Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Okay, you're right that I was right in rather terminating Q47 at Vaughn College.

Q48, there are more people between Corona and Flushing, through Roosevelt Av, serving just one (7)<7> Station (Mets - Willets Point) + LIRR, and a (7) Station (111 St), besides (7)<7> Flushing - Main Street.

But then, about my Q23-SBS, i should've be better off letting it go straight via 108 St to airport, little faster than phasing off Q48 to Flushing.

The Q48, (I won't simply throw this route away again just because it's usage is poor in airport) lets see if it is appropriate to go to Jackson Heights w/o following the subway line and let it head South. Since there are lots of people in Corona too, call this proposed route a crosstown, and 103 St and 111 St (7) stations are not ADA accessible. Tell me if you think that's still too indirect.

Existing Q72 will be remained, but due to traffic in LGA, short turning may be happening.

Yeah, a LOT faster than having it (your Q23 SBS) practically encircle Flushing Meadows Corona Park!

You don't have to throw the route (Q48) away wholesale, but what I'm not understanding in all of this is, what exactly is your end goal with these ideas.... You're all over the place.

Which routes Do you want inside the airport?

Which routes don't you want inside the airport?

As far as having a Q48 run to Jackson Heights, what street(s) would this "crosstown" route use?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, i just bumped a thread because, I am reporting my indirect posts as they are not my final suggestions. Next time, I should stick to my drawing pad, brainstorm completely, before I even go to the forum.

BTW, Here is my final plan, based on my maze algorithm of my knowledge in CST 1101 in NYC College of Technology:

To make the route possibly direct, for example, if Q48 heads East, direction is E/N/West = W/S; main direction (East/West) must be head the most, 1st Alternative (North/South) is less frequent, and last (South/North) is least frequent, on each trip.

Outbound Q48

Start at 81 St at North of Roosevelt Av, where Outbound Q32 buses serve;

North on 81 St;

East on 37 Av;

South on Junction Blvd;

East on Roosevelt Av;

North on Main St;

East on 39 Av;

Terminate at 39 Av/138 St, for transfer to Q13, 16, and 28, just ahead.

Inbound:

Start at Union St and North of Roosevelt Av;

South on Union St;

West on Roosevelt Av;

North on Junction Blvd;

West on 37 Av;

South on 82 St;

West on Roosevelt Av again;

Terminate at Roosevelt Av and close to 82 St.

This time, I've made up my mind completely based on my drawing board, that I better off move Q48 to 82 St - Jackson Hts (7) Station because 74 St bus terminus are full.

I also take back what I said about Q72. It should stay as of now.

Overall, routes that I finally want in airport:

M60-SBS, my proposed Q23-SBS, Q70-SBS, and Q72

...and what existing LGA routes I want OUT of airport:

Q47, and Q48

If the disabled want to ride the subway, they have to take Q48 to Junction Blvd (7)<7> station. Nevertheless, in the future, we hope we will have more elevators working at most of popular (7) stations, including 82 St - Jackson Heights, lifting into/from station from street level.

Edited by chenvinny54

Sorry, i just bumped a thread because, I am reporting my indirect posts as they are not my final suggestions. Next time, I should stick to my drawing pad, brainstorm completely, before I even go to the forum.

BTW, Here is my final plan, based on my maze algorithm of my knowledge in CST 1101 in NYC College of Technology:

To make the route possibly direct, for example, if Q48 heads East, direction is E/N/West = W/S; main direction (East/West) must be head the most, 1st Alternative (North/South) is less frequent, and last (South/North) is least frequent, on each trip.

** proposed eastbound & westbound routings **

This time, I've made up my mind completely based on my drawing board, that I better off move Q48 to 82 St - Jackson Hts (7) Station because 74 St bus terminus are full.

Q47, and Q48

If the disabled want to ride the subway, they have to take Q48 to Junction Blvd (7)<7> station. Nevertheless, in the future, we hope we will have more elevators working at most of popular (7) stations, including 82 St - Jackson Heights, lifting into/from station from street level.

Alright, so basically you want to cover the gaps on Roosevelt & on 108th....

I would want no part of a bus along 37th; nor do I believe that gap along Roosevelt is necessarily one that should be filled... The (7) is far too popular/heralded & I can't fathom too many people abandoning it to get to those immediate areas along/around it (Roosevelt av) b/w Jackson Hgts. & Flushing enough to justify running a bus along it.... For discussion's sake though, I will admit that moving the Q48 from the airport to Jackson Hgts. is rather interesting....

With the Q23/your "Q23 SBS", even though we're talking about a difference of 4-5 blocks, I get the sense that the two routes would have an entirely different riderbase north of Corona (av); separate from any newfound ridership that would be of folks wanting airport access..... You can't underestimate that Corona Plaza area... You may end up with a case of the "locals" (meaning, the current Q23) garnering more usage than a fictional SBS as drawn up.....

To sum it up, I'm more emphatic about a bus not covering the (bus) service gap along Roosevelt & more indifferent about covering the gap on 108th..... Gun to my head decision, I wouldn't fill either gap......

