at Richmond Road?

If anything, I would combine them (have the stop be between Targee & Richmond in both directions), and at the minimum, add a stop at Bard Avenue. I would actually tend to agree with having it make all stops north of Victory, with the condition that the stops are spaced further apart in general. (The stop at Raleigh Avenue is so annoying.  Either the person ringing the bell meant to ring for Forest, or they were too lazy to just walk from Forest or the YMCA stop.

Howard Avenue is currently a limited stop (and should continue to be served by both a limited bus from Port Richmond and a limited bus from the Victory Blvd corridor)

The S93 branches off from the S53 north of Victory. It's impossible for a limited-stop version of the S53 to make the same stops north of that point.

Says who? I think the S53 spends too much meandering through South Beach and I wouldn't have the S83 making those stops. Let it follow the S93.

10 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

6126 has announcements. Go look for that one.

By the way it seems like 6126 went with a different vendor. Has new black screens and a different style of announcements. And a bit of lag in them too.

This might be the company that put the screens on the NGs.

So long as it isn't blaring those annoying service alerts every 5 minutes or so like on the C40LF's (I'm looking at you Luminator), then it's very likely Clever Devices. Another way to tell is if the "Please Exit Through the Rear Doors" announcement is still the same human voice from since the delivery of the NGs rather than text-to-speech as heard in the incoming buses that have the White-Grey framed screens (Vianova).

5 hours ago, RTSTdrive said:

So long as it isn't blaring those annoying service alerts every 5 minutes or so like on the C40LF's (I'm looking at you Luminator), then it's very likely Clever Devices. 

This is a Clever Devices screen setup. They don’t say service alerts or list upcoming stops like the c40s. Transfers are announced with the “next stop” announcement when leaving the stop. The when pulling into a stop it’s programmed differently. Say you are pulling into Jewel Avenue, as soon as the doors are triggered to open “Main Street and Jewel Avenue *1-2 second pause* transfer available to Q64 Qm4 and QM44” will play. If you were to pass Jewel Avenue without triggering the doors, no announcement will notify you that you are at the stop. After passing the stop there is a bit of lag but it refreshes and says the next stop. Interesting feature is it shows estimated time to the next stop. I haven’t taken the bus enough to see if the times between stops adjust due to the time of day, based on real time traffic or bustime data, however the times don’t seem that far off. 

37 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

On that note, new SIM signs up at 5th and 32nd if nobody reported.

Interesting.  

Has Quill put up any more bus trailer ads on the XD60’s besides 6115 recently. Hopefully, the ads are either full wrap or partial wrap (driver side) something similar to what SF (Muni) has? 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Interesting.  

Has Quill put up any more bus trailer ads on the XD60’s besides 6115 recently. Hopefully, the ads are either full wrap or partial wrap (driver side) something similar to what SF (Muni) has? 

Do you have a picture of this? I'm just trying to picture what you're describing.

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

And even if they did replace standards with artics (which I don't see happening for the time being), what additional routes, beside the Bx6 (local and SBS), B35, B82 in the future, and some B46 SBS tips, would you convert to artic operations?

For the sake of this question I quoted it here.

But the routes I would convert from my own perspective would be the B41, B46 local, B44 local, B6, and B1.

3 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

For the sake of this question I quoted it here.

But the routes I would convert from my own perspective would be the B41, B46 local, B44 local, B6, and B1.

Thanks for quoting my question from the Fleets and Depots Thread to this thread. How did you do that?

Also, I like your list of routes you would convert to articulated operations. Looks like you picked the ones that have high ridership. There's only one problem: Ulmer Park depot currently cannot maintain articulated buses. How would you propose modifying it for articulated bus compatibility? Also, would you have these route run articulated buses 24-hours a day or just from 5:00 AM to 11:00 PM and have standard 40-foot buses operate along the routes at 30-minute headways?

2 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Thanks for quoting my question from the Fleets and Depots Thread to this thread. How did you do that?

Also, I like your list of routes you would convert to articulated operations. Looks like you picked the ones that have high ridership. There's only one problem: Ulmer Park depot currently cannot maintain articulated buses. How would you propose modifying it for articulated bus compatibility? Also, would you have these route run articulated buses 24-hours a day or just from 5:00 AM to 11:00 PM and have standard 40-foot buses operate along the routes at 30-minute headways?

You click on the little plus sign and when you go to the reply box you click the quite window on your bottom right and it brings whatever you clicked into the response box.

Ulmer Park I know isn't artic ready and it wasn't even on the capital plan to do so but its just a wishful thinking. But I don't think ulmer park even has the space for anything other than what they're carrying unless they can allocate money to build a new depot in brooklyn for operations. But who knows what the future will hold? Not too well verse in headways, deadheads, or whatever all I know is about frequencies. But if anything I think these buses need to scheduled for the time the communities they serve needs them. 

Keep in mind this is starting to go into a proposal discussion so I would continue it the proposal threads.