MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

13 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

SBS is not being phased out. The routes will remain as is. The separate SBS branding (livery and fare machines) is what would (possibly) be phased out and I've been hearing rumors about that for a while now.

Smartcard validators on board buses would replace the fare machines.

Page 28, https://app.box.com/s/js84d12hkx74k3g4j328q0bplnu2iquy

That would only make sense because they want to phase out jobs over time.  No more people having to go around and collect coins from the machines and less upkeep since those SBS style machines won't be needed. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

SBS is not being phased out. The routes will remain as is. The separate SBS branding (livery and fare machines) is what would (possibly) be phased out and I've been hearing rumors about that for a while now.

Smartcard validators on board buses would replace the fare machines.

Page 28, https://app.box.com/s/js84d12hkx74k3g4j328q0bplnu2iquy

This in my honest opinion doesn’t make sense. If sbs isn’t getting phased out then why would that change the livery? Sbs is a different form of service sbs the main component is to pay before you get on. I could see this for local routes but sbs routes is to pay for something different. 

19 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I could see this for local routes but sbs routes is to pay for something different. 

Again, they will be getting rid of paying before you board... Everything (local and select) will have all door boarding with OMNY readers on the buses.

In this case, Select Buses are no longer "special" and are more like a limited bus than something special that needs its own branding, so buses would no longer need the teal wrap but the Select Bus destination signs would still have the blue background. 

EDIT:

You're confusing two different concepts: Select Bus branding (the livery and the concept of paying before you board) and the physical characteristics of an SBS route (ie. less stops, bus lanes, etc). 

The separate SBS branding is what is rumored to be phased out since every bus route would have the same payment method (onboard with OMNY, no more fare machines at stops), however the physical characteristics of the SBS routes (bus lanes and limited stops) would remain. 

Edited by Around the Horn

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Finally. It’s about damn time they put these bad boys on the local services. Now let’s get those artic buses rolling.

You another one. Control your horses kid. Doesn’t mean the 46 will be articulated as of yet. Just wait for confirmation first.

Usually Flatbush ops are very accurate with information which is also cross referenced and verified by mods. However, let’s wait for confirmation first. 

50 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Again, they will be getting rid of paying before you board... Everything (local and select) will have all door boarding with OMNY readers on the buses.

In this case, Select Buses are no longer "special" and are more like a limited bus than something special that needs its own branding, so buses would no longer need the teal wrap but the Select Bus destination signs would still have the blue background. 

EDIT:

You're confusing two different concepts: Select Bus branding (the livery and the concept of paying before you board) and the physical characteristics of an SBS route (ie. less stops, bus lanes, etc). 

The separate SBS branding is what is rumored to be phased out since every bus route would have the same payment method (onboard with OMNY, no more fare machines at stops), however the physical characteristics of the SBS routes (bus lanes and limited stops) would remain. 

SBS will always be in effect. The SBS is a replacement of the “Old Limited” service name. That teal theme will never go away until transit decides to put a new scheme theme and the reasons is, thats how passengers and others can identify thats an limited service bus or special shuttle service buses.

The future of all door on-boarding will be the next phase but SBS will still be around and will be consider as an limited service bus. Sbs will be the new limited name instead of being called limited B41 for example. By the way all Limited service buses will become select.

56 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

EDIT:

Okay, got you. But isn't that just a waste of money? Doesn't the MTA get money for SBS from the government? Why would they now be trying to consolidate sbs and local service when they could have just renamed the limited a head of time? 

1 minute ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

SBS will always be in effect. The SBS is a replacement of the “Old Limited” service name. That teal theme will never go away until transit decides to put a new scheme theme and the reasons is, thats how passengers and others can identify thats an limited service bus or special shuttle service buses.

The future of all door on-boarding will be the next phase but SBS will still be around and will be consider as an limited service bus. Sbs will be the new limited name instead of being called limited B41 for example. By the way all Limited service buses will become select.

I think we should just wait till everything is confirmed by the MTA themselves. At this point we can't be sure whats going to happen with bus service and OMNY is still a ways from being implemented. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

You another one. Control your horses kid. Doesn’t mean the 46 will be articulated as of yet. Just wait for confirmation first.

Usually Flatbush ops are very accurate with information which is also cross referenced and verified by mods. However, let’s wait for confirmation first. 

