MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major changes coming to bus orders. We will get more into the details later this evening.

40 foot orders: MTA has decided to scrap the new RFP and reautorize the options for the last LFS and XD40 orders.

274 Novas for Queens and the Bronx. Jamaica will become 100% LFS, all other bus models will be shipped out.

371 XD40's for Brooklyn and Stengel.... Quill may get a piece of the pie, however that is not yet confirmed.

26 XD40's with options for 14 more, and 53 XD60's for MTABC.

As for Hybrids, Nova has officially protested the sole award of XDE40's and XDE60's. In light of that MTA has decided for the first time in decades to take this into consideration. The final decision was to authorize a new RFP for 80 40 footers and 10 artics. The order could also be split. It will also become the newest segment in the 90 unit New Bus Qualification program as MTA has specified they want to evaluate the Allison EP Hybrid system for multiple reasons.

As far as the Bronx XD60's go, the final transfer location(s) have not yet been confirmed to me by the MTA. As of right now both EN and FB are being evaluated for new buses, used buses, and/or a mix of both. As the 6000's continue to roll in some final decisions will be made.

Major changes coming to bus orders. We will get more into the details later this evening.

40 foot orders: MTA has decided to scrap the new RFP and reautorize the options for the last LFS and XD40 orders.

274 Novas for Queens and the Bronx. Jamaica will become 100% LFS, all other bus models will be shipped out.

371 XD40's for Brooklyn and Stengel.... Quill may get a piece of the pie, however that is not yet confirmed.

26 XD40's with options for 14 more, and 53 XD60's for MTABC.

As for Hybrids, Nova has officially protested the sole award of XDE40's and XDE60's. In light of that MTA has decided for the first time in decades to take this into consideration. The final decision was to authorize a new RFP for 80 40 footers and 10 artics. The order could also be split. It will also become the newest segment in the 90 unit New Bus Qualification program as MTA has specified they want to evaluate the Allison EP Hybrid system for multiple reasons.

As far as the Bronx XD60's go, the final transfer location(s) have not yet been confirmed to me by the MTA. As of right now both EN and FB are being evaluated for new buses, used buses, and/or a mix of both. As the 6000's continue to roll in some final decisions will be made.

I would like to see some of the mix breed of XDs & XDEs in the mix. What about the XEs for the B42 & M42. Will the MTA look into NF's different models for both routes? Or may have Manhattanville get XDH or some new design from NF that would be exclusive to them.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I feel as if MJQ should get a piece of the LFS' instead of XD40s if anything. I mean especially being that LFS' are heavier, meaning in the 66th St Transverse they are less likely to sway than the XD40s. At the very least maybe giving MJQ some of the original 8000s series LFS' for the M66 and M72 and maybe even scatter them on other MJQ lines.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Speaking of Xcelsiors, isn't CS portion of the order almost done? IIRC they're only supposed to get 43 of them. They have up to 6017 so that means they only need 13 more right?

These are XD60s to displace their Novas that are in Q44SBS.

They may be up to 6017, but no even numbers on board yet.

Don't think this has been asked before, but are ALL the XD60s in the Bronx going to be going to ENY and FLA if they do end up going to Brooklyn?

26 XD40's for MTA bus. Could EC finally be getting their own (and first) batch of new buses?

Doubt it .... BX is going to be a Nova haven .... Even though ECH is MTAB it still seems to follow BX fleet consistency. Notice how the 99s were swapped for NGs instead of OGs. 

These 40 XDs will probably go to LGA and JFK to finish off the '96 RTSs, maybe send more NGs to ECH to send the remaining 99s to Queens.  

I would love ECH to get new equipment, but because of only having 2 local routes they will probably remain a "Hand-Me Down" depot for local fleet. 

Edited by Lennyj17

Doubt it .... BX is going to be a Nova haven .... Even though ECH is MTAB it still seems to follow BX fleet consistency. Notice how the 99s were swapped for NGs instead of OGs.

These 40 XDs will probably go to LGA and JFK to finish off the '96 RTSs, maybe send more NGs to ECH to send the remaining 99s to Queens.

I would love ECH to get new equipment, but because of only having 2 local routes they will probably remain a "Hand-Me Down" depot for local fleet.

You never know. So far the only new MTABC model that is being accepted at the moment is Xcelsiors. Also, it's been noted that ECH hates handling hybrids and tried to fight to keep their RTS. Point being, it's still anyone's game.

Don't think this has been asked before, but are ALL the XD60s in the Bronx going to be going to ENY and FLA if they do end up going to Brooklyn?

Xd60's to ENY? What route would they use it on...The B82?

As far FB, I can see the SBS46 turning into artic. Its a straight route the only turns is towards the end at Dekalb and at Kingsplaza. Maybe adjust some of the bus stops for the length of the 60's

As far FB, I can see the SBS46 turning into artic. Its a straight route the only turns is towards the end at Dekalb and at Kingsplaza. Maybe adjust some of the bus stops for the length of the 60's

can't run artics on the 46sbs because of space at Dekalb ave

Last I heard it was the 15 and the 82