As for the airport routes, I don't have a problem kicking the Q47 out of Marine Air..... Like I stated last week or whenever it was, the only issue is where it should end... Which we more or less discussed (of course, other suggestions are always open for discussion)....

I mean what's with kicking the 47 out of Marine Air? Just so it could end in the middle of no where near that Q69 bus terminal? What will serve Marine Air then? Are you guys expecting everyone to go to Central Terminal and transfer to PA bus just to save a runtime of less than 5 minutes?

Edited by Mtatransit

Outbound Q48

Start at 81 St at North of Roosevelt Av, where Outbound Q32 buses serve;

North on 81 St;

East on 37 Av;

South on Junction Blvd;

East on Roosevelt Av;

North on Main St;

East on 39 Av;

Terminate at 39 Av/138 St, for transfer to Q13, 16, and 28, just ahead.

Inbound:

Start at Union St and North of Roosevelt Av;

South on Union St;

West on Roosevelt Av;

North on Junction Blvd;

West on 37 Av;

South on 82 St;

West on Roosevelt Av again;

Terminate at Roosevelt Av and close to 82 St.

Q47, and Q48

Don't think you'll get the desired ridership, other than people trying to save a fare from Flushing. Most people in that area of Jackson Height take the bus TO get to/from the subway, except for maybe the Q66 but even than a lot of people uses the Northern Bl Station there. Just a idea but why don't we route the Q48 up 103/102 St and Q23 continue up 108 St? Not sure about the ridership patterns south of Roosevelt on the Q23, but do they go further north of do they transfer?

I mean what's with kicking the 47 out of Marine Air? Just so it could end in the middle of no where near that Q69 bus terminal? What will serve Marine Air then? Are you guys expecting everyone to go to Central Terminal and transfer to PA bus just to save a runtime of less than 5 minutes?

I'm not caring as much about the runtime saved, as much as I am with virtually nobody wanting to take the Q47 to Marine Air specifically....

As far as the would-be terminal (if it were to get kicked out of the airport), the irony with that comment of yours is that terminal A is situated in the middle of nowhere within the airport & it still garners next to nothing in terms of usage from the rest of the borough....

But to answer that last question, yeah - let those miniscule few take the blue or the red shuttle lines from one of the other terminals to Terminal A....

Not sure about the ridership patterns south of Roosevelt on the Q23, but do they go further north of do they transfer?

In therms of NB usage:

- Forest View Crescent patrons generally either take buses to Metropolitan for the Q54, or to QB.....

- Those that live in "residential" Forest Hills (69th, kessel/loubet, etc) generally don't ride any further than QB...

- Those that get on at QB (or along commercial Austin st) generally ride no further than Corona av; the xfer for the Flushing bound Q58 (at HHE) is rather common one...

- Anyone boarding Q23's in Corona (the neighborhood) are typically off the bus at either Corona Plz. or Northern (Northern is where the Q23 significantly starts to die out).... The xfer at Corona Plz. of course is a common one (those boarding at Corona plz. itself, same deal - they generally aint riding further than Northern.....

Not sure if that answers your question or not.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I'm not caring as much about the runtime saved, as much as I am with virtually nobody wanting to take the Q47 to Marine Air specifically....

As far as the would-be terminal (if it were to get kicked out of the airport), the irony with that comment of yours is that terminal A is situated in the middle of nowhere within the airport & it still garners next to nothing in terms of usage from the rest of the borough....

But to answer that last question, yeah - let those miniscule few take the blue or the red shuttle lines from one of the other terminals to Terminal A....

In therms of NB usage:

- Forest View Crescent patrons generally either take buses to Metropolitan for the Q54, or to QB.....

- Those that live in "residential" Forest Hills (69th, kessel/loubet, etc) generally don't ride any further than QB...

- Those that get on at QB (or along commercial Austin st) generally ride no further than Corona av; the xfer for the Flushing bound Q58 (at HHE) is rather common one...

- Anyone boarding Q23's in Corona (the neighborhood) are typically off the bus at either Corona Plz. or Northern (Northern is where the Q23 significantly starts to die out).... The xfer at Corona Plz. of course is a common one (those boarding at Corona plz. itself, same deal - they generally aint riding further than Northern.....

Not sure if that answers your question or not.....

Regarding the Q47, there are a few people who actually ride the buses up there, I just feel that they aren't going to places along the Q47. They take the PA bus to Central. However there are usually that one person per bus that rides to Marine Term (I believe Delta Shuttle goes there). It might be in the middle of nowhere but its still better than that Q69 stop. Regarding Q23/Q48 Why doesn't the Q23 go directly north on 108 St, and Q48 Bus serve Corona Plaza Riders by routing it Via 103 St? Those who south of Roosevelt can access the train at 111 St

Regarding the Q47, there are a few people who actually ride the buses up there, I just feel that they aren't going to places along the Q47. They take the PA bus to Central. However there are usually that one person per bus that rides to Marine Term (I believe Delta Shuttle goes there). It might be in the middle of nowhere but its still better than that Q69 stop.

