MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on FB.....We need to see some more XDs or at least the new xd60's

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Right now it's just bad for Brooklyn Division. The way these orders are coming FB won't see any new buses for a while. Hopefully more XD40's do come in.

Grand Avenue batch of XD60 come in this summer I believe.

Any more LFSA's to FB from Manhattan or Bronx? Besides the few that came in earlier this month.

Major update on the alternative fuel/hybrid orders coming soon.

In the meanwhile New Bus Qualification is gearing up to full swing again. With the Proterra evaluation lease, MTA officially starts the program again. This model along with any other unqualified model such as the BYD, will go through full evaluation and shaker testing.

Still pending are at least 2 more electric pilots, 40 foot hybrids, electric hybrids, and CNG artics.

Are we getting another BYD bus?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

"The first five buses in the test are coming from Proterra, which will also lease six depot charging stations to be installed at the Grand Avenue Bus Depot in Queens. The electric buses will serve the B39 and B32 routes in Brooklyn.

The final five buses in the pilot, which will run for three years, will come from New Flyer pending MTA board approval and review and approval by the Office of the New York State Comptroller later this year. That contract would also include charging stations. The New Flyer buses would operate on the M42 bus route in Manhattan. Renderings of the buses from both vendors are available here." https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/MTA-ElectricBus.pdf

I got to say #Epicfail with the New Flyer rendering or more like lazy job...copy and pasting Electric bus on a C40LF and not using the actually XE40 that flyer offers but this the MTA talk about, at least we get to see a C40LF in the New scheme before they start to hit the streets. 

Edited by B102 LTD

"The first five buses in the test are coming from Proterra, which will also lease six depot charging stations to be installed at the Grand Avenue Bus Depot in Queens. The electric buses will serve the B39 and B32 routes in Brooklyn.

The final five buses in the pilot, which will run for three years, will come from New Flyer pending MTA board approval and review and approval by the Office of the New York State Comptroller later this year. That contract would also include charging stations. The New Flyer buses would operate on the M42 bus route in Manhattan. Renderings of the buses from both vendors are available here." https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/MTA-ElectricBus.pdf

I got to say #Epicfail with the New Flyer rendering or more like lazy job...copy and pasting Electric bus on a C40LF and not using the actually XE40 that flyer offers but this the MTA talk about, at least we get to see a C40LF in the New scheme before they start to hit the streets.

Did you ever think that maybe, there's a reason why it's a C40LF render and not a XE40? Just maybe, it's a conversion?

Did you ever think that maybe, there's a reason why it's a C40LF render and not a XE40? Just maybe, it's a conversion?

No I didn't need to... given the following.

I could be wrong, but I thought the press release specifically said that they are Xcelsiors.

They didn't say it was the Xcelsior platform but given the words used (Renderings of the buses from both vendors are available here) in conjunction with the fact NF only makes ElectricBuses with the Xcelsiors, a converted C40LF to a E40LF is out of mind. see the link https://www.newflyer.com/buses/zero-emissions/xcelsior-electric-bus 

but like i said earlier #Epicfail

It makes no sense to convert a (still relatively new) CNG bus.

Wouldn't be difficult to convert the C40LFs to E40LFs? Especially given 5075, 3563, 7746, and 7691?

5075 was just a transmission swap.

7746, 7691, and 3563 were both engine and transmission swaps.

Both are relatively easy to do, compared to an entire conversion. The CNG tanks, fuel lines, engine, transmission, etc. all have to be removed and replaced with the proper battery stuff. It's a lot more complicated.

I could be wrong, but I thought the press release specifically said that they are Xcelsiors.

Any new bus coming from New Flyer is automatically an Xcelsior, that's all they offer

...not counting the MiDis lol

It makes no sense to convert a (still relatively new) CNG bus. [/q]

Actually if you consider future orders, it does.

The XN60 order (if and when passed through to the production stage), will end up leaving a certain depot (JG) with too many CNG's (even after the Orion VII's are done). They can't send them anywhere much else. I'm not saying it is what they're actually doing, I'm saying it's possible given what's currently known about future orders.

It makes no sense to convert a (still relatively new) CNG bus. [/q]

The XN60 order (if and when passed through to the production stage), will end up leaving a certain depot (JG) with too many CNG's (even after the Orion VII's are done). They can't send them anywhere much else. I'm not saying it is what they're actually doing, I'm saying it's possible given what's currently known about future orders.

Rick if do the math u will see that the {jg} excess 40"cng's have to be transferred to {wf} because the new orders don't cover the requirements for operation.

The preliminary plan is for the XN60s to go to Gleason for fleet expansion (the XN40s is more than enough to retire the VIIs) for the B35, and to West Farms to retire their VIIS, and push the Novas out to other places so the last of the D60s can get the boot.

If you look at it, WF is getting the majority of the XN60 order

Correct Turtle, and there still will be some C40's left over. We'll just wait and see, I was just theorizing the possibility based on a few things including the numbers I crunched too, which I have different ones from limitednyc apparently. I see that WF is also getting an expansion fleet, the potential Bx6 SBS is also supposed to have artics.

Edited by Rick44

Correct Turtle, and there still will be some C40's left over. We'll just wait and see, I was just theorizing the possibility based on a few things including the numbers I crunched too, which I have different ones from limitednyc apparently. I see that WF is also getting an expansion fleet, the potential Bx6 SBS is also supposed to have artics. 

are u assuming wf become all cng? i'm not.

are u assuming wf become all cng? i'm not.

Think about this: WF has 67 diesel Artics. So if you do the math right, they get 70-80 while JG gets 30-40, bumping at least 45-60 C40s to WF to replace the outgoing O7 CNGs that's remaining, the Nova LFSAs will split between other Depots and retiring all D60s in the process

Think about this: WF has 67 diesel Artics. So if you do the math right, they get 70-80 while JG gets 30-40, bumping at least 45-60 C40s to WF to replace the outgoing O7 CNGs that's remaining, the Nova LFSAs will split between other Depots and retiring all D60s in the process

are they planning to keep any diesel artics?

Limitednyc, yes I am more than assuming WF is becoming all CNG.

And I see your math FLX9304, I've got that math for the most part, but the unknown variable is the extra artic buses needed for the Bx6 SBS and what extra C40's may be leftover as a result.

Limitednyc, yes I am more than assuming WF is becoming all CNG.

And I see your math FLX9304, I've got that math for the most part, but the unknown variable is the extra artic buses needed for the Bx6 SBS and what extra C40's may be leftover as a result.

that means they will btw 30-35 c40's right