MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

14 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The XDE40s are projected to be direct replacements for the vast majority of the 2004-2005 Orion VII Hybrid batch. But of course, things can change, they could go to The Bronx, but I don't really see that happening.

And no, not every NG will be displaced from The Bronx.

With 9510 in the system where do you think that bus will go?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Also, some spec details have come out for the new order of XDE40s....which includes plug-style rear doors(like 5311). It appears that they are making preparations for all-door boarding for the future.

Have they by any chance listed what hybrid system they'll have? (I'm personally hoping for BAE)

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder why the TA didn't demo an Nova Hybrid and an Nova all electric bus, would have been nice to see Nova hybrids in this city in addition to the XDEs...

New Flyer had a better price point than Nova, plus they were able to get the buses in faster than Nova.

However, regardless, the platform, LFS, is qualified to be in the city, so honestly, it didn’t really stop them from being considered.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Have they by any chance listed what hybrid system they'll have? (I'm personally hoping for BAE)

Not yet, but from what I gather, it might be split...

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder why the TA didn't demo an Nova Hybrid and an Nova all electric bus, would have been nice to see Nova hybrids in this city in addition to the XDEs...

See below.

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

New Flyer had a better price point than Nova, plus they were able to get the buses in faster than Nova.

However, regardless, the platform, LFS, is qualified to be in the city, so honestly, it didn’t really stop them from being considered.

Nope. That's not the reason at all. Nova has had problems meeting with delivery schedules.

Just now, Cait Sith said:

Nope. That's not the reason at all. Nova has had problems meeting with delivery schedules.

Damn. I keep getting that one wrong.

Also, at this point, with Nova having a delivery problem, can’t they give bus manufacturers monetary incentives to encourage them to meet the delivery schedules, and also a penalty for being late? I feel that Nova in particular is not being punished for their tardiness, and they still getting small parts of orders that they still have problems getting delivery on time. Maybe a certain dollar amount incentive for meeting each milestone early by up to 60 days and a slightly higher fine each day a certain milestone is delayed past a certain deadline This should motivate the companies to meet the delivery schedules faster than get them in service quicker for paying passengers to enjoy.

4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Damn. I keep getting that one wrong.

Also, at this point, with Nova having a delivery problem, can’t they give bus manufacturers monetary incentives to encourage them to meet the delivery schedules, and also a penalty for being late? I feel that Nova in particular is not being punished for their tardiness, and they still getting small parts of orders that they still have problems getting delivery on time. Maybe a certain dollar amount incentive for meeting each milestone early by up to 60 days and a slightly higher fine each day a certain milestone is delayed past a certain deadline This should motivate the companies to meet the delivery schedules faster than get them in service quicker for paying passengers to enjoy.

Monetary incentives won't help when manufacturers have other customers to tend to. For example, the 8090-8503 batch was delayed by months because of some pretty significant issues arising with SEPTA's batch. It came to a point where the MTA decided to change the rear setup to SEPTA's so that production and delivery can come faster.

We have penalized manufacturers before, most notably with Orion, when we got 4701 and 4702 as free buses.

2 hours ago, IAlam said:

I really hope Nova'a can pull through in the future. New Flyer's buses aren't as great as they look, and they're slowly start to resemble Gillig's to me. I guess they focus on quantity over quality these days.

How many plants do they have? Should they consider another one to speed up future deliveries? I think New Flyer has like 3. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

How many plants do they have? Should they consider another one to speed up future deliveries? I think New Flyer has like 3. 

New York and Canada.

New Flyer has two in the States and one in Canada(I think).

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

New York and Canada.

New Flyer has two in the States and one in Canada(I think).

New Flyer has 3 plants in the USA and one in Canada. Now gonna change to 2 in Canada and 5 in the USA with the purchase of Alexander Dennis and opening of Jamestown NY plant. Im also not counting the MCI plants and Arboc plant which would add another 3 plants.

Total Plants for New Flyer Group 

Canada

New Flyer Winnipeg Manitoba 

MCI Winnipeg Manitoba

Alexander Dennis chassis plant Vaughan Ontario

USA

New Flyer St Cloud Minnesota

Crookston Minnesota 

Anniston Alabama

Jamestown New York

MCI Pembina North Dakota

Arboc  Middlebury Indiana

Alexander Dennis  Nappanee Indiana  

Edited by theaveragejoe

2 minutes ago, theaveragejoe said:

New Flyer has 3 plants in the USA and one in Canada. Now gonna change to 2 in Canada and 4 in the USA with the purchase of Alexander Dennis. Im also not counting the MCI plants and Arboc plants which would add another 3 plants

Three? I didn't think the Jamestown plant was a full blown plant.

19 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Three? I didn't think the Jamestown plant was a full blown plant.

Jamestown is listed on NFI site as a manufacturing plant. Looks like they want to do this so they can get more NY state orders to compete with Volvo (Nova/Prevost) on NY state orders. I would not be shocked if other NFI brands would be partly built here as well.

9 minutes ago, theaveragejoe said:

Jamestown is listed on NFI site as a manufacturing plant. Looks like they want to do this so they can get more NY state orders to compete with Volvo (Nova/Prevost) on NY state orders. I would not be shocked if other NFI brands would be partly built here as well.

I forgot all about the plant they got from NABI, oh man lmao.

Last I read, the Jamestown plant was a plant for them to build parts, not assembly of buses.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:54 PM, WestFarms36 said:

Does anyone have an update on 5477, ever since it had that accident in November, the bus has been out of service and 8 months later the bus still is not back.

Sometimes a bus is held in its' collision state by orders of the legal dept. if litigation is involved.

Not saying this is the reason why.

50 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Bus #7649 out of FB unwrapped and was on the B44 and B41 Today.......... 

I reported on that last week in the repainted thread. I saw it on the B46 SBS from the mall. Did it have that teal triangle in the front of the bus for SBS all door boarding when it ran on the B41 and B44?