Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO it is not a good idea to have the (N) terminate at Lex 59 and the (Q) at Canal, especially with the (R) still running and the (N) being relegated to supplementing the (R) on Broadway and 4 Ave

As others have said, have the (N) run 96th to 59th BK or Bay Ridge, and maybe terminate the (Q) at whitehall or suspend it entirely. The passengers will be confused regardless of what service changes are in place on a day like this.

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

Preliminary plans (as always subject to change) show a Plan 5 happening.

In a nutshell, all outdoor platforms will be shut down and trains will be terminating at the closest underground station.

This is NY, so somebody somewhere will complain that the platform edge signs weren't changed to reflect this.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

IMO it is not a good idea to have the (N) terminate at Lex 59 and the (Q) at Canal, especially with the (R) still running and the (N) being relegated to supplementing the (R) on Broadway and 4 Ave

As others have said, have the (N) run 96th to 59th BK or Bay Ridge, and maybe terminate the (Q) at whitehall or suspend it entirely. The passengers will be confused regardless of what service changes are in place on a day like this.

Maybe the MTA is running the trains light to the elevated terminus.

They shut down the entire system for a snow storm back in early 2015 where they still ran train full route to help keep the rails clear and also be used by employees. But most of the time, especially when snow gets actually bad, they keep as many as possible underground and let the snow equipment do their thing. (Snowblowers, de-icers,etc)

Edited by agar io

Or they could run the (N) to 96 Street. 96 Street is more of an (N) thing than 59 Street is a (Q) thing.

I understand why you say that, but the same amount of (Q) trains run to 59th Street, Brooklyn as (N) trains to 96th Street, 2nd Ave. 

I understand why you say that, but the same amount of (Q) trains run to 59th Street, Brooklyn as (N) trains to 96th Street, 2nd Ave. 

"On January 3, 2017, the handful of N trains that short-turned at 57th Street–Seventh Avenue during rush hours were extended to 96th Street using the Second Avenue Subway."

You're wrong.

MTA Service Status

Delays  Posted: 03/14/2017  8:30PM

Due to switch problems at Franklin Av, (S) trains are running with delays in both directions.

Allow additional travel time.

There are switches at Franklin Avenue?

MTA Service Status

Service Change  Posted: 03/14/2017  8:13PM

Due to the NYCT Cold Weather Plan, the following service changes are in effect:

(4) trains are running local between the Bronx and Brooklyn in both directions.

(5) trains are running local between the Bronx and Manhattan in both directions.

(6) trains are running local between the Bronx and Manhattan in both directions.

Must feel great to have so much service. I wonder what the combined TPH is.

I heard there was a stalled (7) train at Hunters Point this morning. Anyone know what that's about?

Due to an investigation at Hunters Point Av, (7) trains are operating a single track operation on the Main St-bound tracks between Court Sq and 34 St-Hudson Yards resulting in extensive delays.

LIRR will cross honor tickets at 34 St-Penn Station, Hunters Point Av, 61 St-Woodside and Flushing-Main St.

As an alternative, customers are advised to take (N)(W) to/from Queens to Queensboro Plaza or (E), (F), (M) or (R) to/from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av.

Of course, the one day I have to take the (4)(5) down to Grand Central...

Service Change   Posted: 03/21/2017  9:04AM  

Due to a sick passenger at 125 St, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound 4.png trains terminate at 149 St-Grand Concourse.

Southbound 5.png trains are running on the 2.png line from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Nevins St

Expect delays in 2.png and 3.png train service.

Now, I should be okay, since the delays will be worse on the (6), what with the express merging onto the local track, but still, lower TPH and minimal delays won't be fun.

This happened again...

Posted 3:07 PM 3/22/17

Due to a fallen tree at Parkside Avenue, the following service changes are in effect:

There is no (B) service between Coney Island-Stilwell Avenue and 145 St in both directions

(Q) trains run via the (N) line between Coney Island-Stilwell Avenue and DeKalb Avenue in both directions

There is no (Q) train service between Coney Island-Stilwell Avenue and DeKalb Avenue

There was a (B) and (Q) train stalling at Kings Highway at 2:34, and I waited 10 minutes until the (Q) conductor said there was a fallen tree... I had to use the even-more-crowded B49 now, as most people did. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

This happened again...

Posted 3:07 PM 3/22/17

Due to a fallen tree at Parkside Avenue, the following service changes are in effect:

There is no (B) service between Coney Island-Stilwell Avenue and 145 St in both directions

(Q) trains run via the (N) line between Coney Island-Stilwell Avenue and DeKalb Avenue in both directions

There is no (Q) train service between Coney Island-Stilwell Avenue and DeKalb Avenue

There was a (B) and (Q) train stalling at Kings Highway at 2:34, and I waited 10 minutes until the (Q) conductor said there was a fallen tree... I had to use the even-more-crowded B49 now, as most people did. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

When that happens, don't they usually turn trains around at Kings Highway (from the south)?

Has the (5) from Flatbush ended for the night?

Due to a train with mechanical problems at 86 St, the following service changes are in effect:

Northbound (4) and (5) trains are running local from Grand Central-42 St to 125 St.

Northbound (5) trains running on the (1) line from South Ferry to Chambers St, then on the (2) line to 149 St-Grand Concourse.

Expect delays on the northbound (1), (2), (4), (5) and (6) train service.

Allow additonal travel time.

Has the (5) from Flatbush ended for the night?

Due to a train with mechanical problems at 86 St, the following service changes are in effect:

Northbound (4) and (5) trains are running local from Grand Central-42 St to 125 St.

Northbound (5) trains running on the (1) line from South Ferry to Chambers St, then on the (2) line to 149 St-Grand Concourse.

Expect delays on the northbound (1), (2), (4), (5) and (6) train service.

Allow additonal travel time.

Flatbush (5) trains end at about the 8pm hour.

Actually, during this incident you would have been able to board a (5) at Bowling Green SB and legally go through the South Ferry loop.