Regarding Q23/Q48 Why doesn't the Q23 go directly north on 108 St, and Q48 Bus serve Corona Plaza Riders by routing it Via 103 St? Those who south of Roosevelt can access the train at 111 St

Same could be said about the Q33 (before it got cutback) & the current Q72..... The masses were & still are coming off the subway...

It's less about the areas the Q47 serves & far more about the lack of demand for that part of the airport....

Case in point; there's something to be said when they booted the M60 and the (already under-performing) Q48 from MAT - that says enough for me.... I would not be at all surprised if they eventually kicked the Q47 out of there also & have it either stop dead at 80th/Astoria, or run it to 82nd/23rd (right at that M60 stop heading towards the airport) or something..... At minimum, it's a miracle they haven't gotten rid of that stop at Ditmars/Marine Terminal Rd (before the turn into the airport); always found that stop to be rather unsafe.....

Anyway, yeah, Delta, Hertz, and the Avis shuttles I believe all stop at Marine Air....

As for why the Q23 & the Q48 have the routings they do in N. Corona., IDK for sure...

My best guess would be that it has to do with the street grid (108th being more direct to get to the airport up from Roosevelt)....

• 3 weeks later...

So the N22(A/X/L) was a gigantic failure because quite frankly those buses don't come frequently enough to warrant that many variations.

It got me thinking though: how would a Q43X or a Q46X work out? Peak direction only and when service is highest at its peaks, half of the current Limited buses run nonstop to Springfield and then continue as normal.

It got me thinking though: how would a Q43X or a Q46X work out? Peak direction only and when service is highest at its peaks, half of the current Limited buses run nonstop to Springfield and then continue as normal.

The Q46 LTD used to be the Q44A Express.... 

Westbound: Local to Springfield, non-stop from Springfield to Main, then drop off at the subway.

Eastbound: Pick-up at subway and Main Street, then non-stop to Springfield, then local to outer terminals.

Westbound: Local to Springfield, non-stop from Springfield to Main, then drop off at the subway.

Eastbound: Pick-up at subway and Main Street, then non-stop to Springfield, then local to outer terminals.

Why did they scrap it? (not enough ridership?) or complaints.

I have never heard of that. Can you please provide more information?

Now that Rockville is fully in MTA hands again, how feasible would it be to have Rockville replace the Jamaica depot when it goes for reconstruction? If that could happen even during the timeframe of reconstruction, I would propose the following:

Q4, Q5, Q27, Q77, Q84, Q85, X63, X64, X68 at RV

QV to get Q3, Q17, Q30, Q42

CS gets QCC Q30

Edited by ShadeJay

Now that Rockville is fully in MTA hands again, how feasible would it be to have Rockville replace the Jamaica depot when it goes for reconstruction? If that could happen even during the timeframe of reconstruction, I would propose the following:

CS gets QCC Q30

Not feasible since Nassau County owns the depot and local residents don't want to see a city bus in their neighborhood. The MTA would have to work something out with the next County Executive and County Legislators to prevent RVC from being torn down and replaced with condos.

CS gets QCC Q30

Not feasible since Nassau County owns the depot and local residents don't want to see a city bus in their neighborhood. The MTA would have to work something out with the next County Executive and County Legislators to prevent RVC from being torn down and replaced with condos.

Aside from that, the Q17 would be better at CS because there are plenty of short runs from Flushing to Fresh Meadows. 

The Q14 carried air tbh and I live close to where it used to ran via union. The Q15A serves another purpose because it manages to cut the headways well “supposedly” for the Q15 as it serves all the Q15 stops up to the cross island pkwy. I miss the Q14 but it’s for the better tbh. I always loved an empty bus that ran fast and had those recliner seats on the 1995 Orion V’s all the time. Good memories.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Speaking of the Q15A, totally forgot about this earlier is that residents there hate that bus and they hate the bus running through their peaceful suburb, they’ve blocked a bus before and police were called.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by danielhg121

Speaking of the Q15A, totally forgot about this earlier is that residents there hate that bus and they hate the bus running through their peaceful suburb, they’ve blocked a bus before and police were called.

I can't stand these types of statements. Yes, some vocal and selfish residents blocked a bus when it was first started (and I say selfish because they delayed the bus, everybody on it, and everybody who needed to catch that bus on the return trip. If they want to go swarm the MTA meetings, have at it, but don't delay the service), but at the same time, there's people in that neighborhood who use the bus. For example, in this Google Streetview. To make the general statement that residents of that neighborhood hate the bus is silly. 

Meetings are scheduled at the worst possible time, and people have shit to do.

Like standing in the street for an hour blocking the bus?

The Q14 was originally supposed to be discontinued with no replacement. At the end of March, it was announced that the Q15A would provide coverage in that part of Whitestone. The service cuts took effect at the end of June. So they had 3 months to get something going (especially the elected officials in that area). Send some petitions in, maybe have some retired senior citizens attend some board meetings, maybe hold a weekend rally at one of the bus stops in the area (say, at the park by the old Q14 terminal)...