Sure thing. I was just excited to hear that the XD40s at Flatbush will be unwrapped and put into local service. I took it as a sign that artics will be on their way to finally (partially) convert the B46 SBS into articulated bus operations, which they should've done long ago since as a daily B46 SBS rider, I can tell you that articulated buses are really needed on the line, considering the chronic overcrowding on the northbound trips at the 7:00 AM hour.

FYI, do all the XD40s in this order have the local scheme as the base paint or is it just the 48 buses assigned to Flatbush? I am just asking.

6 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Sure thing. I was just excited to hear that the XD40s at Flatbush will be unwrapped and put into local service. I took it as a sign that artics will be on their way to finally (partially) convert the B46 SBS into articulated bus operations, which they should've done long ago since as a daily B46 SBS rider, I can tell you that articulated buses are really needed on the line, considering the chronic overcrowding on the northbound trips at the 7:00 AM hour.

FYI, do all the XD40s in this order have the local scheme as the base paint or is it just the 48 buses assigned to Flatbush? I am just asking.

I will be honest with you. I’m not 100% sure. I would wait for a FB operator to confirm everything and cross referenced to the mods first. Remember all information is subject to verification before confirmed. 

51 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

By all Limited buses becoming select, does that include ALL the Staten Island Limited routes (I.e, S89, S91, etc)?

On 5/26/2019 at 5:15 PM, Around the Horn said:

EDIT:

I believe and its just my hunch ... MTA is trying to do away with cash/coin fares on board at all ... Just like the Express Buses now.. Tap payments (OMNY/Credit/Debit) will be the ONLY way to ride MTA, and board (LOCAL LIMITED SBS) at any door.  I do see a big policial fight brewing behind loss of Coins payments system wide, but the MTA I think would have the upper hand, they can then claim it would reduce Fare Beating because the Eagle team could be dispersed across the system, and threat of Eagle Teams dissuade Fare Beating, something like that.  

4 minutes ago, Lennyj17 said:

I believe and its just my hunch ... MTA is trying to do away with cash/coin fares on board at all ... Just like the Express Buses now.. Tap payments (OMNY/Credit/Debit) will be the ONLY way to ride MTA, and board (LOCAL LIMITED SBS) at any door.  I do see a big policial fight brewing behind loss of Coins payments system wide, but the MTA I think would have the upper hand, they can then claim it would reduce Fare Beating because the Eagle team could be dispersed across the system, and threat of Eagle Teams dissuade Fare Beating, something like that.  

So we can just assume that those with coins can just buy an OMNY card from stores like CVS or Walgreens and use them on the bus? Also, do those cards from the stores come with a free transfer encoded onto the cars?

Also, if fare pre-payment is done away with, then how would bus run times and passenger trip times be impacted? Do you think that trips could be increased by at least 1 or 2 minutes if pre-payment is done away on the SBS?

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

So we can just assume that those with coins can just buy an OMNY card from stores like CVS or Walgreens and use them on the bus? Also, do those cards from the stores come with a free transfer encoded onto the cars?

Also, if fare pre-payment is done away with, then how would bus run times and passenger trip times be impacted? Do you think that trips could be increased by at least 1 or 2 minutes if pre-payment is done away on the SBS?

You're thinking way too far ahead, it hasn't even been detailed if they'll be sold in stores yet.

More than likely, the cards will be sold at subway stations just like regular metrocards.

35 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

You're thinking way too far ahead, it hasn't even been detailed if they'll be sold in stores yet.

More than likely, the cards will be sold at subway stations just like regular metrocards.

Ideally they should also be sold at stores alongside subway stations as well, since there are people who do not live near subway stations that would need to buy OMNY cards for the bus.

For example, I live in Flatlands/Old Mill Basin In Brooklyn, 4 block away from the Utica Avenue corridor. The area does not have a single subway line running through it (a planned Utica Avenue Subway Line has gone nowhere), which means no place to buy or refill fare cards anywhere in the area (aside from the bi-monthly vans). However, there is a potential for added convenience with OMNY.

