MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I gotten some Infomation that the MTA has awarded New Flyer for 106 XD60s. It's a little too early to tell, but could this be for the 2018-19 XD60 order, or is it a separate new order?

https://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12427149/new-york-orders-more-buses-from-new-flyer

This news has already been reported. Refer to page 1. This repot is for the additional 53 XD60’s for (MTA) bus Co.  

Edited by Future ENY OP

26 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

7572 (2018 XD40) has a new sign on it... 

It looks like the signs on LA Metro's XN40s but in amber instead of white. Just to get an idea, here's the LA sign:

16522714162_c4c4915e91_b.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Here we go with the damn changes smh....

It's just the Aesys sign, similar to the signs on XD60 #6001

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

That's interesting because the font is exactly the same as the Hanover on the LACMTA XN40s...

The side sign looks exactly the same as the one on #6001:

There was a video of #7572 on YouTube but whoever posted it took it down, but the font and signage is pretty similar to the ones on these. Not to mention that the camera picks up the sign on #7572 in the same way as #6001, with the color flickering from blue to red to green and such.

8 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

In case anyone wants to know(if this has been already posted, ignore this), 23 is no longer in the system and will not test out of Queens. The 90-day testing period is up.

So now for step two, which is to evaluate the bus to see if they will order this one, and hopefully it will. I cannot wait to get into this one

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

ugh... I really don't see the point of that if the whole idea of the new scheme was a "unified" MTA branding.

Since your post is about a bus fleet rather than a bus move, I moved it here to Fleet & Depots.

Maybe they wanted to have the branding on now since the merger won’t be complete for a while. Also, in the Moves and Transfers thread, @East New York said that the NYC Bus Branding looks great on those buses. He also thinks it pairs well with the future branding as well, and has been advocating for all the buses to have the NYC Bus titles (on post number 25453 of Moves and Transfers). However, I  don’t know why they did not go with (MTA) Regional Bus System for their branding for the new buses.

Some moves I would propose for mileage evening, and to standardize fleets:

1. In Staten Island Division, locate all MCIs at either Castleton or Charleston Depot so that parts only have to be stocked at one depot. I'm tempted to say Charleston.

2. To this end, it would require Charleston to give up 23 Prevosts (20 to Castleton, 3 to Yukon) in exchange for 2210-2228 and a swap with QV (see point 3).

3. On the subject of Charleston and the 2200s, the QV MCI D4500CTs likely have much lower mileage than the Charleston MCI D4500CTs. Why not swap those buses (2251-2282) and send 4300-4329 (minus the written-off 4314) back to QV? (These buses were at QV originally, but went to UP and then Charleston...to even it out, QV would get the remaining four 2800s in Staten Island Division to be used strictly as spares for when there are not enough 4300s available for service.

QV gets buses that only require 2 cycles a day and not higher mileage compared to Staten Island requirements, parts for MCIs in Staten Island are only needed at one garage (with a total of 82 buses). I see this as more efficient that stocking parts all over Staten Island Division (Yukon has one MCI, and Castleton has 22 right now).

40 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Since your post is about a bus fleet rather than a bus move, I moved it here to Fleet & Depots.

Maybe they wanted to have the branding on now since the merger won’t be complete for a while. Also, in the Moves and Transfers thread, @East New York said that the NYC Bus Branding looks great on those buses. He also thinks it pairs well with the future branding as well, and has been advocating for all the buses to have the NYC Bus titles (on post number 25453 of Moves and Transfers). However, I  don’t know why they did not go with (MTA) Regional Bus System for their branding for the new buses.

Frankly, I don't see a need for the secondary names to be on the side of the vehicles (and that goes for all of the (MTA) agencies).

Just slap the logo on and be done with it, because while it may look good now, you know that at some point the letters are going to start peeling and you'll have a bunch of "New York City" 's and "ew York City Bu" 's driving around town... Just look at most of the NG's...

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It's no longer a regional bus system now that they no longer have LI Bus. 

Public's branding across the board is New York City Bus now. The only difference is the titles on the buses.  However for official purposed allnaperations are classified NYC Bus. Not Regional Bus. Therefore I think all buses should wear NYC Bus titles. If our buses traveled outside of the city or we still had LIB, then I would say just leave it plain MTA. But all MTA buses are NYC only now.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Frankly, I don't see a need for the secondary names to be on the side of the vehicles (and that goes for all of the (MTA) agencies).

Just slap the logo on and be done with it, because while it may look good now, you know that at some point the letters are going to start peeling and you'll have a bunch of "New York City" 's and "ew York City Bu" 's driving around town... Just look at most of the NG's...

I don't really think that matters. To the public, current branding, and when you call 511 it's all NYC Bus which is the new branding anyway. No matter if it's TA, OA, or BC, it's all NYC Bus. May as well put NYC bus on all the buses. That's how it's always been and I think that small insignificant part of our history should remain.  Of nearly 6000 buses, less than 5% have pealing titles and that doesn't really matter seeing as buses are repainted every few years anyway. 

I think all agency vehicles should remain as MTA NYC Subway, NYC Bus, LIRR, MTNR, B&T. I think just plain old MTA is boring, and apparently so do my colleagues at ENY. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Just my opinion, but I did advocate for it to remain and eventually replace MTA Bus titles as well. By then when the new fareboxes and radios arrive any bus can be loaned to any Depot because they will all have the same system with the same programming for the first time. All destination sign codes are said to be merged together as well.

Edited by East New York

6 hours ago, East New York said:

It's no longer a regional bus system now that they no longer have LI Bus. 

Public's branding across the board is New York City Bus now. The only difference is the titles on the buses.  However for official purposed allnaperations are classified NYC Bus. Not Regional Bus. Therefore I think all buses should wear NYC Bus titles. If our buses traveled outside of the city or we still had LIB, then I would say just leave it plain MTA. But all MTA buses are NYC only now.

I don't really think that matters. To the public, current branding, and when you call 511 it's all NYC Bus which is the new branding anyway. No matter if it's TA, OA, or BC, it's all NYC Bus. May as well put NYC bus on all the buses. That's how it's always been and I think that small insignificant part of our history should remain.  Of nearly 6000 buses, less than 5% have pealing titles and that doesn't really matter seeing as buses are repainted every few years anyway. 

I think all agency vehicles should remain as MTA NYC Subway, NYC Bus, LIRR, MTNR, B&T. I think just plain old MTA is boring, and apparently so do my colleagues at ENY. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Just my opinion, but I did advocate for it to remain and eventually replace MTA Bus titles as well. By then when the new fareboxes and radios arrive any bus can be loaned to any Depot because they will all have the same system with the same programming for the first time. All destination sign codes are said to be merged together as well.

Yes I agree completely. It looks more uniformed and organized when you describe the brand of each system, MTA New York City Subway, MTA New York City Bus, MTA Long Island RailRoad, MTA Metro North RailRoad, MTA Bridges and Tunnels, etc. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888