Up the street from where I live is a Walgreens location on the Northwest corner of Utica Avenue and Flatlands Avenue, by a newly built bus bulb for the SB B46 Local and SBS. That store, whose number of locations is expanding with the merger with Rite Aid, sees a lot of patronage from area residents who stop in to buy certain household goods and prescriptions, such as prescription drugs, candy, even drinks. I personally stop there to pick up some snacks there as well. I do predict that most of these shoppers are also commuters who can not afford unlimited ride card and rely on pay-per-ride cards. By having OMNY transactions take place at Walgreens or other connivence stores, such as Duane Reade, another drugstore nearest to me, these customers can not only continue to shop for their goods there, but they can also buy and refill their (future) OMNY cards at the same time, thus not worrying about not having enough money on their cards before getting on the bus. It’s a genius idea. Why haven’t they though of this with MetroCards long ago? This added benefit would most certainly increase bus ridership since lower income people now have a great place to conduct OMNY transactions. They should’ve done this long ago with MetroCard, thought i believe the new demand would overload the B46 Local and SBS without the artics.

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Ideally they should also be sold at stores alongside subway stations as well, since there are people who do not live near subway stations that would need to buy OMNY cards for the bus.

For example, I live in Flatlands/Old Mill Basin In Brooklyn, 4 block away from the Utica Avenue corridor. The area does not have a single subway line running through it (a planned Utica Avenue Subway Line has gone nowhere), which means no place to buy or refill fare cards anywhere in the area (aside from the bi-monthly vans). However, there is a potential for added convenience with OMNY.

Up the street from where I live is a Walgreens location on the Northwest corner of Utica Avenue and Flatlands Avenue, by a newly built bus bulb for the SB B46 Local and SBS. That store, whose number of locations is expanding with the merger with Rite Aid, sees a lot of patronage from area residents who stop in to buy certain household goods and prescriptions, such as prescription drugs, candy, even drinks. I personally stop there to pick up some snacks there as well. I do predict that most of these shoppers are also commuters who can not afford unlimited ride card and rely on pay-per-ride cards. By having OMNY transactions take place at Walgreens or other connivence stores, such as Duane Reade, another drugstore nearest to me, these customers can not only continue to shop for their goods there, but they can also buy and refill their (future) OMNY cards at the same time, thus not worrying about not having enough money on their cards before getting on the bus. It’s a genius idea. Why haven’t they though of this with MetroCards long ago? This added benefit would most certainly increase bus ridership since lower income people now have a great place to conduct OMNY transactions. They should’ve done this long ago with MetroCard, thought i believe the new demand would overload the B46 Local and SBS without the artics.

Unlike Metrocards ... OMNY you will be able to refill from the App on your phone. No SmartPhone; you can call a automated number to Refill. You can have your OMNY Auto Refill. Also as long as you have a Debit Card (Don't need a bank account to have a debit card) you can pay your fare by "Tapping", Don't need a physical card you can use OMNY through ApplePay, SamsungPay, or AndroidPay on your phone ... With OMNY bringing loads more convenience than MetroCard, MTA will see it as a opportunity to do away with Cash Fares on board all buses. Instead of those Big Honking 90's style fareboxes, when you board the bus, you will be presented with the singular OMNY Tap Pad as the only form to pay.. All Xfers will be issued through OMNY. OMNY is connected in real-time through the bus's WIFI/LTE connections, so no hardwiring is needed. 

Edited by Lennyj17

54 minutes ago, Lennyj17 said:

Unlike Metrocards ... OMNY you will be able to refill from the App on your phone. No SmartPhone; you can call a automated number to Refill. You can have your OMNY Auto Refill. Also as long as you have a Debit Card (Don't need a bank account to have a debit card) you can pay your fare by "Tapping", Don't need a physical card you can use OMNY through ApplePay, SamsungPay, or AndroidPay on your phone ... With OMNY bringing loads more convenience than MetroCard, MTA will see it as a opportunity to do away with Cash Fares on board all buses. Instead of those Big Honking 90's style fareboxes, when you board the bus, you will be presented with the singular OMNY Tap Pad as the only form to pay.. All Xfers will be issued through OMNY. OMNY is connected in real-time through the bus's WIFI/LTE connections, so no hardwiring is needed. 

Well it’s about time that my old hometown starts to getting into the act of “tapcards” SEPTA is nearly complete with their phase of all modes using tap cards called “SEPTAKey”. With NYCTA, OMNY will be in good use, but outside of the system venders who sell cards, like check cashing places, bodegas, supermarkets and drug chains, be careful. A $1 fee may be added if OMNY taps get either bought or refilled there, Same thing as buying a new Metrocard today. 

Btw: 

MTA buses never accepted paper money, but people still throw in change for the buses.  

But tap cards eliminates the token booths clerks as well. They will become customer service reps at stations. 

So get ready for the “tap” era

On 5/26/2019 at 12:32 PM, King Transit said:

God, you nearly killed me to heaven and I nearly peed myself after you just posted this. Is it really going to be artics(46+SBS) ???? Since the beginning of last week and my birthday week(before last week), I am happy to seeing construction all over Utica Ave. Especially, Winthrop's select stop and LCL were shifted away from the repair shop to the storage area with new loitering stands(alternative to seats) which is giving me an exciting clue. I hope to see unwrapped #7650 on the B46 LCL so that I can shoot that.

So you are telling us that you pissed on your pants after you saw a posting about NYCTA NFXD40 7650 unwrapped from “+” service....

hmmm..... 

let me clear my throat on something. Your enemy, the most vicious DOB must have something up their sleeve for having that bus unwrapped. Unwrapping buses is so easy, maybe they are trying to copy what DC is doing, using red paints for locals and blue for express. Then NYCTA should try this method: 

local buses in regular blue

limited buses in purple paint (but limited bus routes must be renumbered) 

SBS buses in sky blue paint

express buses (BxM, BM, QM & the SIM games) in green paint. 

But let’s just wait until the DOB decides on when they’ll start using Accordion buses on the Brooklyn Forty-six select bus service

Edited by FLX9304

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

So you are telling us that you pissed on your pants after you saw a posting about NYCTA NFXD40 7650 unwrapped from “+” service....

No, I didn't piss my pants LOL. It was the excitement that nearly caused it too happen(not naturally).

45 minutes ago, King Transit said:

No, I didn't piss my pants LOL. It was the excitement that nearly caused it too happen(not naturally).

Damn, there's a shock. No need for bladder problem records here.  

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

hmmm..... 

let me clear my throat on something. Your enemy, the most vicious DOB must have something up their sleeve for having that bus unwrapped. Unwrapping buses is so easy, maybe they are trying to copy what DC is doing, using red paints for locals and blue for express. Then NYCTA should try this method: 

local buses in regular blue

limited buses in purple paint (but limited bus routes must be renumbered) 

SBS buses in sky blue paint

express buses (BxM, BM, QM & the SIM games) in green paint. 

But let’s just wait until the DOB decides on when they’ll start using Accordion buses on the Brooklyn Forty-six select bus service

Why everybody keep separating limited with SBS?..... SBS is limited and the word limited will be replace. Today on sb44+ I pulled out one of the 7600’s sbs46+ buses to operate on the sbs44 and the announcement display screen had the exact words printed, “Welcome Aboard B44 SBS to Limited Sheepshead Bay” <—— clearly. 

Bus 7650 was unwrap from sbs scheme to local scheme because it will be place on local service. A few 7600’s is due for unwrapping soon and YES sbs46 will have artics running on the line soon and I wouldn’t be surprise if it starts this summer pick but we shall see. At the moment some of the bus stops on Utica ave has been modify or are currently under construction for longer and lower platform for artic buses.

I just want everyone to understand, that teal blue on sbs is the brand theme that MTA will keep to identify a sbs bus and thats not changing anytime soon. Lets stop thinking out of the box and focus whats there now especially changing a theme or scheme color is the last thing on transit agenda. 

On 5/26/2019 at 6:14 PM, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

On 5/26/2019 at 5:15 PM, Around the Horn said:

EDIT:

I understand the confusion many have with OMNY proposals and current Select + implementations. MTA use of Select + on many but not all lines was to decrease passenger dwell times on lines like the M86, M79, M60, M34, M23 and Q44 where there is no replacement of a limited service. These lines are the only services is most corridors, this in turn makes the select bus service branding ineffective and waste of money because there are no other services that need be told apart from. Other then the fact that you have to pay before you board the only thing useful that the select bus service branding has brought so far is bus lanes, which alot of the times with no enforcement is useless and maybe TSP. OMNYs purpose is partially, ALSO to decrease dwell times, which in my opinion could have saved millions of dollars on these particular lines. I think that those lines that i mentioned should've never have been SBS branded.